Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews- Page 5

Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#101Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:35pm

"The entire score is brilliant, actually. As for De Jesus, he's playing the last character he did but this time in drag. While you're there please tell him he doesn't need to put a period at. the. end. of. ev.e.ry. wor.d. And that if he is trying to do a Rosie Perez impression, its the saddest one I've ever seen."

Okay, Mr. Contrarian. Listen I thought the score was mostly boring. All of George's songs sounded the same to me and they weren't catchy at all. This may be because for the most part I hate songs for males, I find most to be incredibly boring and fall flat often. As for De Jesus, he can play the same role over and over and I will still love him. He knows how to get the laughs and is incredibly entertaining.

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#102Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/11/10 at 10:38pm

sorry but, I'm with adam on this one. over all i was expecting to be BLOWN away however, i was checking my watch during the 1st act 20 minutes into it. Sadly i had to wait another hour to get out of my seat. then the second act was another hour. Douglas improved upon and did a great job impersonating Nathan Lane in Birdcage. He'll certainly get nominated and deservingly, although I don't think he should win because he did nothing original and nathan might be nominated as well. we've all seen this character before time and time again. basically it's great material and he did a wonderful job with it.

As for the cagelles they were under used. great start for them and they had the biggest applause at the end of the night. i don't understand someone earlier saying the choreography was good? the big bird cage number was so short and had no choreography in it...seemed like a scene change.

anyway, if you want a tacky british version of a show we've all seen before then go see it. it can be fun for some.

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#103Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/12/10 at 12:21am

I'm sorry, but those of y'all who found this show underwhelming are nuts. I attended yesterday's matinee and was amazed...by everything.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I still think y'all are nuts :)

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

tippet
#104Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/12/10 at 8:52am

I saw the Saturday matinee. Now I see why it has transferred. This show is blissful, the storytelling spot-on (so funny and yet so moving) and the wonderful performances from Doug and Kelsey and the amazing cagelles deserve every standing ovation they receive. This show, right now, in this form,is perfect.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#105Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/16/10 at 2:17pm

I saw this show this past Tuesday and could not have possibly enjoyed it more. This is my first exposure to La Cage and it was such a treat. Douglas Hodge was truly mesmerizing in the role and should be a lock for Best Actor come Tony-time. My only complaint about his performance would be diction. I was raised mostly in Marbella (Spain), which is kind of like this melting pot of Europe. So I had friends with accents ranging from places like Wales, Brighton, Scotland, London, Croatia...you name it. I pride myself on my ability to understand pretty much anything that is said. And even I had trouble understanding some of what Hodge was saying - at first. Once the show got going (probably around or after "A Little Mascara") I really fell for his interpretation. The only other note I would give the actors (particularly the two leads) is to speak up. There were a few times I wanted to shout it out to the cast, but I realize I wasn't at a production of Fences so that's not kosher.

What surprised me is how the piece is not the least bit dated. I really expected to go in and see this over-the-top lampooning of gay issues, obviously weighed down with a family story everyone can relate to. Instead what I got was something that could not possibly be more appropriate, especially considering how hot gay issues are right now. Another shocker for me was how little I found funny. Don't get me wrong - the moments intended for comedy got laughs. Robin De Jesus in particular was astounding and pretty much stole each and every scene he was in.

What made it clear that I was getting something different than others was watching the video PalJoey posted of the 2005 La Cage revival. There, Daniel Davis talked about the madcap hilarity than ensues when a son brings the bigots home to dinner. Perhaps that was how that particular production was directed, but with this one I thought it could not be further from the truth. Yes, I laughed at the scenes with Albin pretending to be the Mother. Yes, I thought the comedic bits (including everything with The Cagelles) hit perfectly. But I was also so touched by it all and almost mortified by Jean-Michael. Many here cite his acting as not-so-good, but I actually found it to be quite effective. Unfortunately, the effect it had on me was hatred for the character. Though I am a gay man, I also have a straight friend with two mothers. For some reason, instead of picturing myself in the role of Albin (or even that of Georges) for these scenes, I thought of the Moms I know so well.

