pixeltracker

Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, North Carolina Dates Announced- Page 2

Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, North Carolina Dates Announced

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#25Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 10:14pm

Oh please, Sutton Foster is the Karen Mason of her generation. Bomb after bomb (just because TMM was financially successful and won a tony does not mean it was a good show).

Heck, she just did the CARRIE reading for chrissakes!

I do wish her well, but the timing of this seems VERY off. It would almost make more sense for her to have done this following her album release or, even further back, her Tony win. It seems she was more visible then before the Idinas/Kristins/Kerry Butlers/LBBs showed up and outshone her (my opinion).

P

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#26Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 10:38pm

Well I don't know if I agre with the comparison to Idina/Kristin/etc... because Sutton has little crossover to TV and Movies. She is a stage comedian and very grateful for it!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#27Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:11pm

I think she's pretty happy working on stage and honestly, she has a beautiful voice that she doesn't blow out like LBB and Idina. She consistently sounds good. Also, while the projects might bomb, most of them are very high profile endeavors where she is working with some amazing creative teams. She is a working stage actress who commits to a lot of new projects. She's not a media-whore, scenery chewing diva who takes whatever they can get in whatever medium they are offered and come off very scattered. She seems committed and focused and doesn't just run back to Broadway when a sitcom or movie bombs. Give her a break.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#28Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:24pm

I will always have respect for Idina if only because she chose to do an esoteric, difficult musical with a 5 person cast in a tiny off-Broadway theatre by a legendarily complex author following what is unquestionably the most notable performance (love it or hate it) in the most successful show of the 00s. SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE is about as far from WICKED as you can get.

As I said, GL to Sutton. But she does not appear to have the high-profile career to pull off a concert tour on the level of Kristin, Idina, or LuPone, Peters, etc. We will see.

P

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#29Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:43pm

I totally agree with your statement concerning Idina Menzel. I have the utmost respect for her choosing to commit to See What I Wanna See right after Wicked. She was excellent in it.
Updated On: 1/25/10 at 11:43 PM

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#30Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:46pm

Except, unlike many of the concert appearances that Kristin, Idina, LuPone and Peters have done, these are all going to be in relatively intimate venues usually seating 300-500. It's not as if she has to sell out a 3000 seat concert hall.

In my hometown we used to have people like her come through all the time. Most of them were even less well known than Sutton Foster - I remember there was Debbie Gravitte, Jodi Benson, Liz Callaway, etc. They still managed to fill the house most nights because the venue had a built in audience. I was usually in a small minority of people who actually were familiar with the performers' work.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#31Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/26/10 at 12:46am

"I think she's pretty happy working on stage and honestly, she has a beautiful voice that she doesn't blow out like LBB and Idina. She consistently sounds good. Also, while the projects might bomb, most of them are very high profile endeavors where she is working with some amazing creative teams. She is a working stage actress who commits to a lot of new projects. She's not a media-whore, scenery chewing diva who takes whatever they can get in whatever medium they are offered and come off very scattered. She seems committed and focused and doesn't just run back to Broadway when a sitcom or movie bombs. Give her a break"

What a good way to describe Kristin Chenoweth!

And yes, I agree, Idina deserves all the good things you guys say, she was really brave and clever with her choice to do Off Bway right after one of the most successful roles in Broadway history.

And about Sutton, I think she is great and has a great voice, but I just don't think she chooses good musicals to be in. Maybe she doesn't have too many choices, since Broadway is a small market. But the only 2 shows I enjoyed that involved her, were Millie and Young Frankenstein, period.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#32Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/26/10 at 11:31am

Like theatreguy said, Sutton is playing very small houses. She needs to start somewhere to build a following outside of NYC. I am thrilled to be seeing her not in a show and not a part of some cheesy Pops Orchestra package. This is very exciting to me. I can't wait.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MillieDillmount Profile Photo
MillieDillmount
#33Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/27/10 at 2:26am

I loved Sutton's concert! It was a lot of fun! I also was at her Lincoln Center concert last Feb and her set list very was similiar. I'm so glad she did Show Off again, and the Not For the Life of Me / NYC / Astonishing medley! Show Off such a fun song. I love how she changes it up. It's the funniest thing.

Did anyone see someone there from either BWW or Broadway.com? I could have sworn I could hear a camera clicking a lot throughout the show. But nothing is turning up. Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N Maybe it was just from Joe's Pub or something. Did anyone see a camera?

RachelO Profile Photo
RachelO
#34Sutton Foster to Launch National Concert Tour; Ohio, California, Florida, N
Posted: 1/31/10 at 10:53pm

I didn't see this on the partial set list, but does anyone have any idea as to if she's singing Nobody's Cryin'? Updated On: 1/31/10 at 10:53 PM