Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .

sara4466
#0Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:31pm

what do you think the 10 best musicals ever are?

I think
1. Wicked
2. Rent
3. Avenue Q
4. Sweeney Todd
5. Footloose
6. Brooklyn
7. Tabbo
8. Little Shop of Horrors
9. West Side Story
10. Sound of Music

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:34pm

A Little Night Music
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sunday in the Park with George
Pal Joey
Passion
Kiss Me, Kate
Cabaret
Merrily We Roll Along
Company
Follies

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:34pm

LOL @ # 1,2,3 and 6.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#3re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:54pm

OH GOD!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

sara4466
#4re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:54pm

well I can see why your lauging at Brooklyn, I just like the music but whats so funny about Wicked, Ave Q, and Rent?!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:55pm

Those 3 (well most of the shows on that list) are by no means "bad musicals." But when you consider all the musicals out there - I don't think they could come close to ranking in the top 10 of Best Musicals Ever.

To each his own, though.
Updated On: 4/8/05 at 09:55 PM

KindnessofStrangers
#6re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:56pm

All I can say about your list is to offer the following advice:

See more musicals.

melissa errico fan
#7re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:56pm

I second that, Kindness.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#8re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 9:58pm

I think they were insinuating that Wicked may not be as much of a "classic," or "groundbreaking" show as, say, Oklahoma! or Showboat, or Gypsy.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to mean "best," as in "personal favorite," or "best" as in, well... most artistic, or revolutionary, or whatever.

I'm hoping it's the former...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#9re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:01pm

Definitely see more shows. If you like WICKED and RENT and BROOKLYN and AVENUE Q, you haven't seen anything yet!

Go see/buy/rent:

-MAME
-HELLO, DOLLY
-FUNNY GIRL
-GYPSY
-INTO THE WOODS
-GUYS & DOLLS
-BYE BYE, BIRDIE
-42nd STREET
-COMPANY
-FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
-SOUTH PACIFIC
-THE MUSIC MAN

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

sara4466
#10re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:03pm

well since I "dont know any good musicals" what are some?!

Elizabeth_DeBris
#11re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:06pm

When did anyone say that you "don't know any good musicals?" It's great that you have an interest in musical theatre, but why not expand your horizons a little more?

And CapnHook just posted a very good list of suggestions. re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . . I'd like to add Sweeney Todd, and some of the old Rogers and Hammerstein shows (Carousel, Oklahoma!, The King and I, etc), too.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:08pm

sara,

Nothing is wrong with your taste in musicals. We're just saying that before you say "BROOKLYN" one of the top ten best musicals EVER, see some more shows.

--Aristotle

melissa errico fan
#13re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:09pm

SHOWS TO SEE

Anything written by Sondheim
Show Boat
Of Thee I Sing (the first musical to win the Pulitzer Prize)
The Threepenny Opera
Pal Joey
Anything by Cole Porter

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#14re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:10pm

Porgy and Bess!!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:11pm

sara,

Buy the DVD "BROADWAY: THE GOLDEN AGE" and also "BROADWAY - THE AMERICAN MUSICAL"

--Aristotle

LostLeander
#16re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:13pm

Can I say that about 7/10 of sara's list makes me hurl?

OK. That was no personal attack, just my personal opinions.

My top 10 are: (In no particular order)
Sweeney Todd
The Sound of Music
A Little Night Music
Company
Man of la Mancha
West Side Story
Cabaret
Kiss Me, Kate
Ragtime

Honorable mention: Caroline, or Change and Last 5 Years (as it wasn't ON Broadway)

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#17re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:14pm

1) GYPSY
2) WICKED
3) DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
4) 42ND STREET
5) MY FAIR LADY
6) RAGTIME
7) THE PRODUCERS
re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . . LA CAGE AUX FOLLES
9) OKLAHOMA!
10) CABARET

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#18re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:15pm

in no particular order

Show Boat
Oklahoma
West Side Story
Into the Woods
Kiss Me Kate
RENT
Guys and Dolls
Cabaret
The Beautiful Game

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Elizabeth_DeBris
#19re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:16pm

I guess I might as well make my list. ^^;;

Gypsy
South Pacific
Porgy and Bess
Oklahoma!
Showboat
Kiss Me, Kate
Pal Joey
Cabaret
Company
West Side Story
Dreamgirls

That was eleven. Heh... oops.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#20re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:19pm

1. Porgy and Bess
2. West Side Story
3. Sound of Music
4. RENT
5. Guys and Dolls
6. Into the Woods
7. The Lion King (set a mark for costumes if you ask me)
8. Cabaret
9. Chicago
10. Oklahoma

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

sara4466
#21re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:20pm

ok those musicals you just told me to like listen to or what ever, I have and I was in Music Man and to me you guys just like the boring stupid "white people" plays, I need something with a beat to it so I dont fall asleep, all those old musicals are as boring as hell, no offence or any thing, and when I said best musicals ever I meant it like as an opinion, not really speaking, and I have seen a lot of musicals I just like ones that I can dance to.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#22re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:22pm

I would like to add though that buying or renting some of the titles on Capn's list may not give one the best representation of the work. MAME, HELLO DOLLY!, GYPSY (1962), GUYS AND DOLLS, SOUTH PACIFIC (both) and THE MUSIC MAN (both), just for example, all have changes incorporated into the movies which do not represent the work as it is best with the original songs and running order and such as can be seen on stage... in some cases they even have replacement musical numbers which are inferior to their stage counterparts...

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#23re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:22pm

I know one of the biggest criticisms of Porgy And Bess is that it's a "boring stupid 'white people' play".

My taste is musicals tends to be more modern as well, but there's a difference between personal taste and shows that have been most significant and influential in shaping the Broadway scene. Brooklyn has not changed Broadway. (Thank god.) Cabaret has.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell
Updated On: 4/8/05 at 10:22 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#24re: Top 10 Best Muscials ever. . .
Posted: 4/8/05 at 10:23pm

"ok those musicals you just told me to like listen to or what ever, I have and I was in Music Man and to me you guys just like the boring stupid "white people" plays, I need something with a beat to it so I dont fall asleep, all those old musicals are as boring as hell, no offence or any thing, and when I said best musicals ever I meant it like as an opinion, not really speaking, and I have seen a lot of musicals I just like ones that I can dance to."

Wow. sara, as someone who just joined the BWW community, I must warn you:

Watch what comments you decide to make here. Your words noted above ARE offensive. And ridiculous, which is why I choose to ignore it.

--Aristotle

Videos