For that reason, it just hurt so much. When Jean-Michael tells his family how hard it was for him growing up, I just wanted to slap him and burst into tears. Here was a man (or, rather, two men) who gave up everything for Jean-Michael, as perfectly illustrated in "Look Over There". Yet the son could not be more of an ungrateful pri*k. It wasn't until the end when he apologizes to Albin, and hugs him, that I really cared for (and understood) the character.

So I'm echoing what most here have said about enjoying the show. Yet where most people laughed, I couldn't help but cry. Cry at how beautiful this show is, cry at how fortunate I was/am to see La Cage in my life (you have to realize I live in Las Vegas and only make a trip or two a year), cry because it moved me, and mostly cry because I really, truly felt for these characters. It wasn't just a man in drag on stage. It wasn't just Frasier crooning out songs. This was true people, flesh and blood, giving it there all. And the real testament to that is definitely Mr. Hodge, who gives every last bit of himself to the audience. I didn't even realize how much I cared until the end of Act One (after "I Am What I Am") when the person next to me silently handed me a bunch of tissues. I had been so enthralled in what I was watching that I hadn't even noticed just how much my eyes were leaking. Now THAT is good theater.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#106Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/16/10 at 2:30pm

T minus 12 days and counting until I see "La Cage" again. LOVED the London version when I saw it in Sept.

Ryan4
#107Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/17/10 at 11:18pm

I've got to recommend this highly.

I was left on a high after today's matinee, for many reasons.

Douglas Hodge is intoxicating in this role. Somehow, he manages not to sacrifice comedy nor complexity in his performance, and delivers a portrayal that is both effortlessly funny and sincerely touching. I don't understand the few accusations I've read that he either he can't sing (he certainly can, though it's not the antiseptic Broadway sound you may be used to) or isn't believable as a woman (as if mere trickery were the object of it). This is a very special performance that is on its own worth the price of admission.

The show stoppers are true show stoppers. In contrast to the 2005 revival, in which the big numbers were appreciable mostly for all the hard work that seemed to be going on up there, this one delivers the thrills. There's a unity of directorial vision, choreography, design and performance that keeps it from being only about showing off.

Kelsey Grammer was more than I expected; he does not chew the scenery, as I thought he might. He is elegant and restrained and actually has a pleasant voice.

The show itself is no masterpiece - there's a string of forgettable tunes and silly book scenes in act two, and virtually none of the supporting characters are written with any depth (though some talented actors here do their best). But the central love story - that of Georges and Albin's romance - is genuinely touching, and the show has a big and generous heart. It's really impossible to resist.

The only major flaw with the production is Robin de Jesus, who does a broad parody of Rosie Perez which is weirdly out of synch with the rest of the production.

Updated On: 4/17/10 at 11:18 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#108Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/17/10 at 11:24pm

I really wish someone would explain the accents in this production to me. Are they supposed to have French accents or not? Grammer and Andreas are doing French. Hodge is doing Cockney. De Jesus is doing Puerto Rican. A.J Shively and the rest are doing American.
It's just kind of confusing to me.

Ryan4
#109Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/17/10 at 11:29pm

Perhaps there's been a change, but at today's matinee Grammer was definitely not doing a French accent. He sounded pretty much exactly like Frasier Crane.

I didn't have a problem with any of the accents. It seemed to indicate that the characters had origins from all over the place - America, the UK, France - and settled in St. Tropez. Fine. The only one that bothered me was Robin de Jesus's, not because of the fact that he had an accent but because it was so distractingly bad.

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#110Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/17/10 at 11:34pm

Just got home from a wonderful day in the city where I caught today's matinee. I'll write more later but I found the show simply wonderful. There is no other way to put it. I went in only knowing the story through The Birdcage. Of course I knew some of the memorable tunes but this was my first production I've seen.
I am on such a high after today and I'm going to bed with a big smile on my face. Can not remember the last time I've had this much FUN in a theatre.
I hope it gets raves across the board tomorrow night!!

Jonwo
#111Who's seeing the first preview of La Cage tonight?/Reviews
Posted: 4/18/10 at 8:40pm

In the London production, the actors used their normal accents with the exception of Hodge and the characters of Jacob and Jacqueline who used a French accent and it did work.