pixeltracker

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders- Page 7

2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders

#150re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:59am

The buzz with Clark started around November, so no not a year in advance but close enough.

bwayondabrain
#151re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 8:37am

aberjo1, you said exactly what i was referring to! Ebersole may be great, but the show might not do so well, which would hurt the Tony chances. And I really feel Stephanie has the potential to amaze us all, and take the award.
anyways, that's how i feel.
:)

AshleyBrownFan123 Profile Photo
AshleyBrownFan123
#152re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:02pm

Stephanie could, so could Kristin.

Let us milk the cow that is theatre-Monica Trausch

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#153re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 1:35pm

From the short clips I've see of Clark's performance in Piazza pre-Broadway, she had the Tony wrapped up and ready for the mantle. Even then!
Ebersole will win. It seems like a season where artistic merit is more prominent than commercial merit. Usually, in seasons like those (and unlike the last two seasons) the Tony Awards go with artistic merit.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#154re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 1:51pm

I honestly think it will come down to Ebersole and Audra.

What Ebersole has going for her is that she's older than all the other potential nominees, and she has been getting reviews for her performance that are pretty rare. She has one leading actress Tony that she won merely by default (that should have been a supporting award), and she is definitely the sentimental favorite to win.

Audra could be very mediocre in 110, in which case Ebersole might have it all wrapped up - but if Audra wins this year, she will be the actress with the most Tony awards for performance ever. AND she's African American. Not to say that should make a difference, but look at the publicity the Tonys could garner this year. "Will Audra become the youngest person ever to win the most Tonys? Will an African American woman break the tie between herself and Gwen Verdon?" I'm not saying it's how it should be - and I'm not even sure if what I'm saying makes sense - I just think it could make for some very interesting publicity.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#155re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:22pm

Actually if Audra wins, she'll tie Julie Harris who has the record with 5 -- 6 if you count her Honorary Tony from a couple of years ago.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 9/16/06 at 02:22 PM

munkustrap178
#156re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:24pm

Well, I meant actual performances - not honorary.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

bwayondabrain
#157re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:38pm

i personally am rooting for Ebersole to win very much, i just dont want to be dissappointed if someone else takes the award, and i want to be open-minded that other people could very well win the award instead of her
but go Christine! you are awesome!
:)

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#158re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:23pm

"Who is going to know what Grey Gardens is unless they follow theater? No one."

Apparently, some of you don't read my posts. How many times do I have to say that GG is based on a landmark documentary that is a huge cult classic? Thus, people outside of the theatre universe know of this musical---EVERYtime I have seen an article about the newly released footage from the doc, they have mentioned the musical. Free press.

Again, I declare and am willing to place bets that GG WILL be open come Tony time.

AberJ01 Profile Photo
AberJ01
#159re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:05pm

Again I just think it's WAY to early to be saying it's going to come down to Audra and Ebersole. I mean seriously, this is like debating who's going to take home the Oscar for best picture in June when there's like six months left to go in Oscar season! Until you've seen ALL the movies, how can you really say who will win??

First, Audra will not win if her performance is only medicore. They won't just give her the award because she is Audra, or to break a record. If the field seemed to be weaker, maybe, but with what should be a strong field this year, they won't just give it to her because she's her.

Again, I just find it annoying that there are so many in this category getting no recognition what so ever, why? Because someone who will be nominated in this category gave a great performance in this role off-broadway, and is now reviving that role on broadway? Who cares? We STILL haven't seen 95% of the ladies who will be trying for nominations in this category as well! I'm sorry but I haven't seen Ebersole's performance in this show yet, but what I've read and what I've listened to is really split. I've read great reviews, and reviews that are just so-so. I'm mean sure, no one has come out and said she's horrible, but if this really is the performance of a lifetime, wouldn't all the critics mention that?

