New Tony Predictions?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#175New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:28pm

I disagree, but whatever. I'm just bitter about Matilda losing to Kinky Boots. I guess my comment was irrelevant to the thread.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#176New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:39pm

yeah even though i liked Kinky Boots more, Matilda was probably more worthy

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#177New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 6:21am

As Michael Riedel reported, after Matilda premiered at the Royal Shakespeare Company, so many Broadway producers immediately went after it placing the best possible offer they can. The RSC left them dangling and dangling, until they went with The Dodgers at the last minute, and all those producers felt screwed by them!

And that my friends was what kind of played into the fact that Kinky Boots beat it for Best Musical.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#178New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:42am

Makes sense. Matilda is a much better show than Kinky Boots. Not even in the same league. So of course politics got Kinky the tony.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#179New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:46am

I'm still pissed off that Kinky Boots got Best Score & Best Choreography over Matilda, which both had brilliant music and choreography. BS wins, IMO. Esepecially Best Score. Kinky Boots's music was nothing special at all and only won because of Cyndi Lauper.

Jeffery: That's the stupidest reason I ever heard. It should be about the art, not who produces it.
Updated On: 2/20/15 at 07:46 AM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#180New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:51am

I mean, it's not the only reason. What Jeff said may have had some pull, but even without this supposed producer backlash, Kinky probably would have still won. Nothing says TONY like "Everybody say Yeah Yeah X 1000.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 2/20/15 at 07:51 AM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#181New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:03am

I think KINKY deserved to win. From my experience seeing both shows multiple times, the audiences go absolutely ape-sh*t for Kinky, while the reaction at Matilda is polite/tepid. I think that played a huge part of Kinky's win, it is just so damn audience friendly and instantly pleasing. The score of Matilda is not as appealing on a first listen. Having seen Matilda four times, I found it a little tiring and boring on the third and fourth times, seemed to lose its luster for me. Kinky all the way, in my opinion.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#182New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:15am

Anyone else here see IT SHOULDA BEEN YOU when it played in NJ? Easily one of the worst musicals I've seen in more than 50 years of show going. Why or how this show got the financial backing to come to Broadway is a mystery. Stars of the calibre of Tyne Daly and Harriet Harris deserve far better than this. Weak book and songs add up to nothing. "Fluff?" At best. And yet great shows like BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY and the ON THE TOWN (and sadly, possibly FUN HOME) struggle to stay open, because they don't have the stars to pre-sell their shows.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#183New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:30am

"I think KINKY deserved to win. From my experience seeing both shows multiple times, the audiences go absolutely ape-sh*t for Kinky, while the reaction at Matilda is polite/tepid. I think that played a huge part of Kinky's win, it is just so damn audience friendly and instantly pleasing."

That certainly didn't work in favor of Newsies nor Beautiful (most likely due to the fact that both those shows were already so commercially viable, that voters might have felt they didn't need Tonys).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#184New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:43am

I personally found Matilda to be a MUCH better show than Kinky Boots. I LOVED Matilda while I *liked* Kinky Boots. And as far as the scores go, there is absolutely no compassion. Matilda's score is a musical masterpiece IMO.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

rjm516
#185New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:49am

Another one here who loved Matilda and still can't believe at least the score didn't win, that fantastic, genius score. But of course it was politics and not merit! That's ALL awards are! Let's all look forward to seeing that in action again on Sunday!

As for the Tonys, it seems like everyone is saying Chita is a lock and not Kelli or Kristin. Is that just because she's Chita or is The Visit really that good of a vehicle for her?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#186New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:03am

Is that just because she's Chita or is The Visit really that good of a vehicle for her?

From what I have read it's a little bit of both. This is Chita's last "hoorah", and it is also an extremely great role for her. That's just my understanding from reading people's thoughts on here. I am waiting to see Kelli's performance before writing her off for another loss. Either way, this will be an exciting Tony season! I definitely see The Visit getting a nod for best scenic design. Just from the photos alone, the set is BREATHTAKING.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

rjm516
#187New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:09am

Thanks good to know! I mean hell, who can be upset about Kelli losing again if it's to Chita in her last hurrah, right?

