NYMF 2009

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#25re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/10/09 at 10:28am

Huge Michael Winther fan here too, Elke - he's the reason I'm seeing MAX UNDERSTOOD. And Everett Quinton is in it as well!

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

colorandlight2
#26re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/21/09 at 4:27pm

This is my first time seeing NYMF shows. I would like to see about three or four of them--can someone give me some suggestions as to what the "better" shows may be, please. There's a lot to choose from, which shows have the best buzz?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/22/09 at 3:37pm

According to TimeOut NY's experience during the press preview:

Good:
Fat Camp
Street Lights
Hurricane

Meh:
Under Fire
The Happy Embalmer
All Fall Down

Bad:
Judas and Me
The Cure

WTF:
Anjou

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/upstaged/2009/09/nymf-errant-a-musical-theater-preview/

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

DryMartini Profile Photo
DryMartini
#28re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/23/09 at 5:36pm

I've never seen anything at NYMF. So far I've got tickets to "Last Smoker" and "Judas & Me". I have seen musicals and plays at the Fringe and they seem to vary wildly in quality. But sometimes I've caught some pretty amazing stuff. I'm thinking "Fat Camp" looks fun, too.

trombonist
#29re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/23/09 at 5:47pm

I'm seeing Max Understood, Open the Dark Door, Rated RSO, and The Last Smoker In America. Very excited! My first time at any NYMF shows!

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#30re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:43am

NYMF opens tonight!

I'll be seeing Judas and Me and then attending the Opening Night Gala. Anyone else going to be there?

At least you're not alone - your friends are there too.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#31re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:58am

I'll be at Judas and Me tonight too. I'm really excited for this cast!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

FeelingElectric
#32re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 2:05pm

I'll be at the opening night gala tonight. I start my 32 production/reading/concert run at NYMF with Liberty on Tuesday night.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

bwaygirl211 Profile Photo
bwaygirl211
#33re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 4:23pm

how exactly does the seating work? is it "first come first serve" at the theater, or do they go based off the order in which people purchased the tickets?

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#34re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 4:25pm

NYMF pass holders get to go in first, and then it's first come first serve for general ticket holders.

WhizzerMarvin
#35re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/28/09 at 11:50pm

I had a lot of fun at Judas and Me tonight! The score was so tuneful, and I was humming the final number all the way to the subway.

Leslie Kritzer is such an amazing talent. Not enough can be said about this true comedic gem. She lands every laugh and her voice sure packs a wallop. The note she hit at the end of act one was incredible.

Jennifer Laura Thompson is hilarious as Mary. Also in perfect voice. Her part was a little underwritten in act two, but was always welcome when on stage.

Ann Harada is riot. She is in a crazy red wig, and her facial expressions were too much. Nikki Snelson has an extended dance break that she executed with flair.

Nick Blaemire and Doug Kreeger were good as Judas and Jesus respectively. I felt like these characters could have been fleshed out a bit more, but the show really centered around the women in their lives.

Saving the best for last, I found Barbara Walsh to be wonderful. I truly believe she is one of the more underrated actresses in New York. She gives such an honest, grounded performance.

This was such a wonderful to start the festival for me. Judas and Me is the perfect type of show for nymf. It's genuinely funny, a little campy and has catchy tunes. (That's not to say you can't have a serious show at nymf, but often those come off as dull and pretentious.)

I'm seeing 18 more nymf shows and this gave me the courage to go to the rest! Congrats to all involved.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#36re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/29/09 at 12:11am

Your enthusiasm is contagious, Ben. And DAMN! I had no idea the JUDAS cast featured those names!!!

WhizzerMarvin
#37re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/29/09 at 12:31am

Yes this was truly a cast of stars. It's rare you even have this many names in a Broadway show, and to see them perform in a small venue like this is thrilling.

btw- I know this doesn't have anything to do with Judas and me, but seeing Barbara Walsh tonight reminded me of how ROBBED she was of a Tony nom for Company. This woman is an utter star in my book and I hope the First Wives Club comes in, if only to see her back on the Broadway stage where she belongs.

MissNY
#38re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/29/09 at 10:23am

I have a ticket to Hurricane for Thursday, October 1, but I really want to go on the added performance on the 13th. Does anyone have a ticket for the 13th and would prefer to go this week? Do a ticket switch? Please PM me if anyone can help me out. Thanks!

ASongULove Profile Photo
ASongULove
#39re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 1:50am

Saw THE CURE tonight - I loved it.

Great cast, great time, great outfits...hehe...

And even saw David Hyde Pierce chillin amidst the packed audience.

I recommend it. Highly!

FeelingElectric
#40re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 6:14am

I saw Liberty last night and was absolutely thrilled.

It's a creative re-telling of the story behind getting France's most famous immigrant her pedestal.

I love how the story portrayed The Statue of Liberty (played fantastically by Diana DeGarmo) as an immigrant herself, which tied into the stories and struggles of the other characters. Think of it as sort of a Ragtime-lite.

Besides Diana, there were other standout performances from the 14 person cast included Leah Horowitz, Ghraham Rowat, John Hillner, Ryan Duncan and Mary-Pat Green.

I will be seeing 3 shows at NYMF today, Whatever Man, Mo Faya and The Greenwood Tree.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield
Updated On: 9/30/09 at 06:14 AM

massofmen
#41re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 8:59am

i saw liberty last night and was bored out of my skull. No standing ovation for a musical? First time since 1998 i think. Wow this was bad.

notabb
#42re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 9:19am

have to agree JUDAS AND ME is a lot of fun.

CRS14 Profile Photo
CRS14
#43re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 9:27am

Saw Whatever Man last night - yikes.

I'm the biggest Colin Hanlon fan you'll find, so I had high hopes for a production he was attached to. There was only so much he can do, however, to keep me interested.

The plot is all over the place, there isn't any real continuity, only a few of the songs are memorable, and the use of the video board became boring and tiresome.

Colin was terrific (maybe I'm biased), but I wouldn't recommend this show, unfortunately.

At least you're not alone - your friends are there too.

WhizzerMarvin
#44re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 9:37am

CRS14- That's too bad about Whatever Man. I'm a big Hanlon fan too and am seeing it on the 4th. He was so wonderful in the How Now Dow Jones revival at the Fringe I just had to catch this.

I'm seeing Under Fire tonight.

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#45re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 11:29am

I'm really excited about Fantasy Football, the Musical? I can't wait!

holdyourbatboy
#46re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 12:37pm

Street Lights is really going to be the sleeper show of the festival. Not as much buzz bc it is the last show, but this is the show everyone will be talking about by the end. Trust me.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#47re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 2:34pm

I got several tickets through work and am excited for each of them. I've never been to a NYMF show!

So far I'm seeing:

Fat Camp (10/2)
Judas & Me (10/9)
Hurricane (10/13)
The Toymaker (10/17)

We'll see how they go...

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

theatermaven2
#48re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:08pm

OMG! We saw THE CURE last night, and it ROCKED! Great songs, really fun time. Finally, a musical that got the vampire thing right!

sondhead
#49re: NYMF 2009
Posted: 9/30/09 at 5:52pm

Updated On: 11/12/09 at 05:52 PM