AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#125AMERICAN PSYCHO Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:05pm

With only three more new musicals opening this season (Waitress, Tuck Everlasting, and Shuffle Along..., unless that ends up being eligible as a revival), it should be interesting to see how the critics will respond to all of them.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#126Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:05pm

Good lord, I liked the show here in the UK and I'm rooting for it in the US, sorry to be passionate about theatre (damn me to hell). And please tell me the ones I've marked positive that are not positive? As well as working as an award winning playwright and director here in the UK I have worked as a critic for 6 years (as well as working for Broadway World UK) so the ones I've posted and labelled are just as I see them.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#127TUCK EVERLASTING - Reviews
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:11pm

....but the world goes 'round

After Eight
#128Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:18pm

Songanddanceman,

Don't let the negative people here get you down. I don't understand why some people's enthusiasm for shows vexes others to such a degree. This is a board for those who love theatre, is it not? So song..., I say like what you like as much as you please and champion what you like as much as you please. Those who don't want to read your thoughts can simply use the ignore feature.

songanddanceman2
#129Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:21pm

Thanks luv 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#130Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:31pm

After Eight said: "Songanddanceman,

Don't let the negative people here get you down. I don't understand why some people's enthusiasm for shows vexes others to such a degree. This is a board for those who love theatre, is it not? So song..., I say like what you like as much as you please and champion what you like as much as you please. Those who don't want to read your thoughts can simply use the ignore feature.
"

That might be the funniest thing ever posted here, seeing as how anyone expressing praise for one of the many shows you despise seems to send you into a fit. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

songanddanceman2
#131Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:34pm

Must we argue and bitch really? 

neonlightsxo
#132Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:35pm

Yes, that's what we do here. After Eight, that's a load of crap considering you're the most negative person on this board, bar none.

After Eight
#133Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:36pm

^

Ww,

Hardly. I just add my own voice to the conversation, that's all.

Incidentally, did you notice that Hand to God, which received unanimous raves from the NY critics, is now ending its London run early? I wonder why that happened.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#134Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 3:39pm

That's the single weirdest post I've ever read by AE.

It is so completely out of character and contrary to how he acts that I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or if he's had a stroke.

....but the world goes 'round

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#135Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 7:59pm

Thanks for taking the time to find , read and post all the reviews songanddanceman2.   I for one, appreciate and admire the time, dedication and passion you have had for it.         Seeing AP tomorrow night.  Very much looking forward to it!  Thanks for all the posts!

songanddanceman2
#136Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 8:29pm

Aww thanks lovely, enjoy the show. 

kadu335 Profile Photo
kadu335
#137Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/22/16 at 10:53pm

QueenAlice said: "I think Show-Source is a great website (thanks for posting it Kad).

Interesting to look at how mixed the critical reviews are for almost all the new musicals this season (save Hamilton of course), especially since most believe this has been a very strong year for new shows. Like I said earlier, I don't think we can really look to the reviews as a good gage for how the Tony nominations will go.

AMERICAN PSYCHO: 61 (and still adding reviews)

ALLEGIANCE: 71

BRIGHT STAR: 67

DISASTER: 65

HAMILTON: 94

ON YOUR FEET: 75

SCHOOL OF ROCK: 74
"

Interesting to see On Your Feet second on that list...

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Eliva1
#138Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 3:28am

dramamama611 said: "Eliva1 said: "Everyone made this music

Thank You for all the Bullshtople hated it.  Many were in the middle....don't blame your interpretation on the boards.

I liked, I respected ...but I didn't love. 

"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#139Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 10:11am

Roma Torre of NY 1 just gave it a rave.

Poster Emeritus

joe5 Profile Photo
joe5
#140Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 11:07am

I saw AP . along with Shuffle Along , Disaster and The Father last weekend . AP , is a musical for the 21st century .  The technical aspects of the show are phenomenal . And should be awarded in that merit alone . I also enjoyed the music , sounds of my favorite bands . Depeche Mode and New Order were very evident in the score . And Benjamin Walker was killer !

To see this get slaughtered by some reviewers , puzzles me . When a show like Disaster garnered better reviews . And I thought it wasn't Broadway worthy . Personally a waste of a show for me .

i truly enjoyed Shuffle and The Father . Great performances by Audra and Frank . 

Hoping the best for AP !

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#141Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 11:24am

I think critics (for better or worse) hold 'serious, new musicals' up to a different scrutiny than they do a jukebox musical or camp-comedy like "Disaster!"  which is why you are seeing the review round up for shows like "On Your Feet" getting a higher score than most of the new musicals that opened this season.  I think you will likely see "Waitress" and especially "Shuffle Along" held up to that different scrutiny as well.

I think "Waitress" will likely get fairly positive notices and "Shuffle Along's" reviews are going to be like PSYCHO completely all over the map.   

I hope the Tony nominators take the reviews with a grain of salt and go for the works that are challenging with true moments of genius, whatever flaws they feel lie in the piece as a whole.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

songanddanceman2
#142Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 12:58pm

I literally have zero interest in Waitress, I feel already like I would have seen it all before. Shows need to be more like American Psycho and Hamilton, pushing things forward rather than the typical retread 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#143Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 1:06pm

I think there is a place for all of them. I thoroughly enjoyed WAITRESS, though I recognize its producers picked the property specifically for its commercial potential. But its cleverly staged and I do think Sara Bareilles is doing something fresh with the music.  If every show was as divisive as AMERICAN PSYCHO or even SHUFFLE ALONG, there wouldn't be a market for Broadway shows. The real miracle is that a show like  AP can be on Broadway at all.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Johnnywhatwhat2 Profile Photo
Johnnywhatwhat2
#144Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 1:10pm

Amen to that songanddanceman! I saw the show again earlier this week and it's truly boundary-pushing, provocative and exciting. The work the creative team did during previews was outstanding, really really tightened up the show and the cast has hit their stride. I'm telling everyone to run, not walk - an amazing piece of theater.

songanddanceman2
#145Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 1:45pm

I don't think Waitress is something that shouldn't be around, I just meant for me it holds little interest (same with Bright Star or Tuck), I've just got rather bored of musicals, imagination and creativity has just become a Xerox copy of things before. When a show truly tries something new I will be its biggest cheerleader 

JM226
#146Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 4:15pm

"I've just got rather bored of musicals, imagination and creativity has just become a Xerox copy of things before. When a show truly tries something new I will be its biggest cheerleader"

oh, totally. Me too!!! Like AMERICAN PSYCHO. I love that it's a completely original musical and not a rehash of preexisting source material, like a book or movie! Oh, wait....

Sunny11
#147Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 4:25pm

But the concept behind American Psycho is original. How often is a murderer the central protagonist of a musical? 

songanddanceman2
#148Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 4:27pm

JM226 said: ""I've just got rather bored of musicals, imagination and creativity has just become a Xerox copy of things before. When a show truly tries something new I will be its biggest cheerleader"

oh, totally. Me too!!! Like AMERICAN PSYCHO. I love that it's a completely original musical and not a rehash of preexisting source material, like a book or movie! Oh, wait....

Nobody mentioned source material, the creativity behind the production etc are something truly unique.

JM226
#149Thank You for all the Bullsht
Posted: 4/23/16 at 6:03pm

just as it is for TUCK and WAITRESS. you're trying to make a factual argument based on a subjective art form. What look consider "creative" is up for debate 

Videos