pixeltracker

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread- Page 7

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#150Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:47pm

From what people are saying at what they are telling me is that "Out of the Sun" aka the cancer song has got to go and all his (Tony) songs start with same tempo and all sound the same.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#151Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:52pm

That's exactly how I feel, Robbie2.

Last night I was thinking about the lasting power of this show and although I enjoyed it, I can't see it lasting very long if the reviews aren't stellar. Might be tough to hold out to Tony nominations.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

love is always bette
#152Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:56pm

Oddly enough,Out of the Sun is my favorite song in the show so far!ugh,I feel terrible!

little_sally
#153Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:59pm

I just feel like the point of "Out of the Sun" is reiterated a dozen other times throughout the show so why sing about it?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#154Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 10:05pm

True...why sing it when it's spoken and referenced during the show.
Listening to score as I am typing this and it sounds very much Cy Colemanish with colors of Sondheim mixed with K&E.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

love is always bette
#155Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 10:45pm

I want to like the score more but I can't really put my finger on why I don't. Anywhere but here seems like it could have went further but missed the opportunity and it feels like the ensemble characters have more songs/scene exposition than the leads like Friki, Friki .

Mystic Pasta
#156Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:59pm

Oncemorewithfeeling captures my same sentiment. I saw the show at Paper Mill and thought they did an excellent job for putting it on it's feet for the first time. But, what has happened in the past year? It seems to have lost it's way. What was charming last year is now annoying. (ie Tony Danza ad libs, Nancy Opel chewing up the scenery) And, the staging seems to be less inventive and clunky. The producers decided to have such a long preview period, but I think with their low grosses they may want to consider moving opening up a month sooner to capture some business before the dark winter. Rob McClure is charming but doesn't seem genuine. Tony Danza should call out sick for a few days prior to opening and work on healing his voice. He does not sound healthy. I now have a new found respect for Kinky Boots and why audiences love that show. It has a better book, better choreography and better staging. Both are based on entertaining movies. One is an entertaining musical.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#157Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:01pm

Can someone give me some lyric help? This is a small thing but it drives me crazy every time I listen to the "Betsy's Getting Married" track:

Thirty-one years I climbed that hill
Seventeen years I'm on the pill
??????????????????

It sounds like she's saying, "Least I'm not beans on J-8's till", but that can't be right. I can't find the lyrics printed online anywhere yet.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

little_sally
#158Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:08pm

I think that line is something about how someone she knows is still on J-Date.

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 01:08 PM

SayitSomehow
#159Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:16pm

"Lisa Levine's on J-Date still"

carolinaguy
#160Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:16pm

I guess that would make sense, but since I've never in my life heard of J Date (thanks, Dr. Google) no wonder I didn't get it.

I like a lot of the recording, but some of it sounds like prime material to be cut in previews. And a few of the lyrics are just a little sloppy. I don't like the passage in "Anywhere but Here" about a rusty swingset for our baby to ride. Really, you want your baby to get tetanus? And I'm not sure you "ride" a swingset. When's the last time you heard someone tell their kid to go outside and ride their swingset?

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

neonlightsxo
#161Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:20pm

The skin cancer song needs to go. Whether or not they cut it will be a real litmus test of whether they're trying to fix it.

carolinaguy
#162Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:26pm

Yeah, "Out of the Sun" feels like it crosses the line of taste. And "Higher Love" feels way too long on the recording. Maybe it works as a production number on stage, but it's a skip on the recording. And the airport song either needs to go or be built into some genuine wit. Really, knocks on flying through Atlanta? Failed stand-up material.

On the other hand, things like "I Love Betsy", "Betsy's Getting Married/The Game", "Come to an Agreement", "You Made the Wait Worthwhile" and "Isn't That Enough?" are very successful numbers to me.

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 01:26 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#163Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:32pm

'And "Higher Love" feels way too long on the recording. Maybe it works as a production number on stage.'

It doesn't, at least not fully.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Hairspray0901
#164Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:33pm

does anyone know what the view is from front row center mezz? i bought tickets for there and just read online that when newsies was at the nederlander, those were horrible seats because there were speakers or lights blocking peoples views! I know there's a railing there, I'm not concerned about that, but is it an obstructed view because of the lights or anything? if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated :)

neonlightsxo
#165Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:34pm

Yeah, "Higher Love" didn't quite work for me either. It's just okay.

JRB had a taste problem with the terminal illness song and jokes about it in 13, too.

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 01:34 PM

little_sally
#166Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 1:50pm

I thought "Higher Love" was probably the best number in the show.

"Airport Song" is very funny and while it serves a purpose in context, it could probably be replaced by some dialogue.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#167Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 4:55pm

When I think about the show and when I was listening to the OBCR during my prep today, I realized that an issue I had with the show is that many songs do nothing to significantly advance the musical. They're not really moving the show forward. Effective dialogue or changing the songs up some would be more effective.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#168Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 8:29pm

Any reason why this is previewing from 11/18-1/14...8 weeks???
This premiered a year ago @ Papermill and had a healthy run along with mixed-positive reviews and a rave from the TIMES but do they really need such a long preview period if many say that the show is pretty much frozen and no significant changes have been made since it started previews on 11/18? It seems crazy that the producers & creatives are so satisfied with the production even though many on this board say it needs to gain back the funny edge and energy along with punching up the comedic book scenes and liven up the choreography. For those that saw it at Papermill, what has changed for the better now Broadway?

Updated On: 12/2/14 at 08:29 PM

CoreyRyan3
#169Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/2/14 at 10:57pm

"And the airport song either needs to go or be built into some genuine wit. Really, knocks on flying through Atlanta? Failed stand-up material. "

I don't think it's knocking flying through Atlanta in anyway. It's just supposed to be funny because it's so far out of the way. How would it make any sense to go from Honolulu to Atlanta and then back to Vegas?
It's a sort of commentary on bizarre airline routes.

Jish
#170Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:30am

re: Hairspray0901

Those are great seats!

I saw it from front row mezz and it was a perfect view for this show...

Updated On: 12/3/14 at 08:30 AM

mamaleh
#171Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/3/14 at 8:53am

Does anyone remember the current running time? Seeing the show later today and need to plan a meet-up.

Thanks!

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#172Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/3/14 at 9:00am

I was on the street at 4:40 from a 2:00 show.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

mamaleh
#173Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/3/14 at 9:35am

Thanks!

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#174Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 12/3/14 at 12:32pm

Brynn O'malley instagramed a pic of Rob with pages of changes made to the show so they are definitely working on it for those of you who think otherwise

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Videos