pixeltracker

"Perfect for US": The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!- Page 55

"Perfect for US": The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!

mina3
#1350re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:06pm

The person who is least likely to be in the show tonight is Kyle Dean. If Aaron is out, his understudy Tim should be on. I'm being cagey because as soon as I say Kyle Dean is definitely not in, something will change - but it's extremely unlikely.

trombonist
#1351re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:36pm

By rights shouldn't Tim have been in last week then mina3?

mina3
#1352re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:50pm

trombonist, last week was a special arrangement. It may happen again in future, or it may not. I don't know if Aaron's Gossip Girl schedule will be that heavy in other weeks.

trombonist
#1353re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/28/09 at 1:52pm

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#1354re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/29/09 at 12:33am

Phenomenal performance tonight! Michael was on as Dan and I LOVED him. I recommend if anyone has a chance to see him, go! Aaron was also in, btw. I'm still overjoyed by lots of stuff that happened tonight and am still processing everything, but I'll write some sort of review and maybe share some pics later.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#1355re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/29/09 at 3:40pm

Nothing earth-shattering to add here... just wanted to say that we finally saw it this past Friday and am thrilled that it surpassed my lofty expectations. Understudies for Dan and Gabe, but no biggie. They were great.

Was quite literally speechless for a while after (which is saying a LOT for me...) Was the strangest feeling where I knew if I talked, I'd start crying again. re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!

Everyone was super nice at the stage door, though JD seemed like she wanted to be ANYWHERE but there...

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#1356re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/29/09 at 3:46pm

I saw the show for the first time just over a week ago; I can't stop thinking about it. Listening to the cast recording constantly.

I gotta see it again soon. I am officially obsessed.

legally_popular
#1357re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 9/30/09 at 12:17am

Review of Monday night's performance. No spoilers really.

My sister and I have seen it twice before, but this time we were with our mom and aunt for their first time. We didn't really tell them what it was about, we just gave them a lot of tissues. They had no idea what they were in for, haha.

Thanks to a very awesome, generous friend at the Booth, we were given four free tickets and a backstage tour beforehand. If any of my FB or LJ friends happen to be on here too you might've already seen all the pictures re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!. If anyone else is curious about hearing about the backstage experience feel free to ask any questions or PM me for a link to my other pages, but right now I'll just talk about the performance.

Alice was fierce. Even my sister said that she was "extra crazy." She wasn't over-the-top or anything, she nails it. I like how she changes things up every time. Jenn and Aaron were perfect. I didn't like Jenn that much at Second Stage, but now I love her. She got so much better. Not that she was bad back then, but she improved so much and really gets this character. Adam and Louis were fine.

My favorite of the night was Michael Berry as Dan though. I'm so glad I got to see him. He voice is really deep. The only problem was that sometimes I had trouble hearing him in some songs in Act 1... I don't know if that was him not singing loud enough, or his mic's fault, or what. But it wasn't a big deal. He was wonderful. After Diana leaves him, he buried his face into his hands and broke down crying. That killed me. And I Am the One (reprise) always gets me too.

I’m always on the verge of tears through "I Dreamed a Dance" and "There’s a World" and then once "I’ve Been" begins I just like lose it. I didn't cry at all through the whole show. I was very emotional for pretty much the entire second act too. It's amazing how even though I know what's going to happen, the music still moves me so much. The show as a whole is just so powerful.

Immediate standing ovation by practically the entire theater. And my family enjoyed it very much.

sondheimfan2
#1358re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:00pm

I'm sure this has been said many times, but I am currently listening to the OBC CD....and how the hell did J. Robert Spencer NOT win a Tony for this performance???

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1359re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:08pm

how the hell did J. Robert Spencer NOT win a Tony for this performance???

He's sort of an unsung hero in that production. I think he's every bit Alice's equal, but Alice gets the lion's share of praise (and all of the praise for her performance is well-deserved, don't get me wrong).

heo1128
#1360re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:08pm

Am I the only one that REALLY doesn't like Michael Berry??

trombonist
#1361re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:09pm

According to Michael Berry's facebook, he will be on as Dan "all week". This is made more interesting by the fact that his wife is due to give birth to twins any day now (also on the status). Could end up being very interesting...

sondheimfan2
#1362re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:23pm

Adam- I agree with you. Yes, Alice is wonderful and has given, what I think, is a legendary performance. But J. Robert nails it as well (speaking from someone who has spent years in denial).

When I see it again, I will be disappointed if he's not in that night.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#1363re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:29pm

When I see it again, I will be disappointed if he's not in that night.

Don't be. He's not as good as Bobby, but Michael Berry is excellent.

trombonist
#1364re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 8:50pm

I definitely agree adamgreer. I do love Bobby, but I love Michael's take on the role as well. It's different, but that doesn't equal bad. From all reports, he is getting better and better in the role with each performance.

legally_popular
#1365re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 9:15pm

I haven't seen Bobby since April, but everyone talks about how amazing he has gotten so now I really want to see him again. He wasn't bad back then, just not at the same level as Alice.

And of course I loved Michael's performance like I mentioned. If anyone can see him this week, go for it!

#1366re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/1/09 at 9:25pm

Bobby has definitely gotten better. It's amazing what he has discovered in Dan over time.

GabeDiDanNatalie Profile Photo
GabeDiDanNatalie
#1367re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 3:23pm

For the Aaron Tveit fans, here is a report on his contract with "Gossip Girl".

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/02/gossip-girl-exclusive-nates-hot-cuz-returns/

Ok so "at least six episodes" would have to mean lots of missed performances. I am sort of surprised that the producers brought him back to have him miss so many shows, unless he signed the GG deal after he came back with special permission.

Going again next Sunday....since they don't tape Sundays, I am hoping to see it with him one last time.
Aaron "Gossip Girl"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#1368re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 3:36pm

HA, that's an awful picture of Aaron.

Sparklesss Profile Photo
Sparklesss
#1369re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 4:06pm

Agreed, when i see that pic i'm like uhh is that the same person? Good for him, 6 episodes seems like a lot of shooting time!

AwesomeDanny
#1370re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 4:32pm

Quick question: I was telling my sister who watches Gossip Girl that Meghann Fahy (understudy for Natalie) was on Monday's episode, but she didn't know who I was referring to. I don't watch the show, so does anybody know her character's name?

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#1371re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 4:41pm

According to Hollywood.com, the character's name is Devyn
Link

#1372re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 4:44pm

I don't know that they said her character's name. Tell your sister she was the secretary in the office who talked to Chuck.

BlackCabbiTabbi
#1373re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/3/09 at 11:32pm

Does Alice Ripley ever come out the stage door after matinees?

trombonist
#1374re: 'Perfect for US': The NEXT TO NORMAL love thread!
Posted: 10/4/09 at 8:28am

BlackCabbiTabbi - As I understand it, no, she doesn't.
Updated On: 10/4/09 at 08:28 AM

Videos