pixeltracker

Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd- Page 9

Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#200Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 9:20am

Well my top pick is Barrett Wilbur Weed. She really would be great in the role. She blew me away in "Found". I really like her. (Is Allison Case still based out in LA? I was wondering if that was why we hadn't heard much from her here in NYC.)

ILuv2shop531
#201Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 9:30am

I think Barrett would be great! I don't think Allison has been based in LA for a while. She just did Fly By Night at Playwrights Horizons Spring 2014.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#202Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 9:31am

OK. I was just wondering. I knew she'd been out there (or thought I read it somewhere).

I really want Barrett for the role, to be honest.

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#203Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:13am

I’m a fan of Barrett’s, but I think her voice is a little too mature and a little too “sure” for middle Alison. Not to say she couldn’t act it, but I think Barrett has this natural quality in her singing voice (mind you, a quality that I love) that comes off very straight-forward, grounded, and sure of herself. When we see middle Alison, she has yet to hold those qualities and I just can’t picture Barrett’s voice on “I’m Changing my Major to Joan” relaying the kind of innocence needed.

Every time I listen to the cast recording it reminds me just how perfect Alexandra Socha was in the part. It was a performance where I truly felt she didn’t take one wrong step – every movement, every inflection, every gesture, every note felt spot on. I am grateful to have gotten to see her performance, but very sad she likely won’t be in the Broadway cast.

I do think Allison Case would make an excellent middle Alison. I doubt she will actually be in it (if she was in talks, I have a feeling she wouldn’t have said “So excited to see Fun Home”), but from everything I could see scrolling through her twitter, it looks like she got married to her girlfriend in August in NYC and it looks like she is still based there.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#204Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:24am

Alexandra Socha isn't coming back (I think that much has been established). I think Barrett is an excellent actress-and it's all about acting of course. I think she can capture the vulnerability of Middle Alison very well (did you see "Found"? She was quite good in that-she played someone who was multi-layered and at times vulnerable). I think Allison Case might have too mature of a sound for that part, actually.

I'm sure some Spring Awakening alum will get the role. But I think Barrett would actually be very, very good. (Her voice isn't all that different in some ways from Socha's.)

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#205Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:29am

Does anyone know why Alexandra isn't transferring? I loved her in Spring Awakening. Didn't get to catch Fun Home off Broadway...

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#206Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:47am

No, I didn’t get to see Barrett in “Found,” but I’m not debating whether or not she can be vulnerable or innocent - I certainly think she can. But, for me, based off of the quality of her voice (a certain maturity that is naturally there), it would be a different kind of vulnerability/innocence that would come off in her voice than the vulnerability/innocence I associate with middle Alison. It’s that certain quality of Barrett’s voice that actually draws me the most to it, but I just can’t see it being a fit for middle Alison. That being said, if she was cast, I would still be more than willing for my ideas of her in the role to be proved wrong – it’s just hard for me to see it being a fit.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#207Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:51am

She abruptly left the off b'way production. Don't remember if any "clear" reason other than "personal" was ever publicly established.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#208Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 10:53am

She left the production for personal reasons, and won't be returning to Broadway as far as I know.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#209Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 6:49pm

Appreciate the clarity Dreaming on a show that has captured my heart.

Stephanatic

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#210Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 11:04pm

South Florida-I hope to be there when you see it. It's very special.

South Florida
#211Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/12/14 at 11:10pm

Utter beauty. Maybe it's storytelling that makes musical theater so much more beautiful to me?

Stephanatic

South Florida
#212Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:26pm

Triple posting probly rude, apprenticeship sucks. Melchior's funeral = nothing, I am the one reprise = nothing. Fun Home = 2 X crying like a baby.

Stephanatic

dramamama611
#213Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:31pm

Melchior doesn't die.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

South Florida
#214Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:32pm

Stephanatic
Updated On: 11/13/14 at 06:32 PM

South Florida
#215Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:33pm

Moritz, excuse

Stephanatic

dramamama611
#216Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:35pm

Regardless, my excitement matches yours. I simply can't wait.

South Florida
#217Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:37pm

It makes my heart sing at the end, and really touches the **** out of me, unlike those most well loved musicals from a few years past.

Stephanatic

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#218Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 6:38pm

I think you may need to pull back on this show a bit. At the rate you're going, nothing they put on stage is going to be able to match what you've built it up to be in your head. Which would be sad, since it is an amazing show.

If you read a lot of the early preview threads, a lot of them are that the show didn't meet their expectations, which isn't the best way to enter a show. Then, the second wave of people come in, the ones who are interested in the show but not its biggest cheerleaders, and they love it, since they weren't the people crazy to see that show, building it up in advance, and hurrying to the initial previews.

Dangerous territory. But there's enough time to pull back before this show yet. Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#219Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/13/14 at 8:27pm

I agree, get a grip South Florida! Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd

South Florida
#220Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/14/14 at 6:16am

You guys are right. I'm putting the CD away.

Stephanatic

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#221Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/14/14 at 9:48am

Don't let them rain on your parade, SoFlo. I remember when I saw my first show (I know this isn't your first, but the circumstances are rather similar), I listened to the tape (remember those?) endlessly for months on end and knew every word and my mom had even brought me a souvenir program (this was Les Miz-OBC). And I looked at it and listened to it-and you know what? It made me so excited to see it (and it turned out I loved it even more once I saw it).

I say do whatever floats your boat!

South Florida
#222Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:05pm

Confused about the apparent letter to Allison. It seems like he wrote her before he killed himself, is that accurate book readers? Did she receive the letter after he died?
Forgive me, this is my latest curiosity.

Stephanatic

South Florida
#223Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/19/14 at 8:16pm

"it seems like he wrote her before he killed himself," All comments about stupidity are welcomed.

Stephanatic

dramamama611
#224Fun Home to Open at Circle in the Square on April 22nd
Posted: 11/20/14 at 2:24am

I think what you meant is when did she receive the letter.

From memory, I'm not really sure.

Videos