pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 86

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#2125Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 12/24/13 at 3:25pm

^ Umm...show me exactly where Ms. Streep confirmed she is playing "Grizabella" in the film version of CATS.

beautywickedlover
#2126Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 12/25/13 at 10:24am

365 days until the movie is released.

beautywickedlover
#2127Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/3/14 at 7:02pm

Rob Marshall says that Chris Pine is amazing as Cinderella's Prince. His audition song was "Fly Me to the Moon."

"I never expected him to have that talent," Marshall says of being initially taken aback at Pine's heretofore unheard singing abilities.

"His look belies his talent in a funny kind of way," Marshall relates of the actor's apparent matinee idol appearance.

"He could coast on those amazing looks, but he's so much more than that," Marshall says.

Rob Marshall Comments On 'Amazing' Chris Pine In INTO THE WOODS

Liza's Headband
#2128Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/3/14 at 8:08pm

Okay.

jimmycurry01
#2129Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/3/14 at 9:45pm

Since when is Rob Marshall a "modern movie musical master?" He seems more like a mixed bag to me. One big screen hit, one big screen flop, and a handful of small screen musicals with mixed results. This makes someone a master of movie musicals? He is more of a movie musical gamble than a master of that craft.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#2130Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 3:19am

Not even a handful of small screen musicals--one (which did do well, I guess.)

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2131Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 5:04am

"modern movie musical master?"

Funniest thing I have read all day

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2132Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 6:54am

How can anybody be this good looking?

It's like, shut up with your good looking-ness, Chris Pine.

Or spray it all over me. Or something.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2133Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 7:19am

His dad used to be on the TV show "Chips," you know.

Robert Pine:

Into the Woods Movie Cast

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/4/14 at 07:19 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2134Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 7:22am

Yes, he gave me an early chubby, if I recall correctly.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Joviedamian
#2135Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 3:25pm

Is it me, or usually when I read a random article about how someone is "Good" in their role---praised by the production company and or director, producers, then I start to think...ummm is he really that good or are they just trying to stop bad PR when we find out he is not that great? Fortunately, I think we all know that Chris can sing well...but I kind went "Wait, where did that come from?"

jimmycurry01
#2136Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/4/14 at 7:43pm

I am sure the comment is taken out of context from a larger discussion or interview. Fortunately we have all see Chris sing before, so this isn't raising any red flags for me this time. I do agree that in some cases in the past,, your observation is quite valid.

beautywickedlover
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2138Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/17/14 at 9:56am

Chris Pine was on Jimmy Kimmel recently and sang (!) a bit of his audition song that got him the part in "Into the Woods."

He's a good crooner! If someone ever does film "Guys and Dolls" for TV or the big screen, I would love to see him play Sky Masterson. He could handle the songs really well. He seems to have a naturally good singing voice. Nothing fancy, but certainly good enough for the Prince in "Into the Woods," and I could see him doing other musical roles as well, if he's interested.

Chris Pine sings on Jimmy Kimmel - direct link

Updated On: 1/17/14 at 09:56 AM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#2139Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 1/17/14 at 10:34am

Do you think James Marsden takes a look at Chris Pine and thinks, "I was born too early and started too late."?

beautywickedlover
beautywickedlover
#2141Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/14/14 at 9:08pm

The Hollywood Reporter revealed last week that the film's budget is $40 million. I guess they wanted to save money after some recent disappointing live-action movies.

"For instance, Johnny Depp slashed his $20 million quote to appear in Disney's upcoming musical Into the Woods. He was boarded in for a week on the London set and was paid $1 million, according to sources. Given the risky nature of musicals, the film needed to be made on a budget of about $40 million. Depp's move -- a favor to Disney and helmer Rob Marshall, who directed Depp in the studio's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -- allowed the film to be greenlighted. It also allows the actor's representatives to maintain that his quote is intact."

