pixeltracker

Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?- Page 5

Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#100re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:36am

That's actually a good point and shows like Blood Brothers need to be directed in that manner. I have been to other shows that have been directed like that though and people still insisted on trying to applaud even though clearly it was inappropriate. People really will applaud at the drop of a hat these days. Literally.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

thenextfiyero Profile Photo
thenextfiyero
#101re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:55pm

not a big fan of it, but guilty of doing it.

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#102re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:02pm

Of course I love the entrance applause!! It feels like your a part of somehting big... especially the amazing experience I had seeing Wicked.... the minute Idina walked on that stage, my life has been changed for good! And on a side note, for example I saw Wicked for a second time in July when Idina wasnt there re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it? but Eden was, and how rude can you be if you didnt applause for the understudy???

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#103re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:33pm

Not as bad as it was when they announced at the beginning of the show that the understudy was going to be on, and people would actually boo. I'm so glad that they've changed that policy.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

riv
#104re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:57pm

Never do it. As a matter of fact, I often don't applaud anything until the final curtain.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#105re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:17pm

No. I would still stand but just not applaud as enthusiastically.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Plum
#106re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:23pm

I have to say the entrance applause in The Light in the Piazza yesterday kind of annoyed me. When Victoria Clark and Kelli O'Hara entered, the audience kind of hesitated- Do I applaud now? Now? How about now?- and it was just plain distracting by the time it actually happened. At least in Spamalot the 4th wall was shattered into such tiny little pieces by the end it barely mattered.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#107re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:34pm

The first time I saw SUNSET BLVD. in London, Patti LuPone's entrance got so much applause that I felt like I was at a basketball game instead of a theatrical production. At least three straight minutes. Her first few lines ("You there, why are you so late?".....et al) got cut off becuase of the applause.

Plum
#108re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:39pm

Reminds me of her atrocious entrance in the Candide concert that aired on PBS. The chorus held up signs announcing her arrival by name. Character? What character? SHE'S PATTI LUPONE; EVERYBODY BOW DOWN AND WORSHIP HER! Grr.

Gothampc
#109re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/26/05 at 4:42pm

I think the next play that I direct, I will have each cast member make their entrance by saying "Ok, applaud now and get it over with" and then let the actor pause.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

mandy2loveRB
#110re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/27/05 at 9:13am

I know some of you hate it, but yesterday's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was a wonderful experience. This is not directed to intentionally allow applause anywhere, but the audience nicely applauded, laughed so much and (especially) Bill Irwin and Ms Turner were handling so well. They are not even "handling," the show just flowed so well. From audience side, felt like we are breathing together and from actors' side...even if he was just being nice, Mr. Iwrin said it was a very good house and stimulating. So...I guess there isn't a way that is should be or should not be. The only thing audience cannot do is not appreciate it, even if you like it or not, and the only thing the actors cannot do is not giving his/her best to the performance...at least they should try.

AnothaPartofMe
#111re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/27/05 at 9:43am

When Hugh Jackman entered in the black-out during the overture of THE BOY FROM OZ, the audience thundered through the remaining music, grew in noise when the lights came up on him playing the piano, and didn't stop until he began singing "The Lives of Me"

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

mikewood
#112re: Entrance Applause - love it or hate it?
Posted: 5/27/05 at 10:12am

"Boy from Oz" was a remarkably interactive show. Jackman spoke directly to the audience several times, at least when I saw it, and that was the definitive planned entrance applause entrance.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Videos