News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY- Page 8

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#175Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/22/16 at 5:49pm

It wouldn't be very surprising to see Barasch involved in this- it's being choreographed by Warren Carlyle, who's worked with him on She Loves Me and Drood. He'd be a terrific Barnaby, so I'd be very surprised not to see him on the short list. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Jarethan
#176Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/23/16 at 5:17pm

Dollypop said: "Pearl Bailey had Thelma Carpenter do the matinees when she played Dolly.

She may have had her do some performances, perhaps later in the run???  I saw Bailey twice, and I am sure that both were Saturday matinee performances.  

I find myself surprised that Midler may do less than 8 performances.  Hell, Carol Channing toured the country at 73 and did all 8.  Also, I have never thought of Dolly as a huge role, in the sense that Mama Rose is huge or Evita or Fanny Brice or Mame or Agnes in I Do! I Do, etc.  Dolly has some decent stretches of time where she is off-stage in both acts (I always felt they gave too much time to the Cornelius / Irene story, probably because I never cared for most of the songs they sang)...Midler did 90 straight minutes in Las Vegas where she had to sing a lot more than she will have to do in Dolly.  

Years ago, Mary Martin and Robert Preston only did 6 performances...I don't remember if it was from the beginning of the run or not, but those were enormous roles...they were only off-stage when the other had their show-stopper number, ie.e., Flaming Agnes and Its a Well Known Fact.  I could understand that...not sure re Dolly...it is just not that large a role.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#177Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:22am

I will pay 1000 dollars to see Bette.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#178Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/24/16 at 9:19am

I also saw Pearl Bailey as Dolly at a Saturday matinee.

Wilmingtom
#179Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:39pm

"Theoretically, who is to say that the show itself needs to 8 shows a week?"

Let's begin with the theater owner.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#180Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/24/16 at 6:46pm

I would not pay $1,000 to see the second coming of Christ.

Poster Emeritus

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#181Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:35am

"I's sho' as f***k did dem matinee performances!" - Pearl Bailey

Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#182Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:45am

We get it Roxy. If it's not offered on Tdf  for 20 bucks, a free roll of toilet paper, and a voucher for a free colonoscopy, you aren't seeing it. 

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#183Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:08am

SmoothLover said: "I will pay 1000 dollars to see Bette.

Good, because you'll probably have to!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#184Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:15am

Or, be ready to snag them the day they go on sale!  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#185Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:47am

To # 181

A bit un p.c.there .

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/25/16 at 08:47 AM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#186Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 9:44am

Mildred Plotka said: "We get it Roxy. If it's not offered on Tdf  for 20 bucks, a free roll of toilet paper, and a voucher for a free colonoscopy, you aren't seeing it. "

Mildred Plotka is officially my most favorite person on this forum.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#187Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 10:06am

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/25/16 at 10:06 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#188Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 10:26am

Your AGE has nothing to do with it.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#189Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 11:59am

I like Mr Roxy, he knows more about Broadway than anyone here.  But then I was taught to respect elders.

When They Go Low, I Go High

Mildred Plotka
#190Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:21pm

Yes Roxy, I'm an excuse for a person, yet the reason you blocked me to begin with was because I wouldn't sit and let you defend someone's homophobic comments.  You can sure dish it out but can't take it. 

And one more thing....

You've had conflict with a large majority of the long time posters on this board. Perhaps, instead of blaming others for the conflict, you should look at yourself and see what you are doing to conflict. You can't have that many arguments with people and have it be their fault the entire time.  It's you Blanche.  

Updated On: 4/25/16 at 02:21 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#191Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:25pm

Petralicious said: "I like Mr Roxy, he knows more about Broadway than anyone here. ."

That is demonstrably untrue.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#192Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:28pm

Kad said: "Petralicious said: "I like Mr Roxy, he knows more about Broadway than anyone here. ."

That is demonstrably untrue.
"

I was also curious where that knowledge was revealed. Thought I missed a thread or something there.

Mildred Plotka
#193Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 2:34pm

Here's the lovely sonnet I just received in my Pm's Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY 

"Not many everyday people will pay $ 1000 to see a performer. If you have $1,000 bill hanging around go for it. I explain myself to no one. Your comment shows how low class you are. You are a nasty individual. I have asked the mods to remove your comment. No need to respond as I will not waste time reading it. I cannot help it if you cannot act like a normal person. Why you are so full of hate, I will never know. I know I am  not the only one on BWW who uses any way possible to save money. Only the elite like you do not."

So apparently the mods should remove our nasty comments but it's okay to call someone an excuse for a person and berate them privately where no one else can view it.  You're a choo choo charlie and a class act!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#194Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 3:29pm

I have been a very long time follower of this thread, but joined earlier this year. i think I understand where Mr Roxy's perceived expertise on Broadway comes from - you're a very dedicated audience member and have had decent(ish) views. You've also been extremely hateful but you find a way to mask it under a veil of passive-aggressive "niceness".

And no, your AGE has nothing to do with like someone else pointed out. It's MY money, and I get to do what I want to do with it. I save money where I can - I rush early in the morning, I sign up for lotteries, I do what I can. Everyone here does. And even if I didn't, YOU don't get to tell me what I want to do with my money. I'll buy a $995 ticket if it damn well pleases me sir.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#195Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 3:55pm

"So apparently the mods should remove our nasty comments but it's okay to call someone an excuse for a person and berate them privately where no one else can view it.  You're a choo choo charlie and a class act!

Actually Mr. Roxy is being a class act by taking the disagreement between the both of you "behind close doors". You are the one lacking class in this example by making public a private message between the both of you.

Updated On: 4/25/16 at 03:55 PM

Mildred Plotka
#196Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 4:01pm

Oh please! He posted on here and Pm'd me pretty much the exact same thing.  If he's going to call me an excuse for a human, all social niceties are gone.  

Cupid Boy2 Profile Photo
Cupid Boy2
#197Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 4:02pm

yankeefan7 said: ""So apparently the mods should remove our nasty comments but it's okay to call someone an excuse for a person and berate them privately where no one else can view it.  You're a choo choo charlie and a class act!

Actually Mr. Roxy is being a class act by taking the disagreement between the both of you "behind close doors". You are the one lacking class in this example by making public a private message between the both of you.
"

Attacking someone's principles "behind close(d) doors" hardly seems like a classy move to me but rather a way to avoid the scrutiny of other posters on this board. Roxy wasn't interested in opening up a dialogue. He clearly said he wouldn't be responding or even reading a response.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#198Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 4:09pm

Mildred

You apparently can dish it out but you cannot take it. You brought me down to your level by your remarks (which you acknowledge were nasty) and I fell into your trap. I do not want you to  lose sleep over my remarks so I hearby apologize and I have removed my post. I have both you and Valentina on ignore but unfortunately I get sucked in  when someone quotes you in their posts..

Please do not make nasty remarks about me and do not bother me. I will do the same and this is the best solution for all concerned.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 4/25/16 at 04:09 PM

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#199Bette Midler Confirms Broadway Return in HELLO DOLLY
Posted: 4/25/16 at 4:13pm

Bette Midler farts yodels.

Videos