pixeltracker

BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!

BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!

jeffmiele
#1BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 12:03am

won the tickets through MTV to see American Idiot tonight. was so happy to see it again, seats were great, performance was awesome.. Green Day walks in before the performance and gets a huge applause and sat near us which was great..

but at the end, after curtain call, the band came on stage and performed American Idiot and Basket Case.. UNBELIEVABLE NIGHT.. it was honestly too cool

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#2BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 1:45am

I'm sure that was pretty awesome to see, but I think they need to let the show stand on its own. If I want to see Green Day in concert I'll pay for to see one of their concerts.

I know that sounds cynical, in a way, but I like to see the show itself and not so much the creators, unless it's opening or closing night.

I felt the same way with the promotion of '21 Guns'. The female leads get their moment to shine in a public performance, but the male leads don't because Billie Joe Armstrong assumes the male vocals. I know it's his song, but within the context of the Broadway Show it's not.

CJR
#2BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 1:51am

I saw the show with a reviewer friend of mine tonight and absolutely loved it. It was a huge surprise, to me, anyway - apparently some people were already aware of this. We knew there'd be an encore, NOT that it would be Green Day.

The show itself, I adored. I loved the way they told each character's story and I found some parts particularly moving. For me, Green Day coming out at the end was just an added bonus.

jeffmiele, we must have been sitting near each other because the band was only 2 rows behind me.

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Updated On: 4/23/10 at 01:51 AM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 2:07am

Keven520, I can see where your coming from but I disagree. I think that with the popularity of the American Idiot cast album both with theatre fans and non theatre fans alike, the full cast version of 21 Guns sans Billy Joe on vocals is getting its chance to be heard.

Also, wasn't there a version of the song recorded without Billy Joe on vocals? I don't mean the one that is on the cast recording. I thought that there was a version of the song recorded with Matt Caplan prior to his being replaced. However, I could be wrong.

Regardless, I always viewed the 21 Guns single as more of a promo for the show and a way to showcase the new orchestrations etc.

There had been times during the course of Movin' Out for example, where Billy Joel would visit the show and get onstage and do New York State Of Mind. Now, by having Billy get on the stage of the Richard Rodgers and sing a song (granted, one that wasn't in the show) have the effect of him not letting it go and stepping back? No, it is viewed by most as a fun encore and something that the original artist did for fun.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#4BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 2:37am

It actually makes a little more sense that they did this tonight. I didn't realize that tonight was the show for the contest winners. I can understand them wanting to give those winners a little bit more to make it special.

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#5BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 9:59am

^ that makes sense. However, I agree that they should let the show stand on its own. I get that the band probably feels very tied to and protective of the material, and they're probably just excited to continue to be a part of the show, but I think a little distance between the two might be good. I also agree that recording "21 Guns" was...weird. It's not even from AMERICAN IDIOT (the album), right? I don't know too much about Green Day. And it also seems strange to me to feature the female leads in a promotional way as a draw to the show when it seems like, in the actual show, they don't get much time in the spotlight.

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#6BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 2:49pm

No, 21 Guns was not from the album American idiot. It was one of the songs that was used in the show that was from their new album 21st Century Breakdown. I do think that they used that song to record and used it at the Grammy's etc due to the fact that that was their big single. It was up for and won song of the year at the Grammy's so I feel that it was done more as a way to promote the show as well as a new way to release their hit single.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#7BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 3:48pm

I'm sure that was pretty awesome to see, but I think they need to let the show stand on its own. If I want to see Green Day in concert I'll pay for to see one of their concerts.

Absolutely! When I see A Little Night Music, I hope to GOD Sondheim doesn't come out afterward and give an impromptu performance of numbers from Company or Sweeney. Just LET IT GO, Steve!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

broadwayrocks2
#8BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 6:18pm

Kevin420 know ur facts before you chime in your neg comments . This show is standing tall on it's own . I was there last nite and it was one of the best times I've ever had as well . Why do you all love to ruin a good thread . Post under reviews will ya !!! "Do you know the enemy ? We won a contest! They were there as a thanks to fans from MTV.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#9BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 6:38pm

"I'm sure that was pretty awesome to see, but I think they need to let the show stand on its own. If I want to see Green Day in concert I'll pay for to see one of their concerts. "

What a bunch of bla ..bla... bla....

Jeff it sounds like you had a awesome experience. That is wonderful. And you will never forget it.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#10BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 6:51pm

Sounds wonderful and I'm a bit jealous (ok, more than a bit). I think its great Green Day is so protective and involved with the show. As far as I'm concerned, they can play an encore anytime they want. Particularly at the 8pm show on May 22nd. BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!

phslaxmidi102
#11BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 6:54pm

--Kevn520

The promotion of "21 Guns" was something that they decided to do more for the cast than themselves. If you watched the MTV special about American Idiot being put on Broadway, Billie Joe said something to the extent of, "while we were performing '21 Guns' every night on tour, these kids were performing it every night in Berkeley." So he decided it would be cool to get together and do a recording together.

Also, there was indeed a version recorded with Matt Caplan doing the male vocals instead of Bille Joe.

As far as your comment goes about Green Day only showcasing the females at the Grammy's...you are forgetting that it was the Grammy's. Green Day could have easily decided to do the song themselves and not include the cast at all. If it were the Tony's, I would have an issue with it. I will go on record predicting that Green Day will be involved at the Tony's somehow...my guess would be playing the instruments while the cast performs the song(s).

As a Green Day fan since 1995, and a theatre fan for about the same amount of time, I can say that I'm thrilled to see this finally happen. My two passions in life have merged and it looks absolutely amazing.
Updated On: 4/23/10 at 06:54 PM

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#12BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 7:26pm

What a great treat for Green Day fans.

I only wish Dolly would've come out and sang a few tunes after '9 to 5.'

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#13BEST THEATER EXPERIENCE EVER TONIGHT!
Posted: 4/23/10 at 7:27pm

Kevin420 know ur facts before you chime in your neg comments . This show is standing tall on it's own . I was there last nite and it was one of the best times I've ever had as well . Why do you all love to ruin a good thread . Post under reviews will ya !!! "Do you know the enemy ? We won a contest! They were there as a thanks to fans from MTV.

First off, it's Kevn520 if you want to lecture me about getting facts straight. I changed my opinion in a subsequent reply, saying that it was understandable that they were there because of the MTV contest.

Also, I didn't say that the show was not standing on its own. I'm actually looking forward to seeing this on Saturday. And seriously, if my comments "ruined" this thread, maybe BWW isn't the best place for you.