pixeltracker

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread- Page 6

Now is Our Time, Ragtime: The Official Ragtime Love Thread

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#125I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 3:44pm

Just a reminder: There's a talk-back scheduled after tonight;s show featuring Marcia Milgrom Dodge and Terrence McNally

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#126I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 4:38pm

Can we discuss a little bit the differences between the original production and this production? I didn't see the original, and knew most of the music before I saw this revival.

There are some definite differences, even between the cd and what they sing onstage. Most interesting to me is that they cut the first scene of the second act (the dream?) from this production.

I believe "Harry Houdini, Master Escapist" has more or less been cut since the first tour and is no longer part of the show. Other songs, such as "He Wanted to Say" have been cut down or included as optional songs. I'm glad that they included it in this production.

The biggest differences for me are in the staging. The OBC staging was opulent, with huge set pieces, but in my opinion the staging was somewhat uneven. Some scenes were performed using large set pieces (moving ships for "Journey On;" the upstairs and downstairs of a house for "Courtship/New Music;" a moving bridge during "Success"), while others were performed on a nearly empty stage. Because the Ford Center's stage was so large, the actors were sort of swallowed up by the empty stage space. Graciella Daniele's choreography was inspired, though, and IMO better than Marcia Milgram Dodge's.

I think Ragtime benefits a lot from the current staging. I haven't seen it in DC, but I think they struck a nice balance between spectacle and intimacy and the staging is on the whole more consistent than in the OBC production. There've been some cuts here and there, even since DC from what I've heard, but the production that's playing on Broadway now is pretty close to my ideal version of the show.

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#127I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 4:43pm

anyone hear that they will release a Cast recording?

taylorPHENOMENON2
#128I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/22/09 at 11:33pm

At the talk back someone asked about it tonight. They said they don't know yet.

raulmark Profile Photo
raulmark
#129I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/23/09 at 12:02am

Thanks I think I can, I think I can, I think I can I guess that's better than a No. I'd prefer a recording of this revival, because I have that connection rather than the OBC.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#130I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 12/23/09 at 12:14am

^same here

taylorPHENOMENON2
#131I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/1/10 at 7:39pm

Anyone else love the Gene's Time episodes?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSchrader99

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#132I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/2/10 at 6:23pm

Audra McDonald was at the matinee today.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ashley0139
#133I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/2/10 at 6:44pm

I would be really interested to hear what she thought about it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Luv2goToShows
#134I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/2/10 at 8:55pm

Caught the Matinee, really enjoyed the show, had Orchestra seats, looks like it was pretty much a full house. It is really too bad the show is closing. : (

Audra McDonald came in by herself, sat in an Aisle seat a couple of rows ahead of us. Several people approached her (before the show and during intermission) and asked for her autograph, wonder it they knew she played Sara at one time.

kate2
#135I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/2/10 at 9:41pm

I was at the matinee too and wasn't sure if that was Audra or not! I didn't see anyone approach her so I assumed it wasn't. Guess I was wrong! Anyway, my dad and I both really enjoyed the show. Such a shame it has to close.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#136I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:49pm

so I was at Seth's Broadway chatterbox today and Bobby Steggert mentioned that they'd be recording 6 songs "Your Daddy's Son", "Wheels of a Dream", "New Music", "Ragtime", "Buffalo Nickel.." and one other that i'm forgetting that will be on a compilation of Ahrens & Flaherty's new work.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#137I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/29/10 at 3:39am

Wow, cool.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#138I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/31/10 at 1:22am

YES!!!!

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#139I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/31/10 at 1:36am

Wow, what a nice surprise.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#140I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Posted: 1/31/10 at 1:05pm

Hopefully that one other song would be Back to Before.

Blockhead24, can you please give us a brief run down about what else Bobby said at Seth's Chatterbox, especially for those of us who could not attend? Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Videos