DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!- Page 12

DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#275DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/13 at 11:12am

I just purchased the SECONDS novel by David Ely via amazon.com

Digital download was only $3.41

Looking forward to a good read and then pick up the blu-ray as well.

Roscoe
#276DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/13 at 11:49am

Carlos -- I'd recommend seeing the movie first.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

CarlosAlberto
#277DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/13 at 1:56pm

I've seen the film. I had the original Paramount Home Video release on DVD. I've never read the novel though...

Roscoe
#278DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/13 at 2:12pm

Oh, OK, hadn't realized. There are some differences between the two that I found interesting, I think it is easier to appreciate both novel and film if you see the film first.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

CarlosAlberto
#279DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/18/13 at 2:17pm

Yes. I am a BIG fan of the film. Saw it late one night on TCM and it left an indelible impression....on my psyche. I love films that fvck with the mind. SECONDS is surely one of those. I will take your advice and watch the film first and then read the novel.

romantico Profile Photo
romantico
#280DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/29/13 at 11:25am

Warner Archives Black Friday Sale. 5 for $50 (which includes Blu-Rays) They usually start it on Black Friday and extend it to Cyber Monday.Not this year. Sale ends at Midnight December 1st so take advantage!

http://www.wbshop.com/category/code/blackfriday_wbshop.do?promo=sliderBLACKFRIDAYwac

FYI, Barnes and Noble's Criterion Sale is still going on.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?PRO=2220&store=DVD

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 11/29/13 at 11:25 AM

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#281DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/29/13 at 11:34am

The sale for B&N on Criterions ends this week so get on it.

And Olive films has a sale with promo code: BLACKOLIVE for sales. Among their titles they have Johnny Guitar on Blu, Histoire(s) du Cinema, The Quiet Man, The Big Combo, and The Bells of St. Mary's.
http://www.olivefilms.com/feature/olive-picks/

Cinema Guild also has 50% off its titles. Highly recommend Leviathan, Marwencol, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, 35 Shots of Rum, and The Beaches of Agnes.
http://cinemaguild.com/homevideo/store.htm

strummergirl
#282DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/29/13 at 4:21pm

For anybody who does not have a DVD/Blu Ray Player that is region locked:

Masters of Cinema (Eureka! series in the UK, they often carry titles that appear on Criterion here but also have their own impressive haul) has a sale today.

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/MoChome.html

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/BD.html

Rocco and His Brothers, Lifeboat, Red River, Fritz Lang's Mabuse series, Sirk's A Time to Love and a Time to Die, Sirk's Faulkner adaptation The Tarnished Angels, a lot of Pasolini, and Silent Running.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#283DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/30/13 at 10:11am

Overall, the bargains don't seem to be as good this year as in the last couple of years. Still, I managed to buy a nice stash of discs.

I liked the Warner Archive deals and the regular Warner Bros. home video website deals better than Amazon's or Deep Discount's or Barnes & Noble's.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

strummergirl
#284DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/30/13 at 2:24pm

^^^^
Definitely really like WB Shop's sales the most, although my first large order had The Wild Bunch missing and I am still trying to get a response from WB on what happened to it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#285DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/30/13 at 3:22pm

I had a random title that went on backorder, too. I just got it today though, but it was 10 days after the rest of the order arrived.

I like that they have free shipping on all orders, with no minimum. Amazon bumped their minimum up to $35 this season. (grumble)

strummergirl
#286DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/30/13 at 4:22pm

Yup! I was upset by that development. I already had items of other people on my buy and went real cheap for myself thinking I got the bare minimum. Nope!

Roscoe
#287DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 11/30/13 at 8:55pm

I picked up THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE and THE ICE STORM, a nice way to end the B&N Criterion sale.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#288DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/9/13 at 2:06pm

Speaking of The Sound of Music ... you can now own the 3-disc set (two BDs and a the DVD) of the 1965 movie with a fantastic restoration of picture and sound ...

... for $9.99!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#289DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/19/13 at 6:36am

Had to share this one today ...

The complete Loony Tunes Gold Collection (vols. 1-6) containing roughly 360 of their cartoons, remastered, with plenty of extras!

I have these, and they are terrific.

One-day only sale - $59.99

Amazon link

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#290DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/19/13 at 7:30am

Finally picked it up for $30!

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#291DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/19/13 at 8:13am

That's a wonderful BD set, MrMidwest! I got it for a similar price at Costco last year ($24.99).

The movies all look and sound great!

Roscoe
#292DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/19/13 at 10:35am

Love me some Looney Tunes -- some of the greatest films ever made end with the words "That's All Folks!"

Are the Blu-rays an appreciable improvement over the DVDs?

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#293DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/26/13 at 7:07am

Best, I work as a projectionist up here in Michigan at a small artsy theater.

The other day, I put the Gentlemen Prefers Blondes blu ray up on the screen. The feeling that Marilyn was actually in the room was wild. There were so many little sexy/funny/cute things she did with her face and voice that I've never noticed before. I was in awe and completely mesmerized at several points.

The movie really flows well. It feels like the mother of Clueless, Romy & Michele, and Legally Blonde.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#294DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 12/26/13 at 11:57am

I saw that Amazon is having a huge sale right now. They have the complete series of Friends for $89.99 on DVD and $149.99 on blu-ray. I forget what else they have. I ended up ordering Pitch Perfect on blu-ray for $11.49.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#295DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 1/2/14 at 10:21am

A nice post-holiday sale at Warner Archives, for those who just didn't get enough deals in December ...

5 for $45, plus free shipping, includes BDs

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#296DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 1/2/14 at 12:23pm

There are SO MANY!!!!

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#297DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 1/2/14 at 5:33pm

Thanks for the heads up Besty. I didn't realize 2 of my favorite obscure MGM musicals "Two Tickets to Broadway" and "Skirts Ahoy!" were now on DVD, so picked those up. Also grabbed Small Town Girl, I Love Melvin, and Texas Carnival.

There are also some good deals in the WB Shop, too. Got Calamity Jane for 5 bucks.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#298DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 1/2/14 at 5:48pm

Very glad to hear it, Mildred!

I kinda went too crazy last month, so I'm laying low for now (or trying to).

But nine bucks a disc with free shipping is a sweet deal, particularly on some obscure titles and BDs.

By the way, anybody on the fence about getting the "Gypsy" Blu-ray, it's a gorgeous transfer and a huge upgrade from the DVD.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#299DVD and Blu-ray Disc bargains!
Posted: 1/2/14 at 6:04pm

I just watched my old DVD again and couldn't get through it. Roz is just so bad.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2