Grey Gardens Reviews

notabb
#100re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/3/06 at 8:59pm

I agree with Wanna Be A Foster and MasterLcZ , Erin Davies is wonderful and just what the 1st act needed. She shows the hairline cracks in the china that make the act 2 Edie possible. I'm so glad they use the beauty of Erins performance for this rather than some corny trauma (and after she saw her pony shot she was never the same) I love this show and I LOVE this score.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#101re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/3/06 at 10:45pm

Don't get me wrong. I saw the show this past Monday and thought that she was great. As hard as Sara Gettlefinger worked at Playwrights Horizons, the role was just ill-suited for her. Erin Davie was so natural and had such a lovely voice, I was very impressed. On another note, the show is in great shape. A huge improvement from where it was at Playwrights.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#102re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 2:22am

"My problem with some of the reviews is that they blame her (and not the material or Greif's direction) for the lack of connection between Act I Little Edie and Act II Little Edie. I believe it is more Greif's fault as well as Dough Wright's"

This is what I said all along when people were complaining about Sara Gettelfinger's performance. I'm not saying everyone should worship the performance, but I think all the flack she was getting for it wasn't fair.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#103re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 2:26am

And, I say again that I don't understand why it's so difficult to believe that the girl in Act One becomes the woman in Act Two.

notabb
#104re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 10:33am

I agree, with Erins performance I had no trouble believing it.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#105re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 12:08pm

Very believable. And if anyone doesn't understand that there is a 30 year period in between that causes that change, they should read the upcoming book written including diary entries from the little edie. New York magazing had an article on it.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#106re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 12:49pm

Well people shouldn't have to read a book or see a movie in order to understand what is going on....

I *imagine* some of the confusion for some audience members may be in that Ebersole is playing different characters in each act. But you have to remember, there are audience members out there who don't realize Edna in HAIRSRPAY is being played by a man. Cluelessness is probably one of the chief requirement for being an out of towner at a Broadway musical.

Wild Roses
#107re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:32pm

Let's not generalize all the out-of-towners. Most people who come to see Broadway shows are probably more just casual fans about Broadway and don't find it neccessary to read the Playbill backwards and forewards and research the show and every actor in it 5 months before seeing the show. Other out-of-towners, however, are Broadway freaks who unfortunately aren't able to live in NYC but see the shows when they get a chance to when they come to NYC.

Michael Bennett
#108re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 12:15am

I'm finally getting around to catching up on my theatre going and saw GREY GARDENS last week.

I first saw the documentary when I was 18 years old. The poster for the film hung in the old Kim's Video on Avenue A and I was instantly fascinated by the story of the two Beales, even going so far as to write Albert Maysles (as brave 18 year olds are often want to do) and to tell him the show simply "must" be done on the stage sometime.

It never occurred to me that "sometime" would be on Broadway and as a musical, but I am thrilled to report that I loved the show. Whatever flaws GREY GARDENS has (and it does have a few) they are pretty much negligible in the face of what a first rate score and even more extraordinary performances can convey.

There is nothing left to say about Christine Ebersole's performance, except to say that in addition to her marvelous artistry as an actress - she is showcasing some of the most gorgeous singing I've ever heard on Broadway.

Mary Louise Wilson's portrayal of "Big Edie" is equally marvelous and the highest praise I can possibly say for both women is that they manage to recall the actual women they portray with eerie transcendence but without ever descending into parody or impersonation. A remarkable feat.

Erin Davie, John McMartin and Matthew Cavanaugh all deliver stalwart support making GG one of the most delightful shows I've seen in New York in years.

Perhaps most thrilling of all: the show was sold out and I had to do the cancellation line to get in. Hopefully the show will blossom and find a solid audience. It deserves that recognition.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#109re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:15am

MB that is happy news, indeed! I've been hoping that word of mouth would have sold tickets. (There have been little adverts--which is always a good sign!--thank you Rosie and the View!)

It truly is one of the most exciting new shows, score and set of performances I've witnessed in many years on Broadway.

I know it's not for everyone, but, damn, who woulda thunk that someone could pull this piece off?

And they actually improved it from the successful run at Playwrights...doesn't always happen!

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Michael Bennett
#110re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:38am

Having now watched the archival video taped for Playwrights Horizons, I definitely agree that all the changes made for Broadway are improvements. Its a great score that I'm sure will only grow in reputation over the coming years.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#111re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:50am

Agreed.

I think there are at least two 'standards' from the score.

"With You" and "Another Winter...".

I used to play in piano bars and I guarantee it's only—if not already—a matter of time before they will be sung by queens everywhere!!

FoscasBohemianDream
#112re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 1:59am

I already saw a drag show in which the drag queen performed "The Revolutionary Costume for Today," so it did not take that long.
I really do believe this show impacted me in a way I had not been impacted by a musical since I saw Passion when I was fourteen years old. It is just such a haunting show featuring such brilliant performances across the board. I am glad Ms.Davie is getting good notices on the message boards to make up for the way in which some critics ignored her performance.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#113re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:23am

Saw it again on Saturday night. It's even better than it was a month ago. I also think Erin Davie has evolded beautifully in the role.

It was sold-out Saturday night, too. Everyone around me was paralyzed at the end of each act.

My composer/writer/critic husband told Christine, "When I saw it Off-Broadway, you were great. Now you're great...and so is the show."

I already bought tickets for my next visit.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#114re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 2:41am

That makes me sooooo happy Pennywise!!

It truly has become not just a show about great performances, but actually just a great show!

FoscasBohemianDream
#115re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 3:05am

I wish I had been able to see the show at Playwrights Horizon, I only have the cast recording as point of comparison. That reminds me that I truly hope the cast recording is re-issued with the new material and Erin Davie's Little Edie. One can only hope.
Nice to know the show is doing good business.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#116re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 11/13/06 at 7:00am

At the Lincoln Center Library, is it possible to watch the playwright horizon's tape just by asking permission?

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#118re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:39pm

Review Roundup

John Simon
The New York Times
USA Today
Variety
Very Positive

The Associated Press
The Daily News
The Newark Star-Ledger
Newsday
Positive

Clive Barnes
TheaterMania
Mixed-to-Positive

The New York Sun
Talkin' Broadway
Mixed

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#119re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 10/3/08 at 3:40pm

wtf?

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#120re: Grey Gardens Reviews
Posted: 10/3/08 at 5:51pm

Thank you, Bustopher, for putting the reviews into perspective. This show got great reviews. Not mixed. You can add Rolling Stone to the positive.

Videos