How Johnny Depp Made $1 Million in a Week Updated On: 2/15/14 at 09:08 PM

bobs3
#2142Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 12:25am

There is NO DOUBT that Streep and Depp will be receiving a big percentage of the film's gross.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2143Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 2:40am

It's typical that stars will take a pay cut to do a musical film, because the return is so risky, but also because the budget is usually higher elsewhere, prerecording all the songs, etc.

I'm not surprised about Depp's salary (or anybody else's). But the overall budget sounds very low for a film set in a fairytale world with special effects and sets and costumed extras. I would have expected $60 to $80 million, figuring in major post-production costs. I hope that economy doesn't show up on the screen. They really haven't given Marshall, Atwood, etc., a lot to work with.

As for the stars, they will also get royalties from soundtrack sales and merchandising (assuming Disney at least does some of that). So they should all make out well (enough) in the end.

I'm looking forward to seeing some finished production shots now. Let's hope the look of the film doesn't reflect the shallow pockets of the studio.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#2144Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 3:04am

That was exactly my reaction when I read the budget was $40 mil, that's next to nothing for what I had imagined this movie would require to make it a blockbuster. I figured that after the huge success PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 4 turned out to be abroad, Disney would give Marshall a larger budget.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2145Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 3:27am

The budget for Mamma Mia! (movie) was approx. $52 million.

And there were no growing beanstalks or fairytale sets and costumes or green-screen effects.

The budget for Oz the Great and Powerful was reportedly $200 million (which is insanely high, but use it as a frame of reference). Alice in Wonderland was $150-200 million.

Into the Woods is $40 million?

Updated On: 2/15/14 at 03:27 AM

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#2146Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 9:56am

I'm finding that number a little difficult to believe. I'm sure we'll get a more accurate budget in the coming months.

Wildcard
#2147Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 10:22am

Most of the story is set in the woods between a few characters. You don't need lots of money for that. It seemed like they used existing houses for the village and an existing castle too. A beanstalk that only shows up for a few seconds wouldn't require a huge budget either.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2148Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 11:07am

All I know is that if it doesn't have some "wow" factor visually (a growing beanstalk, a giant walking around, SFX for Cinderella and her birds, etc.), they aren't going to impress modern moviegoers with just stars in appropriate costumes scurrying around in the well-lit woods.

Yes, I agree that most of it isn't set in a fantasy world like Oz or Wonderland that needs to be generated almost entirely via visual effects and CGI, but it is a fairytale world, where magic is commonplace and part of the story on many occasions. Cinderella's mother "evolving" out of the tree is another instance of total CGI, written in the script (and the story).

Even if it isn't wall-to-wall "magic," these moments will need to be impressive visually. The witch transformation, her exit, etc., will all need the same "wow" factor.

These days, $40 million is your average studio movie set in the real world with half the star power appearing in Into the Woods.

If nothing else, since most of the budgetary concerns are in post-production, Disney might look at the rushes, and assuming they're impressed, cough up an extra $10 million or so in these next few months.

We can (hopefully) assume that at least it was shot well, with good cinematography, in good locations, etc.

I realize that Merchant-Ivory used to work miracles with very small budgets on Howards End, Remains of the Day, A Room With a Veiw, etc. They all had a much "richer" look than they should have, given their low costs.

So as long as they isolate the key "magic" moments and still put some money and time into them to make them impressive, it will work ... hopefully.

Otherwise, you're going to hear a lot of snickering in the audience, and it won't have anything to do with the singing or the fact that it's a musical.

beautywickedlover
#2149Into the Woods Movie Cast
Posted: 2/15/14 at 11:29am

'Les Miserables' had a budget of $61 million according to Box Office Mojo. I can't believe that in my original post I wrote they "did not want to save money". What I meant to say was that probably "wanted to save money" after disappointing live-action movies. 'Oz the Great & Powerful' was successful, but making $493 million against a $215 million budget is not really making a BIG profit and it was not a huge hit on DVD/Blu-Ray either. 'Lone Ranger' was one of the biggest box-office bombs of the all-time.

Updated On: 2/17/14 at 11:29 AM

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos