pixeltracker

Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .- Page 6

Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#125re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/9/05 at 11:10pm

i know this was much earlier in the message board but i totally disagree with 'ljay889'

RENT, in my thoughts was different from any other musical, i mean sure after RENT...there was more like it but not as good. To combined a message like it did and the rock-opera music makes it definatly in the top TEN. No doubt.Of course it wasn't your 'tipical' broadway show. But it was definatly loved. I'm not saying that you hated it or anything, i just greatly disagree with you about it not being in the top ten.

people have different thoughts, thats all.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#126re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/10/05 at 6:16am

melissa errico fan writes "I actually adore THE ACT. "The Money Tree" is one of my favorite showtunes.."

Not sure if you saw the show or just have heard the cast album. I saw it the week it opened, and even at that young age (17) I could tell this was not a show that would survive without its particular star. "City Lights" is usually the song they trot out in Kander & Ebb restrospectives to represent THE ACT. But again none of the songs are plot driven. Funny thing: teh CD has been widely bootlegged in Europe. I found a copy called HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU and it has the whole song program from TEH ACT in order (taken from the OCR) but no where on teh package does it indicate its a cast album. They promote it like a Liza Minnelli disc.

As for lists, if you want to list THE ACT as one of your top ten favourites, go ahead. But if you claim it's one of the "top ten musicals ever" I would have to strongly disagree!

AS I said to Elaine Stritch once, "I'm just a theatre reviewer." And she said "What do you mean JUST a theatre reviewer??? I think you have picked a very fine profession..."

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Urban
#127re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/10/05 at 7:51am

Ragtime
Miss Saigon
Les Misérables
Gypsy
West Side Story
Sweeney Todd
Into The Woods
Jesus Christ Superstar
A Chorus Line
Parade

"Ragtime" is definately my favorite, though the rest are not in any particular order. Heck knowing me I have had a complete blank and forgotten one (it isn't like I keep a top ten list around for occassions like this).

OnTheAisle Profile Photo
OnTheAisle
#128re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 3:53pm

Ten, eh? Let's see...
(count me in with the folks that say anything by Sondheim) That said -

Sweeney Todd
The Fantasticks
Ragtime
Oklahoma (not my favorite, but...)
Into the Woods
On the Twentieth Century

Edited to ditch Oklahoma in favor of Titanic
Lion King
Carousel
Chicago
A Chorus Line

"Not a day goes by..."
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 03:53 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#129re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 4:18pm

Seeing Wicked, Miss Saigon and Aida on these lists makes me giggle.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

dano Profile Photo
dano
#130re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 4:19pm

My list, in no particular order:

A Chorus Line
My Fair Lady
Guys and Dolls
Fiddler on the Roof
Damn Yankees
Into the Woods
West Side Story
Ragtime
Carousel

"Singing is the lowest form of communication" - Homer

musicalmjk Profile Photo
musicalmjk
#131re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 4:48pm

This was important enough for me to stop working on my paper or english and post.

My List not really in order :

Show Boat
Oklahoma
A Chorus Line
The Fantasticks
West Side Story
Les Miserables
Sunday in the Park with George
Rent
My Fair Lady
Porgy & Bess

need to defrag my brain.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#132re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:12pm

This is such a subjective issue. That's what art is all about. Sondheim shows are, generally, difficult for the general public to appreciate. I did a production of A Little Night Music and felt, as an actor, that I grew every night and discovered so many layers as the process went along. Many people go to the theatre to be transported to another world. Wicked does that, but isn't necessarily groundbreaking. However, it is entertaining and if that's what you are going for, MANY shows can fit the bill. If you are looking to leave the theatre pondering the meaning of life, then usually you have to pick a completely different type of show. There are very few shows that fit both bills.

". . . POP . . ."

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#133re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:27pm

Show Boat (1927)
Oklahoma (1943)
Carousel (1945)
Kiss Me Kate (1947
Of Thee I Sing (1931)
Sally (1920)
Girl Crazy (1930)
West Side Story (1957)
Porgy and Bess (1935)
On the Town (1944)

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

MyDreamsRecurring Profile Photo
MyDreamsRecurring
#134re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 5:29pm

This is my much contemplated list, we had this convo at dinner once for about two hours lol

1) West Side Story -one of the first ones i ever saw, and absolute sondheim/bernstein creative genious. the music/story drives me to tears

2) Les Miserables -overdone to death, and people hate it, but it will always stay a profound piece of art in my mind

3) Fiddler on the Roof -one of those musicals you cant help but fall in love with, i've always wanted to play Hodel

4) Into the Woods -gah! i love this show so much lately. The lyrics are genious and the symbolism is thought-provoking.

5) Man of La Mancha- I was just introduced to this show about a year ago and fell in love with the revival soundtrack. the whole story and the idea that we should "live with your heart striving upward, to a a far unnattainable sky" really is special to me

6) Rent- Say whatever you want, but i adore this show. Jonathon Larson is my hero.

7) Jesus Christ Superstar- this soundtrack is awesome to me, certain musical themes, like the guitar right before judas's death, will replay in my mind forever

8 Aida- I've actually never seen this show, but I listen to the soundtrack oh so much. I had to add this one because some of my fave bway songs of all time are on it, "Elaborate Lives", "The Gods Love Nubia", etc.

9) Phantom of the Opera- again, say what you want! this is still a beautiful, well written show re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!

10) The Wild Party- a recent discovery after my sister played Kate in her college musical. this is a great show, and andrew lippa is almost on par with sondheim to me

close runners up: Miss Saigon, She Loves Me, The Music Man, My Fair Lady, Wicked, Camelot

lol i know i have weird tastes in musicals. Sondheim AND Webber..i mean whats that about?? lol

"No two shows are alike in the making. Each show is a living piece of your life in a small unreal world with its own character and integrity; its own new set of memorable experiences and incredible happenings. You begin to love and adapt to its strangeness. Dreams harden into substance. Values come into focus. You wish it would never end. The dream world vanishes like mist before a rising sun; part of you vanishes with it. And back you land in the real world with a thud- fogged, uneasy, jittery, difficult to get along with. There is only one cure. A new show. A new, small unreal world; new visions, experiences, incredible happenings. Again you love it, adapt to it, wish it would never end. But end it does. Another part of you vanishes. That's show business."-Anonymous
Updated On: 4/15/05 at 05:29 PM

Elphaba4
#135re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .and the worst!
Posted: 4/15/05 at 7:32pm

These are mine in order
1. WICKED
2. AIDA
3. RENT
4. FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
5. LES MISERABLES
6. PHANTOM OF THE OPERA
7. GYPSY
8. HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING
9. PIPPIN
10. THE PRODUCERS