Like I said, it's just WAY too early. Sure she sweeped the precursor awards this whole past year, but is that really going to matter NEXT year? What if Stephanie Block or someone else sweeps the precursor awards next year, because Ebersole obviously won't be eligible, do you really think she'll STILL win the Tony with such momentum for another actress? No she won't! Obviously we won't know until then, but still. NO ONE has a lock on a win yet, NO ONE. I'll agree that some people are a lock to be NOMINATED, but NO ONE is a lock to win.
Updated On: 9/16/06 at 04:05 PM

munkustrap178
#160re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:09pm

I agree with everything that you're saying.

The only reason I threw the Audra theory in there was because the Tonys have kind of stopped recognizing excellence. Of late, they have been rewarding commercial mediocrity.

bwayondabrain
#161re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:13pm

good point
like Harry Connick- how was he ever nominated for a Tony?
i can think of tons of other people in that category that couldve been nominated, but its all publicity and as munk said, "commercial mediocrity"

munkustrap178
#162re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:23pm

Well, I wouldn't include Harry Connick in that category - he made a terrific Broadway debut, and he was completely wonderful. He fully deserved his nomination.

Who else would you have nominated? The only other people that were even eligible were the likes of Chris Hanke, IN MY LIFE, Hugh Panaro, LESTAT, Alan Cumming, 3PENNY....

He fully deserved that nomination.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#163re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:44pm

If Nikki James is as good as I think she'll be (and if The Wiz transfers in time,) she could have potential for a nomination.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#164re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:48pm

Anyway, like it's been said, it's just WAY too early to debate this topic. Sure we can debate how good Ebersole was in Grey Gardens, and how much we think Chenoweth would be a challenge for Ebersole, but frankly we can't say how good the ladies who we haven't seen are. Gut tells me that Stephanie Block is going to amaze in Pirate Queen, and is going to be a serious threat to win.

OK, you're completely negating the point your attempting to make. You say it's WAY too early to debate this topic. You say "frankly we can't say how good the ladies who we haven't seen are." OK. You follow with "Gut tells me that Stephanie Block is going to amaze in Pirate Queen". Pardon? We can't say how the good ladies we haven't seen are. But GUT tells you Block is going to amaze? You're calling all of our supported contributions to this discussion invalid, but GUT tells you Block is going to be spectacular. If you have a valid point to make, make it. But don't follow it with some psychic garbage about what your GUT tells you.

We STILL haven't seen 95% of the ladies who will be trying for nominations in this category as well!

We haven't seen 95% of the women who will be eligible for this category? There are approximately 10 women who will be eligible in this category. Five; Chenoweth, Ebersole, D'Amboise, Michele, and Monk we have seen. Five; Bundy, Brown, Colella, McDonald, and Block we have not seen. We've seen approximately half (50%) of the performances that will be eligible for nominations in this category. The other half have all performed on Broadway in other roles and therefore many of us are familiar with their talents and abilities. So I think it's fair to speculate who might be competing with whom based on previous work by these actresses.

I'm sorry but I haven't seen Ebersole's performance in this show yet, but what I've read and what I've listened to is really split. I've read great reviews, and reviews that are just so-so. I'm mean sure, no one has come out and said she's horrible, but if this really is the performance of a lifetime, wouldn't all the critics mention that?

I'd be interested in seeing the reviews on Ebersole's performance that are "so-so". All of the critics have in fact, in one way or another, said that this is the performance of a lifetime. Not one critic has come close to saying she is "horrible". It's been quite the opposite. So, please, entertain us. Show us the reviews on Ebersole's performance that are "so-so" and have not essentially said that this is the performance of a lifetime. To paraphrase Ben Brantley of The New York Times, Ebersole's performance is one of the most gorgeous ever to grace a musical.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 9/16/06 at 04:48 PM

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#165re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:55pm

It's fair to place this buzz on Ebersole because she has gotten the kind of reviews that you rarely ever see. It says that this will have to be a year of someone else getting those RARE kinds of reviews to be able to top her. Sure it can happen--but odds are that no one will.

That's not to say that Ebersole will definitely win, it's to say that it's highly unlikely anyone will top her on Tony BUZZ.

What I am hearing from you, Aber, is less a desire for us to all be practical and more a desire that Block, who you clearly adore, not be out of the race. And again, "who we love and adore" has nothing to do with "what will or even should". You make a good point, but it's obvious your motivation. And that motivation is blinding you just a titch as Foster points out the flaws in your argument.

And, for the record, I LOVE Schoenberg and Boublil and hope they have great success with Pirate. I think this is going to be a hot year in theatre--with many stunning performances.

Updated On: 9/16/06 at 04:55 PM

AshleyBrownFan123
#166re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:29pm

" 'Who is going to know what Grey Gardens is unless they follow theater? No one.'

Apparently, some of you don't read my posts. How many times do I have to say that GG is based on a landmark documentary that is a huge cult classic? Thus, people outside of the theatre universe know of this musical---EVERYtime I have seen an article about the newly released footage from the doc, they have mentioned the musical. Free press.

Again, I declare and am willing to place bets that GG WILL be open come Tony time."

I see alot of documentaries and I have never heard of Grey Gardens. Also, Christine was OK. It was the score that was awful!

"We haven't seen 95% of the women who will be eligible for this category? There are approximately 10 women who will be eligible in this category. Five; Chenoweth, Ebersole, D'Amboise, Michele, and Monk we have seen. Five; Bundy, Brown, Colella, McDonald, and Block we have not seen. We've seen approximately half (50%) of the performances that will be eligible for nominations in this category. The other half have all performed on Broadway in other roles and therefore many of us are familiar with their talents and abilities. So I think it's fair to speculate who might be competiing with whom based on previous work by these actresses."

This is the reason I love Wanna Be A foster, not being sarcastic.

I only saw D'Amboise and Monk. I don't want The wiz or Curtains to open this season for competitive reasons. Also, somethingwicked, Would you want Wicked and The wiz on Broadway at the same time?

munkustrap178
#167re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:34pm

For competitive reasons?

Do you have some sort of investment in MARY POPPINS or something?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#168re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:37pm

This is getting weird.

Ashley Brown, who is a very sweet girl, deserves saner fans.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#169re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:40pm

Ashley Brown will not win a Tony Award for MARY POPPINS. It's just not going to happen. Not in a season like this. I'm sorry. Please accept this now, so we don't have to be embarrassed for your delusion all season long.

AshleyBrownFan123
#170re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:42pm

"For competitive reasons?

Do you have some sort of investment in MARY POPPINS or something?"

No, I don't. I just think this season is way too crowded.

"Ashley Brown will not win a Tony Award for MARY POPPINS. It's just not going to happen. Not in a season like this. I'm sorry. Please accept this now, so we don't have to be embarrassed for your delusion all season long."

I know it won't happen. I just thoght she deserved one because they got rid of the replacement category, where she could have won as Belle.

munkustrap178
#171re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:43pm

Could have, would have, should have.

She was vocally wonderful in BEAUTY IN THE BEAST. Her acting, however, was no better or worse than anyone that came before her in the role, with the possible exception of Toni Braxton.

GO AWAY.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#172re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:49pm

That award was never going to reward the 4th replacement Elphabas or the 10th Belle in BEAUTY IN THE BEAST. It was un officially devised as a way to honor "star replacements" in Broadway productions after Reba's success in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN. The only two people I think would have been seriously considered were Jonathan Pryce for DRS and Eileen Atkins in DOUBT.

It was, again, a stupid award because apparently the Tony Committee forgot they already have the power to give a special Tony for replacement performers. It's happened many times before in Tony history.

AshleyBrownFan123
#173re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:11pm

1. If Ashley wins, you will all but me be pissed.

2. How do you change your username?

munkustrap178
#174re: 2007 Leading Actress in a Musical Tony Nominee Contenders
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:29pm

1. Who will be pissed if Ashley wins? No one said that. No one has even seen her performance. GO AWAY.

2. You can't. And don't think that changing your username will allow you to recreate this idiotic persona you've created. We'll be able to smell your stupidity regardless of the name that appears next to your posts. GO AWAY.

3. GO AWAY.

Videos