Met Opera rush?

tking001
#1Met Opera rush?
Posted: 2/1/10 at 3:19pm

What time do people usually start lining up for rush tickets for the Met Opera's? I want to rush La Boheme but have no idea what time I would need to get in line. They start selling them 2 hours prior to the show. Anyone know what time the line usually starts forming?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#2Met Opera rush?
Posted: 2/1/10 at 3:34pm

1 in the afternoon, if not earlier.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

tking001
#2Met Opera rush?
Posted: 2/1/10 at 3:58pm

for the 8PM show?
wow I didn't think it would be that early

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#3Met Opera rush?
Posted: 2/1/10 at 4:03pm

Given that Netrebko is singing Mimi this season, 1PM is probably a safe estimate. People line up as early as 11:30 sometimes. Please realize also that only 150 seats are sold each night at the box office, so if the line looks ridiculously long... it's probably not worth the effort.

madscientist
#4Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 8:58pm

so they set aside 150 seats for the student rush? I'm trying to figure out what time I would need to get there for a 1pm matinee. I live really far away so I can't get there ridiculously early. I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying. It seems to be close to sold out.

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#5Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 9:28pm

It's a general rush, not student, and yes, the tickets are set aside.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#6Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 11:52pm

I don't know if they've already held off those seats already, but Boheme is always a hot seller for any opera company. It almost always sells out each performance every year at the Met. With Netrebko singing Mimi, it's probably even tougher to get this year.

I was under the impression that each remaining performance is sold out, so your best bet is to try for standing room. It's cheap, has the best(in my opinion) sound in the entire house, and the opera is short.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

madscientist
#7Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/13/10 at 11:54pm

Thanks Yero! I wonder if they also have a student rush? I thought they did for some reason. I shall research. Does anyone know what time they line up for rush on matinee days? Do people camp out? I don't think I can get there much before 10am since I am coming from a distance. My guess is since it is close to sold out it will be a crazy rush, but I am hoping it's not.

frogs_fan85
#8Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 3:35am

The rest of La Boheme this season is completely sold out.

The 200 (150 box office, 50 for seniors over the phone/internet) rush tickets for the Monday-Thursday performances are blocked off before ticket sales begin.

General rush is not available for Friday and Saturday performances.

The Met has student rush for students 29 and under and those tickets are subject to availability. Weekday perfs are $27.50 and Friday/Saturday ones are $37.50.

Standing room in the orchestra and the family circle goes on sale at 10AM the day of the performance and can be purchased in person, over the phone or online.

Yero my Hero
#9Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 11:57am

What frogs said.

They have a student rush policy, but if a show is selling well, it will not be offered.

I've done standing room before and it was a great view and wonderful sound, but it can be painful to stand for a three-hour opera.

madscientist
#10Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 3:58pm

Thanks for all the info! I have thought about SRO, but like you said, standing through a 3 hour Opera can be painful! But then, I stood through Fuerza Bruta, I know that's only a little over an hour, but still...I'm thinking if I stood through that maybe I should let my legs ache a bit for La Boheme. I have to think about it though, I really want to see Netrebko, and it looks like I would just get there at 10am, get the tickets and leave. no real waiting in long lines for hours. Is there at least a wall to sort of lean on? There usually is a wall to put your elbows on which makes it a little easier. Are there any issues with height for SRO at the Met? I would guess not since they don't have anything on their website that I can see. I do know on Broadway sometimes they say if you are below a certain height you won't be able to have a complete view.
Updated On: 3/14/10 at 03:58 PM

frogs_fan85
#11Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 6:23pm

SR in the orchestra is three rows, each with a railing that has the MetTitles system.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 7:23pm

And, SRO in the Family Circle is one long row across the back that does have a railing that has MetTitles as well.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Yero my Hero
#13Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/14/10 at 7:54pm

I'm 5'2" and I could see fine.

madscientist
#14Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/17/10 at 11:44pm

Thanks for all the info! It pretty much clears up all the concerns I have, and even the questions I forgot to ask(about the subtitles). Just one more question, what time do people start lining up for SRO, or should getting there at 10am(the earliest it seems I could really get there) be early enough to get a ticket? It looks like they have 195 SRO tickets so hopefully that is early enough, but I know La Boheme is very popular.

frogs_fan85
#15Met Opera rush?
Posted: 3/18/10 at 9:32am

It's actually 175 (100 Orchestra, 75 Family Circle). As an FYI, you can order standing room online or over the phone starting at 10AM if you don't want to go to the box office. There is a service fee involved though.

Videos