pixeltracker

AVENUE Q Final Performance "Review"

AVENUE Q Final Performance "Review"

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#1AVENUE Q Final Performance "Review"
Posted: 9/13/09 at 11:37pm

Not really a review, more of an extended post of me gushing about how much I love Avenue Q and how amazing the final performance was. So yes, I am biased.

First of all, the lottery was PACKED. Easily more than 100 people there, for only 6 names. The show was completely sold out, so there was nothing like a Rent final performance where they pulled more tickets out of nowhere. So the odds were mad unfavorable.

A mostly unenthusiastic few were chosen, including a guy who automatically held up two tickets in the air and promptly sold them for face value.

The Golden was mobbed with producers, actors, creatives before the show, since basically all of the tickets were pulled and the show was full of people who have been (or I guess, will be) involved with the show. This kind of made for an audience full of people who were familiar with the jokes, but absolutely nothing was modest about the laughter.

It was truly an honor to see the Golden so full of life after having seen the show many times with a near-empty rear mezzanine. The most applause were probably for Ann Harada after "The More You Ruv Someone," "My Girlfriend who Lives in Canada," and, pleasantly, "I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today." All characters and puppets got entrance applause, including the Bad Idea Bears (Ricky got modest applause).

The show went along without a hitch, no stepping out of character or sobbing on stage. During "For Now," casts from Vegas, Broadway, Tour, the creative team, designers, etc all came out and sang the final verses, including "This show! is only for now."

We were then treated to about 10 minutes of speeches, which included jokes about the Tony Award and how long the show has run, and probably the best line of the night: "What's an Oleanna?"

And you all know by now that yes, we were told that Avenue Q now has a home at the New World Stages, starting 3.5 weeks from tonight. Tickets are already on sale. This news got an insane amount of applause from the audience, and I don't think there was anyone in the theatre, cast included, who wasn't shocked by the news.

I asked a couple of actors at the stage door if they were continuing with the show and they told us that they had no idea that the show was transferring.

An absolutely magnificent evening of theatre, and the most emotionally-charged roller coaster I have ever been on. I don't hide the fact that Avenue Q is my favorite musical that I have ever seen, nor can I count the number of times I have actually seen the show, but the final performance was not the sob-fest I thought it would be. Even before it was announced that the show would be transferring, it was clear that this was a celebration of the success of a show that was severely underestimated every step of the way. All good things must come to an end, but everything in life is only for now.

And for all of the people I saw on these boards talk about how they never saw the show, or never gave it a chance, or it wasn't "up their alley," you now have more time to see it. Do NOT put it off.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#2re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:00am

Best night ever! I was thankful to be there! I am even more thankful that the show will continue. It is also my favorite Broadway show and now it will tie with my favorite Off Broadway show, Forbidden Broadway. Maybe that can move to New World Stages. My two favorite shows which were both BMI workshops.

What an emotional night. Go and see Avenue Q!

wafflehouse2005 Profile Photo
wafflehouse2005
#2re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:21am

It was an amazing exprience, and I'm glad my first closing show was with Avenue Q. I cried, laughed, and was so happy when the announcement was made that the show would be moving to NWS.

I was fairly surprised at some of the changes they had made, I assume just because it was the final performance. I saw it in March, and there were several things thathad changed just since then.

I loved "For Now" when everyone came out. And the speech was nice, concise, and very appropriate.

The applause was intense, and Ann was the highlight of the evening for me. Loved her.

Overall, very nice closing, and I am so glad that this show will be continued to be enjoyed. At intermission, I got sad because I was sitting there thinking about how this little show would be there no more, and how sad it will be to walk through the theatre district and not see the big orange Q in the distance. At least now it can continue to flourish and make many others, not excluding myself, very happy theatregoers for a very long time to come.

viola13
#3re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:44am

It was a wonderful night, and I got a little more emotional than I thought I was going to. I couldn't believe it when they announced they were moving!

Does anyone remember what Ann said after "Not Wearing Underwear Today"? Normally it's "Get a job!" but she said something else, but I couldn't make it out.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#4re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 3:58am

I think she said "Don't encourage him!" which I have never heard before

zamedy
#5re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:44am

WOW. Just got chills and tears in my eyes watching the final "For Now." God I love this show. Would have given anything to be there last night. Did any of the actors get choked up at all during their performances? It kinda sounded like Rob was a little emotional when singing the very last line of "For Now." Was he?

Were John T. or Stephanie there? I couldn't find them in the mass of cast alumni on the stage.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#6re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 11:49am

John T wasn't there. and yes Rob was emotional during the last line of "For Now"

Such a great night and cyco, I think I was talking with you at the stage door--I was in a red dress.

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#7re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:42pm

Red dress? I think you might have been infront of me on the Lotto line. I had the avenue Q shirt with all the puppets on it.

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#8re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 12:52pm

I agree everyone, it was such a special evening. I was talking to some folks at intermission about why the show didn't work in Vegas, and I think the answer is that it is to damn smart. The humor is still so timely, sharp, and hasn't aged a bit.

Here's to the next life of Avenue Q at NWS!

I can't wait to eat it's **** again!
Updated On: 9/14/09 at 12:52 PM

iWannaBEaSedaris Profile Photo
iWannaBEaSedaris
#9re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 1:06pm

Wow! My reply post was just censored for having a word that rhymes with *bussy* in it.

Come on guys, I was quoting the show...

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#10re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/14/09 at 2:21pm

Blockhead, did we have a conversation about Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig and the mob at the stage door. If so, it was nice talking with you re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#11re: AVENUE Q Final Performance 'Review'
Posted: 9/15/09 at 3:46am

iWannaBEaSedaris, Q did not play as long in Vegas simply because Vegas is not a thetre town. It's show town.

I saw it at what would have been one of John T's final performances but he was not on that night.

A few weeks later they brought in a new cast and cut 20 minutes (including intermission)but it didn't spur sales. Also the hotel and theatre where it played was a little off the main strip so it didn't get all the attention it deserved.

But mostly its the crowds in Vegas. They are not into "theatre." Hairspray failed there as well.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com