Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#1Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:02am

Now, I know jukebox musicals are something of a groaner. For every good one, there are ten or twenty bad ones to sour their reputation. But they are a new, trendy thing, and they will continue to flourish whether or not we like them. So, whose trunk of material would make a good one, as opposed to a pointless, cheesy one?

Now, before you say "no one!" please do remember that there have been jukebox musicals since the dawn of theater. "Crazy For You" and the stage version of "42nd Street" are both jukebox musicals, but of Gershwin and Tin Pan Alley pop, not of pop-rock. Saying that they have more value because of their musical heritage is a moot point- the songs have no connection and storytelling value beyond the book stringing them together. Pure jukebox.

Now, as for myself, I think the two most likely candidates for a good jukebox musical are:

1: Alice Cooper. Other than maybe Pete Townshend, no rock songwriter in the past decades has been so nearly obsessive about crafting his music into musicals as Alice Cooper has. Almost all of his albums are character studies or miniature song cycles focusing on his group of characters, Alice (sometimes the narrator, sometimes the devil), Vince (Cooper's troubled, ex-alcoholic alter ego, a man struggling with faith and trust in a world that's gone downhill), Steven (a schizophrenic from a very strange family, who may or may not be a murderer) and The Black Widow (an evil entity behind many of the series' events). Plus, he's received surprising acclaim as a songwriter, with Bob Dylan and Frank Sinatra both praising his songwriting abilities. Let the man write his own libretto and this could be a hit.

2. Elton John. Back in the day, most of John's songs were character sketches, and the guy does love a good concept album. Vintage Elton John would make a much better musical than most of the shows he's written original music for.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#2re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:09am

Bruce Springsteen

Each song is like a short story.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:10am

I think a musical 'Jack and Diane' based on the music of John Melloncamp would work.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Gothampc
#3re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:11am

Fleetwood Mac
Carole King

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

AndAllThatJazz22
#4re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:12am

Although this would NEVER happen, I would KILL to see a 'Sublime' jukebox musical. Sublime might actually be my favorite band of all time.

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:12am

I think there was a Springsteen revue on a small scale somewhere in regional theatre. No characters, no plot, just a revue of the songs. For Springsteen, that would probably work VERY well.

Gothampc
#6re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:15am

I think a musical 'Jack and Diane' based on the music of John Melloncamp would work.

Right after a musical based on Brender & Eddie from Billy Joel and Billy & Patti from Rod Stewart.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

childcatcher2 Profile Photo
childcatcher2
#7re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:18am

MADONNA!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:20am

I second Madonna, although she didn't write most of the stuff, that sucker would run for decades. :)

I actually think Nanci Griffith or Jewel should write a musical. Both are incredible song-smiths.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#9re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:21am

Ben Folds writes some of the best musical theatre songs out there, whether he knows it or not. But rather than a Jukebox show, I'd prefer him write an original musical. I think that could be brilliant.

Akiva

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#10re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:25am

Bettyboy madonna has written nearly everything with the exception of Like A Virgin, Ray Of Light and a couple of others. She writes many of the tracks her self then gets world class or underground producers in to rework them for the albums. Madonna has been writing songs since before she was famous. Thats why she has won songwriter awards such as the Ivor Novello award x

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

After Eight
#11re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:26am

I wouldn't call "42nd Street" a jukebox musical. It was a stage version of a movie musical.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#12re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:32am

Yes, but, much like Desperately Seeking Susan, it created its score not with original songs, but by filling it with unrelated songs from the composer's trunk.

And even then, all the musical numbers are "in the musical" scenes. Today's directors wouldn't call it a musical at all. The characters don't sing unless they're actually singing.

Jonwo
#13re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:43am

The Bee Gees would be good although it would have to be about their life and career similar to Jersey Boys and Buddy and they have such an extensive back catalogue.

Duran Duran would be my other choice for a Mamma Mia! type jukebox musical.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#14re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:44am

The Bee Gees have Saturday Night Fever

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#15re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:45am

I totally forgot about Duran Duran...that would be divine!!!!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jewtopia
#16re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:51am

Loggins and Messina perhaps?

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#17re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:51am

LOU REED
LOU REED
LOU REED

I would LOVE to see a musical with a legit score based on his life. He is incredibly interesting, and I feel that his story would fit NYC very well- because he in many ways- embodies the city itself.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Jon
#18re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:58am

There is a Carole King revue.

There are also Randy Newman and Harry Chapin revues.

Not the same as "jukebox musicals", but still...

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#19re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:05am

I wouldn't call "42nd Street" a jukebox musical. It was a stage version of a movie musical.

Actually, I think "jukebox musical" is a good term for the show. It's not really a stage version of a single movie musical but rather several. Yes, the show is called 42nd Street and has the same plot as the film (for the most part) but it takes songs and elements from many other films. Not all of the songs in the musical version appeared in the film version. There are songs from "Golddiggers of 1933", "Dames", Footlight Parade", and many more.

And I don't know if this would be better served as a bio-musical such as Jersey Boys or having the songs being strung together by an original plot like Mamma Mia but I'd like to see the songs of the Carpenters theatericalized in some way.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#20re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:07am

With Lou Reed you almost have a score with Songs for Drella! A musical based on the life of Andy Warhol.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#21re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:08am

BEN FOLDS like WOAH.

sealionspeed Profile Photo
sealionspeed
#22re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:12am

Whole-heartedly agree with Ben Folds. "The Ascent of Stan" is possibly my favorite song ever written.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#23re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:14am

Celine Dion! HA!

As for Ben Folds...I vote for that.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

After Eight
#24re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:17am

"Today's directors wouldn't call it a musical at all."

What would they call it?

And then what should one call the stage version of "State Fair," which took the plot and songs from the movie, and added old songs from other Rodgers and Hammerstein shows? Is this then a jukebox musical too?

Videos