Phillypinto
#188New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:38am

Kander and ebb for best score anyone? Or is Jenine Tesoro a lock?

Phillypinto
#189New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:42am

As far as it Shoulda been you is concerned, wasn't that run in nj in 2008? I'm sure they've made many many changes to the show. I see this being the little small show that could like xanadu and gentlemans guide

Jeffrey Karasarides
#190New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:31am

"Kander and Ebb for best score anyone? Or is Jeanine Tesori a lock?"

We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the potential candidates turn out first?

*Doctor Zhivago-Music By Lucy Simon, Lyrics By Michael Korie & Amy Powers
*Finding Neverland-Music & Lyrics By Gary Barlow & Elliot Kennedy
*Fun Home-Music By Jeanine Tesori, Lyrics By Lisa Kron
*Honeymoon in Vegas-Music & Lyrics By Jason Robert Brown
*It Shoulda Been You-Music By Barbra Anselmi, Lyrics By Brian Hargrove
*The Last Ship-Music & Lyrics By Sting
*Something Rotten!-Music & Lyrics By Wayne Kirkpatrick & Karey Kirkpatrick
*The Visit-Music By John Kander, Lyrics By Fred Ebb

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#191New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/21/15 at 3:02am

^Jeffrey
If Hamilton moves to Broadway this season it's a lock for best score win!
If not, I predict nominations:

*Fun Home-Music By Jeanine Tesori, Lyrics By Lisa Kron
*The Visit-Music By John Kander, Lyrics By Fred Ebb
*Honeymoon in Vegas-Music & Lyrics By Jason Robert Brown
*The Last Ship-Music & Lyrics By Sting OR *Something Rotten!-Music & Lyrics By Wayne Kirkpatrick & Karey Kirkpatrick

***Is this field 4 nominations or possibly 5?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/21/15 at 03:02 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#192New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:11am

^As of now, it appears to be four. I would also like to put in a good word for (what I've heard of) Lucy Simon's score for Doctor Zhivago.

rjm516
#193New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/21/15 at 1:45pm

The race/season seems much more crowded this year than in the past few, doesn't it?

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#194New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 2:37pm

Does Legend Judy Kuhn have a shot at a nom this year for FUN HOME? Her voice is so beautiful ... Can't believe she doesn't have a Tony!!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Phillypinto
#195New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:15pm

yes she does!! I think her or Sydney Lucas will win

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#196New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:21pm

MUSICAL
Fun Home
Finding Neverland
Something Rotten
The Visit

Musical Revival
On the 20th Century
On The Town
Side Show
The King & I

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

neonlightsxo
#197New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 4:46pm

I'm not sure which rules are different for this year but in the past Score is four nominees. If it's four it will be:

Kander and Ebb, The Visit
Sting, The Last Ship
Tesori & Kron, Fun Home

and the last is up for grabs.

Best Play:
Hand to God
Airline Highway
Curious Incident
Disgraced

Updated On: 3/16/15 at 04:46 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#198New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 5:28pm

"I'm not sure which rules are different for this year but in the past Score is four nominees. If it's four it will be:

Kander and Ebb, The Visit
Sting, The Last Ship
Tesori & Kron, Fun Home

and the last is up for grabs."

I'm pretty sure the amount of nominations for Best Original Score this year will stay the same.

Other potential candidates that I think have a good shot are:
Doctor Zhivago-Lucy Simon, Michael Korie, & Amy Powers
Finding Neverland-Gary Barlow & Eliot Kennedy
Honeymoon in Vegas-Jason Robert Brown

Wild Cards:
It Shoulda Been You-Barbara Anselmi & Brian Hargrove
Something Rotten!-Wayne Kirkpatrick & Karey Kirkpatrick

The reason I have both those shows listed as wild cards for right now is because not a lot of people on these boards were particularly impressed with the videos from the press coverage. Updated On: 3/16/15 at 05:28 PM

Phillypinto
#199New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 3/16/15 at 5:33pm

I really liked the music from their press events, however the reason i agree they are wild cards is because they aren't as big as Tesori, JRB, K&E, Sting, or even the composers of finding Neverland, and Doctor Zhivago

Videos