News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 133

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3300Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/4/24 at 10:01am

Colombian singer-songwriter Sebastián Yatra will play Billy Flynn from November 25 to December 22.

Oh look, a bibu!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3301Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/4/24 at 11:42am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Colombian singer-songwriter Sebastián Yatra will play Billy Flynn from November 25 to December 22."

That casting is announced, but we still don't know who the next Velma and Amos will be starting September 16.

*Max Von Essen extended through Nov. 24.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 9/4/24 at 11:42 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#3302Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/4/24 at 6:12pm

ACL2006 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Colombian singer-songwriter Sebastián Yatra will play Billy Flynn from November 25 to December 22."

That casting is announced, but we still don't know who the next Velma and Amos will be starting September 16.

*Max Von Essen extended through Nov. 24.
"    

Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3303Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/24 at 10:59pm

I was noticing on social media (IG) that some commenters were complaining how the casting of the Colombian singer as Billy Flynn is an example of stunt casting at the expense of trained professional theatre people.  Those people are blithely ignorant of the fact that Chicago's use of "unconventional casting" is a major reason that the show has been running since 1996.  While some of the choices have been dubious (Elvis Stojko anyone), most of the casting has been successsful.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 9/7/24 at 10:59 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3304Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/24 at 11:06pm

I mean, considering how many people have been consistently employed by CHICAGO for years, even DECADES, IG people complaining about a 4 week stint are just doing it to complain.

CHICAGO has had some horrific choices (Wendy Williams immediately comes to mind) but a trained singer is far from the worst possible choice for casting. Even stunt casting can be parlayed into a lucrative turn and even a budding Broadway career (Jinkx Monsoon)

The only thing I wish is that the show would start building up a stable of regular performers to run the show outside of stunt or star casting - which it seems they are starting to do more of now with adding Kimberly Marable, Robyn Hurder, Max von Essen, Max Clayton, and a few others in the mix.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3305Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/7/24 at 8:22am

Red Conception is a new Amos and Orfeh is a new Mama. About half of the ensemble are 10+ years in the show(Sharon Moore & David Bushman are over 20 years, Charlotte has been in and out for 20 years, Ryan Lowe is close to 20 years). Since they reopened in Sept. 2021, there's some new faces: Celina Nightengale, Arian Kendall, Kristen Faith Oei, Mikayla Renfrow, Jaquez, Max Clayton, Kristen Covillo, Khori Michelle Petinaud. I wonder if Emma Pittman would return as Roxie after her contract in The Outsiders is up?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3306Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/7/24 at 9:53pm

It's kind of odd that the next Velma hasn't been announced as of yet.  Is Lana Gordon still with the Hadestown tour?  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3307Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/7/24 at 11:11pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "It's kind of odd that the next Velma hasn't been announced as of yet. Is Lana Gordon still with the Hadestown tour?"

no, the equity tour recently closed. they're starting up a non-equity tour in a few weeks.

https://www.hadestowntour.com/

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#3308Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/11/24 at 2:22am

i have  

one time reinking was replaced mid act one with Nancy Hess after “Roxie”. Show didn’t have to stop .

another time ute was replaced mid act one with Nancy again. The show stopped mid act one.  

I’ve seen a few shows where the ensemble changed mid show  - one time the chick playing June became also kitty midshow 

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "We sometimes hear about a principal player in a musical being unable to continue mid-show and be replaced by an understudy/standby, etc. To what extent has that happened with "Chicago"? Does anyone have any instances where a Billy Flynn, Roxie or Velma was unable to complete a show?"

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3309Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/11/24 at 9:17pm

I have noticed on social media that there are quite a few reels of aspiring Chicago dancers performing "The Gun".  They're really quite talented.https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-ncf8-R7i0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Updated On: 9/11/24 at 09:17 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3310Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/24 at 6:03am

Oh, boy. These are NOT “aspiring” CHICAGO dancers. The Weisslers couldn’t afford them, to begin with. Look them up before you make such a statement. Also, this is currently a viral TikTok moment so everyone and their mother is currently posting videos doing this routine (Google: viral). This will be over in another few weeks before another dance routine goes viral. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#3311Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/24 at 8:18am

Kimberly Marable will return as Velma beginning on September 16.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#3312Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/12/24 at 11:06pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Oh, boy. These are NOT “aspiring” CHICAGO dancers. The Weisslers couldn’t afford them, to begin with. Look them up before you make such a statement. Also, this is currently a viral TikTok moment so everyone and their mother is currently posting videos doing this routine (Google: viral). This will be over in another few weeks before another dance routine goes viral."  How would you know?  I meant they aspire to become Chicago dancers.  I'm sure most people understood that....most.  When I see this quote, I'm immediately reminded of ReginaGeorgeBrodyFosse:"There's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society... outside of a kennel."  It's back to the Ignore Kennel for you RGBF.

Videos