"13" set design

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#1"13" set design
Posted: 7/31/10 at 1:48pm

Right now I'm trying to create a set design for "13" and was wondering if anyone can offer some creative suggestions. I want creativity to be the key and the script is difficult because it is rather filmic and moves around locations. The most prominent is a movie theatre. Any suggestions? Maybe one big set piece can transform and help create the multiple locations?

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2'13' set design
Posted: 7/31/10 at 1:53pm

I think you should really try to make it very grounded and not over the top. For instance Archie's bedroom just consisted of a really messy desk with yoda toys and an iMac, so you don't have to make things big and unrealistic. For the movie theatre scene, the set pieces were just 2 rows of 6 movie theatre chairs and a light projection into the audience, and you can get away with using any old chairs.
(mind you this is all based on the Broadway production)

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#2'13' set design
Posted: 7/31/10 at 2:22pm

Yeah, we don't have a big budget or a lot of wingspace so we're trying to make it simple but effective as possible.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#3'13' set design
Posted: 7/31/10 at 2:27pm

Well you could make a list of a bunch of things you need and ask people in the cast to bring them in...and as for wingspace, you could double up and use the backs of one set pieces as another one?

lightguy06222
#4'13' set design
Posted: 7/31/10 at 2:45pm

build a unit set. something that stays onstage the entire show. Use a variety of levels- the show flows quickly, and the lights can help as you change from location to location, and move from a level DSL to a level USR.

Read the script, choose the most important themes and messages and emotions etc, and create a concept.

EDIT: Are you the Director? Producer? Set Designer? I hope to god you are anything but the set designer...

resorting to asking message boards because you are not creative enough on your own is a bit sad... tell them to hire someone else.

but that only goes if you are the SET DESIGNER. If you are anything else, its okay.

i know, im an @$$hole.
Updated On: 7/31/10 at 02:45 PM

wonderland01
#5'13' set design
Posted: 8/1/10 at 8:28pm

re: lightguy06222,

That was a little over the top. I'm guessing this isn't for a big-time regional performance but rather for a local show (OP, correct me if I'm wrong). I imagine this person just wants to put on a great show for a talented group of kids, and is reaching out to get some ideas to mix with his/her own creative brainstorming. Good luck, OP!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#6'13' set design
Posted: 8/1/10 at 8:36pm

I design the sets for my school productions. We have no wing space whatsoever. What I would do is just design a unit set. Then you can paint a back drop with some buildings/skyline on it. Then just have some simple props to represent the numerous locations that can easily be carried on and off stage.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

AEA AGMA SM
#7'13' set design
Posted: 8/1/10 at 10:13pm

"resorting to asking message boards because you are not creative enough on your own is a bit sad... tell them to hire someone else.

but that only goes if you are the SET DESIGNER. If you are anything else, its okay."

I'm just curious as to how you would think it's acceptable for a director or producer to ask for advice from a message board, but not for a designer?

lightguy06222
#8'13' set design
Posted: 8/2/10 at 2:38pm

AEA- I guess I didn't think about it that way. You're right.

Wonderland- I already admitted to being an asshole.

bwaybri2
#9'13' set design
Posted: 8/5/10 at 11:27am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csq0qcKHTps&feature=player_embedded

We are in the middle of our run of "13". Our TD built a unit set. The above video shows some of the elements. The lockers slide out, the bed pulls out, the bball hoop spins around, sink/tampon/urinal push out. The DQ picnic table and locker room benches are carried out. The porch/house is wheeled on.

Also we had a film major develop facebook transitions. PM for details.

Best of Luck -

aces25 Profile Photo
aces25
#10'13' set design
Posted: 8/6/10 at 10:41pm

Thanks for your help! Yeah, we are trying to develop something simple but functional. Just because its low budget doesn't mean it can't be creative and effective!

zunit1234 Profile Photo
zunit1234
#11'13' set design
Posted: 8/7/10 at 12:57am

bwaybri2, that set looked very effective, and the bit of facebook at the end (during the bows) looked really cool! The facebook transitions sound fascinating and very smart.

Witty signature to come.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#12'13' set design
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:10am

Those Facebook transitions are great! What a good and creative idea. Looks like a fun production!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos