Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#1Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:57pm

Should I be scared?

GIZMO2 Profile Photo
GIZMO2
#2re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/2/09 at 8:59pm

Or just drunk?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/2/09 at 9:47pm

You just need to keep an open mind. You might enjoy it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#3re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/2/09 at 9:51pm

Seriously. If you go in with the mind set your gonna hate it, its gonna be pretty hard to change it no matter how good the show is.

You have to realize no matter what oppinion anyone has here, everyones is diffrent.

Keep us updated!

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#4re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 12:38pm

definitely let us know.. I've been curious about it

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#5re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 12:55pm

My wife & I throughy enjoyed it.

After reading some of the putdowns of it in other threads, she shook her head in disbelief.

Poster Emeritus

singer73192 Profile Photo
singer73192
#6re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 1:54pm

I actually really enjoyed MEMPHIS. Is it perfect? Not by any means, but it provides for what I found to be a fun night of theatre. But then again, I'm just a sucker for some good ole gospel belting!

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#7re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 2:27pm

Don't be scared, you should go in with an open mind. I saw it last week and truly enjoyed it. It's not the best show ever, but I liked the music, choreography and strong vocal performances.

CJR
#8re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 9:32pm

From what Im hearing, there's very little in between. You either love it or you hate it. Personally, Im looking forward to seeing it. Should be interesting, if nothing else

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

vodkastinger Profile Photo
vodkastinger
#9re: Seeing Memphis tomorrow night . . .
Posted: 10/3/09 at 11:33pm

Saw the show tonight, and was very disappointed. Barring people on this message board (many of whom never have anything positive to say about anything) I had heard good word of mouth.

There was so much potential in the story, and the immense talent of the people on stage. However, as someone who grew up in the South and lived in the shadow of the South's deep stain of racism, I hated the way they handled it. It was very apparent that this show was written and directed by white people who have spent very little time in Tennessee. From the opening moments, it was very apparent that they were going to handle the topic extremely shallowly. Every time I was pulled back into it, which was actually quite often, they someone drained a little more water out of the pool.

However, the house was packed tonight and the crowd seemed extremely responsive, jumping to their feet on the first chorus bow. I feel like this could actually do rather well. I mean, after all, movies of this nature succeed all the time. Dumbing down tough issues and giving people a sense of catharsis about them is usually a succeeding strategy. I really wish however that they would have had someone involved with the production who could have taken out the worst bits of triteness in the book and lyrics, and beefed up the complexity of the story.

Oh well!