pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 8

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#175Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/12 at 12:15am

Terra MacLeod and Amra-Fay Wright really need to get new jobs. I understand people's desire for financial stability, but don't they want new creative challenges in their lives? Both seem really, really tired in this role on stage, so why keep playing it everywhere all the time?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#176Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/12 at 12:26am

I agree. Even Brenda finally left.....

I haven't seen Terra is many years, but Wright's Velma is a complete and total bore. Leigh Zimmerman was great, but I guess she didn't want to get stuck in the production like MacLeod and Wright.

Updated On: 9/14/12 at 12:26 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#177Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/14/12 at 5:38am

I am surprised that Amra has been spending quite a considerable time as "Velma" the past year or so. I've seen Terra as "Velma". In my opinion, she's fantastic. As to someone mentioning that Amra and Terra need to find new creative outlets, easier said than done. That's not how the business works. The competition is cutthroat for available roles..whether on Broadway or on tour. Both ladies have developed their roles in "Chicago" over the years, which is why the producers hire them time after time. Also, "Velma" and "Roxie" aren't easy roles. Also, while other shows hire leading ladies for months at a time, "Chicago" fills leading roles like "Roxie and "Velma" for limited weeks at a time. Ultimately, it's the producer's call. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#178Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/29/12 at 10:16pm

I found this video of Ryoko Yonekura's (brief) run as "Roxie." I thought she did well in this short video clip. from RC in Austin, Texas
Ryoko Yonekura as Roxie on Broadway

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#179Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/29/12 at 11:43pm

WOW!!! considering that was her first time performing the show in English, I'll say I'm was impressed. Her vocals were a bit off, but I'm sure that was due to the translation. Her dancing looked excellent.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

My Oh My Profile Photo
My Oh My
#180Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/30/12 at 2:11am

She did well from what I could see. Most of all, she genuinely appeared to be having fun up on that stage. I think that is important in a role like Roxie.

Recreation of original John Cameron orchestration to "On My Own" by yours truly. Click player below to hear.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#181Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/30/12 at 1:48pm

It helped that she had done the role in Japan. Now, I wonder when that hot mess (A.K.A. Pamela Anderson) will assume the role of "Roxie?" from RC in Austin, Texas

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#182Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/30/12 at 2:05pm

i love CHICAGO... i saw the original production in 1976, but with Liza as Roxie, as Gwen Verdon was out for a few weeks with and injury, along side Chita...then saw the revival with ANN RENKING when it came to the since-torn-down Schubert Theatre in Century City...loved both versions and loved how Renking re-imagined the show into what it is today...

p.s. i also love the ROB MARSHALL film of CHICAGO...

Patti LuPone FANatic
#183Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/30/12 at 10:08pm

I wish Anne Hathaway would make her Broadway musical debut as "Roxie" in "Chicago." She could do it, right? from RC in Austin, Texas

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#184Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/1/12 at 12:09am

Hathaway wouldn't sign on to be the 100th Roxie replacement in Chicago. just like people need to stop thinking Queen Latifah will play Mama & Justin Timberlake will play Billy.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#185Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/1/12 at 6:55am

You never know, it could happen at some point. Besides, it would make sense for her. She'd only have to do it for about 6-8 weeks, which is roughly the limited run that each "Roxie" gets. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#186Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/4/12 at 11:46pm

Wow for Amy Spanger! She started her current role as "Roxie" on September 14, 2012. Now, according to Telecharge, she'll stay on as "Roxie" until January 13, 2013!!! It's virtually unheard of for a "Roxie" to stay on almost 4 consecutive months! She must be doing a good job. Congrats. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#187Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/10/12 at 3:44pm

How is Billy Ray Cyrus doing as "Billy Flynn"? from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#188Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/11/12 at 9:41am

If you have seen him perform as "Billy", please share your thoughts. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#189Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/13/12 at 9:59pm

Christopher Sieber is returning to "Chicago" one more time. from RC in Austin, Texas

Christopher Sieber

Updated On: 12/14/12 at 09:59 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#190Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/13/12 at 10:54pm

he's not taking any kind of break from the La Cage tour and heads back into Chicago.

Skywalker3
#191Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/14/12 at 5:26am

Did the La Cage tour end? Or is it on a break?

Chicago is a show you can alway get back into when you're jobless!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#192Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/14/12 at 11:02am

yep, the tour closed a few weeks ago. I believe a new non-equity tour is set to launch next fall.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#193Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/14/12 at 1:59pm

The good thing about "Chicago" being around for so many years is that it provides needed employment for actors who can portray "Billy Flynn" (and other main characters). The downside is that those actors usually receive a contract for only a few weeks. from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#194Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/18/12 at 11:12pm

"Chicago" reaches another milestone on December 20, 2012. AWESOME!!! from RC in Austin, Texas
Chicago

Patti LuPone FANatic
#195Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/27/12 at 9:24pm

According to Telecharge, Amy Spanger has extended until February 24, 2013. Her current run had been slated to end on Jan. 13, 2013. She started her present run as "Roxie" on Sept. 14, 2012. Her total run will be a bit over 5 months. It's very rare for anyone to have such an extended time as "Roxie." She must be doing a fantastic job. Just saying....from RC in Austin, Texas

Updated On: 12/27/12 at 09:24 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#196Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/27/12 at 9:39pm

I remember there had been mention of Pamela Anderson (ack) coming in as "Roxie". But, that was months ago. I have my doubts about her. from RC in Austin, Texas

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#197Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 12/27/12 at 10:32pm

when Deidre Goodwin re-joined the show back in 2009, she stayed for 6 months as Velma(Sept-Feb).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#198Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/7/13 at 7:55pm

Angel Reda is the new "Go-To-Hell-Kitty" and Nathan Madden is the newest "Harry/Martin Harrison". Does this mean that long standing cast member Melissa Rae Mahon is no longer with the cast, as she is no longer included in the Broadway cast list? Hmm? from RC in Austin, Texas

Patti LuPone FANatic
#199Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 1/7/13 at 8:10pm

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

This Nathan Madden guy (new Harry / Martin Harrison)is dreamy! from RC in Austin, Texas

Videos