pixeltracker

Shakespeare in the Park Lines- Page 7

Shakespeare in the Park Lines

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#150re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:12pm

Settle down ghostlight. You act like I have done something completely wrong. Some people don't have the time to sleep overnight and commit their whole day. I have attempted to get tickets many times but I can't get them. I'm trying so don't point any fingers at me.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#151re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:22pm

Fair point, ghostlight, and I suppose that's true; it'd be the same volume if people trickled in over the wee hours or they all flooded in simultaneously at 7:00 a.m. I'm still just irritated by this "we need to camp out!" precedent because it makes arriving before the sun even comes up too late. Oy. vey. It's also sad to me that people waited until the last minute. Where were people who are so obsessed with seeing it NOW all month? I'll admit that having seen it at three very different intervals and how far it's come, I sort of understand why people wait, but at the same time, I feel like if you were legitimately excited about this production and not waffling on the "Oh I'm gonna wait for the reviews" bandwagon, you would have gone as soon as possible, rain or shine, with critics' approval or not.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 7/10/09 at 02:22 PM

Millie315 Profile Photo
Millie315
#152re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:23pm

Not only are people being toddlers here but also to the people who work at the theatre. The people in the box office are getting yelled at many times a day for not having tickets for everyone. Believe me, if they could give everyone tickets they would. I mean I even heard a woman the other day who didn't get tickets in the stand-by line say "I stood in line for 4 hours, don't tell me I can't get tickets." Not only are the box office people getting yelled at but also the ushers, people will yell if a friend couldn't get in, or other random stuff about the line and whatnot, we can not fix these things.

However the truth is there are not enough tickets for everyone, and everyone has waited until after the reviews came out, thats what I don't understand. Why did people need to read a review if the show is good to see a show.

I'm sorry you guys are not getting in, but you have had a little over 4 or 5 weeks to see the show, why are you waiting for the last weekend? It's not the Publics fault, it's your fault.

ghostlight2
#153re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:25pm

I hear ya, emcee.

Sorry, DCR, I forgot the emoticon. But seriously, this?

"Wow, someone must really hate me. I can never seem to see the show".

and this?

"I lost the Virtual Line again. Ridiculous".

makes it sound as the you lay the blame on your not seeing the show at someone else's feet. I have entered the virtual line every single day and haven't won once. I never once committed my whole day, in fact, I never committed more than a few hours altogether to attend. I did take chances, I did get wet, and I did get rained out once. You're telling me you couldn't try standby even twice early on? Because if you had shown up on any of those seven nights, you would have gotten in. At eight pm.

Just sayin'.

eta: Millie, I am truly sorry to hear that.
Updated On: 7/10/09 at 02:25 PM

luvtheEmcee
#154re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:31pm

Heh, I think we posted at the same time. Or I edited when you posted?

The production is delightful, but I have to say I'm kind of surprised to see people quite so up in arms about seeing it! It just seems like a random thing for people to get so rabid about. But maybe that's just because I'm so familiar with it at this point, so while I've really enjoyed having it here, I don't really "get" that "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO HURT SOMEONE FOR TICKETS" mentality.

visionoflove
#155re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:32pm

Well, both my sister and I have tried multiple times to get tickets and have failed all those times. We weren't able to see the show early in the run (first she was busy, then I was out of town, etc.) and yes we could have seen it separately but for us it's more important to see it together -- the play itself isn't the full experience, it's the fact that we're sharing that experience together.

Anyways, so now we have to camp out to get tickets and we don't see anything wrong with this. If this is what we need to do, for whatever reason, then it just becomes part of the experience. We're trying to make the wait fun and comfortable. We realize that we could have seen it earlier and chose not to, so now we're taking it as it comes.

I know that it is a luxury (and actually great coincidence) that we will be able to camp out tonight in order to get tickets for tomorrow and not everyone is able to do that, but we are so we're doing it. I don't think there's any reason to get all angry about it. We all chose to not see it earlier, for whatever reason, and now it's come down to this.

All of that said, anybody who will be there overnight tonight, prepare for fun times! Pizza, singalongs, whatever.

luvtheEmcee
#156re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:37pm

Of course people have legitimate excuses; I don't want it to sound like I'm denying that. But there is undoubtedly a lot of laziness going on here, too.

I have friends who are probably camping out; not because they would on their own accord, but because at this point, others have made it such that it's necessary.

I applaud anyone who can pull an all nighter and then still make it through that show!

ghostlight2
#157re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:41pm

I'd argue the point that it would be better to have seen it separately than to chance never seeing it at all. I will say that while I have never cared whether I was seated next to a companion during a show I recognize that it is nice to have someone to talk with it about once it's over.

I wish you and your sister the very best of luck. Please be safe, and hope to see you there.

luvtheEmcee
#158re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:42pm

Are you going this weekend? How did you snag tickets? re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines

ghostlight2
#159re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:43pm

Tomorrow? Summer sponsor, before an actor ever set foot on stage.

The previous ones? The good old-fashioned way.

eta: And I have the mildewed clothes to prove it. re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines Updated On: 7/10/09 at 02:43 PM

luvtheEmcee
#160re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:45pm

Heh, yeah, I meant tomorrow.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#161re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:47pm

Yeah, ghostlight get off my back.

I wasn't blaming anyone. I just said I can seem to get into the show.

I wasn't able to see the show earlier in the run because of a little thing called school. I didn't get out of school until June 26th, more than halfway through the run. Then the week after that I was away. I only had this week to enter and I have still had plans. I have entered the virtual line every day and I waited in line for 5 hours yesterday.

So don't give me that crap, you don't have to be so nasty. I never did anything to you so go take the stick out of your @$$

luvtheEmcee
#162re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 2:50pm

Oh, God, I can't even think about the fashion indiscretions I committed when I did the line a morning after it had stormed. I made the mistake of entering the park from the East Side, and by the time I got to the theater, my pants were sopping wet. I was beautiful.

I think if I had known much I was going to love it, I probably would have just dropped the cash (that I shouldn't really be spending). Too late now. re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines Thankfully one of the performances I got to see was the opening, so no fashion crimes involved. re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines

Updated On: 7/10/09 at 02:50 PM

ghostlight2
#163re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:08pm

All good excuses, Chita. An education is very important, and I'm glad you have your priorities straight. I refer you to my earlier disclaimer:

"If you really, truly, couldn't have tried before, then I am sorry for you". And I am. Perhaps I shouldn't have singled you out, so I'll apologize for that too. I will tell you that I literally lit incense for you and sent positive vibes your way yesterday when you said you were in line, and was happy when you didn't post last night, because I thought that meant you got in.

And truthfully, I don't think I was nasty to you. Certainly nowhere as nasty as:

"...so go take the stick out of your @$$".

Points for really nice use of alternative keys, though.

Drunk Chita Rivera
#164re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:12pm

Well if I am singled out and someone is attacking me then I will tell them to take the stick out of their @$$. I'm sorry we misunderstood each other.

luvtheEmcee
#165re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:13pm

I've been known to skip classes for the purposes of attending theater. re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines

Geez, kids today!

Updated On: 7/10/09 at 03:13 PM

marco14
#166re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:15pm

Is anyone trying to get tix this weekend? Any estimates on when you'd have to get there to be sure of tix on Saturday or Sunday? I imagine it'd be pretty early since it's the weekend and these are the final shows...

If people are camping out, does everyone wait outside the park, or do some people go in before the legal opening time?

Millie315 Profile Photo
Millie315
#167re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:18pm

Marco I posted this earlier about today and this weekend:

"I can tell you that today the cut off point in the line was 4:00 am. After they walked the people into the park they sent anyone who got there after 8 home, telling them they most likely would not get tickets. Also the first person in like got there at 9:30 pm last night. So it looks like if you want to see the last 3 shows this weekend you will be spending the night in the park."

This weekend will be crazy!

ghostlight2
#168re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:20pm

"Well if I am singled out and someone is attacking me then I will tell them to take the stick out of their @$$. I'm sorry we misunderstood each other".

Well, DCR, there's fighting fire with fire and fighting a spark with a conflagration, but your point is taken.

Peace?

Marco, it's illegal to enter the park before 6am. Good luck. Seriously? Get there before the show ends tonight. The next two days are going to be stupid crazy.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#169re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:47pm

Marco, before the park opens the line forms on Central Park West at the 81st Street entrance.

visionoflove
#170re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 3:56pm

"I'd argue the point that it would be better to have seen it separately than to chance never seeing it at all."

In retrospect, it probably would have been the wisest decision, but we didn't expect it would get this crazy! haha We knew that the closer we got to the 4th of July and the end of the run, the worse it would be, but for us "worse" meant having to show up at 6 or 7 (which we did) and still get tickets (which we didn't). We were also counting on weekdays being better than weekends which we saw didn't even really make a difference anymore.

Marco, I'm going to try to get tix tonight but haven't figured out exactly what time we'll be getting there. Our plan right now is to sort of play it by ear -- we'll probably stroll through the park, stop by a bar or two, get food, etc., all the while checking on the line every so often to see how it looks.

luvtheEmcee
#171re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 4:45pm

Wow, do you all really think people will be lining up like, before midnight? I don't even know what to advise my friends to do. I really wonder how many people are actually willing to camp out. I would hate for my friends to go up there in the middle of the night and have 200 people already on line. For those who have done the line more recently (I haven't since mid-June), 200 is about the cut-off, or is it higher?

Updated On: 7/10/09 at 04:45 PM

ghostlight2
#172re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 5:28pm

Do I think they will? Absolutely, and if my only shot I had at seeing this show (were I that desperate to see it) is exactly what I'd do. I'd bring a sleeping bag and supplies and set up at CPW and 81st in time to ask all the theatre-goers as they left tonight how they enjoyed the show. Because that's about the only way you're going to see it now, shy of throwing a thousand bucks at the Public.

Mrfreeze Profile Photo
Mrfreeze
#173re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 5:48pm

One of the security people said that the once ran out of tix for the senior line and this one guy who did not get tickets was so angry that he cursed the poor usher's family and unborne child. Talk about being childish! :)

Well..I will be there around 2am Sunday morning. I sure hope that will be enough!

Since they distribute tix in a truly random fashion these days, I guess it doesn't really matter how far back in the line I'll be so long as I'm before the cut off point.

toomuchfreetime.tumblr.com

ghostlight2
#174re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines
Posted: 7/10/09 at 6:22pm

A pox on him and all of his houses? How very Shakespearean of him.

Best of luck, Mr Freeze - but promise me if you get in you won't complain about your seat location?

re: Shakespeare in the Park Lines

Videos