Angels in America

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#1Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:45pm

Wow. Saw both parts yesterday and it is a magnificent and rich production. The seven plus hours flew by, and I came home and snatched up single tickets to do it again in February.

The cast is strong. Christian Borle and Zachary Quinto ... hell, everyone in the show ... lends dimension and texture to their characters that are accessible in so many different ways.

I haven't seen a stage production before, just the movie, but although it was set at a specific point in time, it was still about today. And not just about AIDS, but about relationships, and loyalty, and change, and healing.

Bravo!

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

Yankeefan007
#2Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 7:51pm

I look forward to seeing PERESTROIKA this coming weekend. MILLENNIUM APPROACHES didn't really thrill me; found the casting to be a bit uneven. (That could also be due to the fond memories of the production of MA that I worked on a few years ago).

stee Profile Photo
stee
#2Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 8:06pm

I bought a pair of tickets for both parts in January, but now can't go. Boo!

I'm selling them at cost if anyone wants to take'em off my hands. Msg me!

Angels in America Part 1 Friday January 21, 2011 7:30pm
(2) Online Full Section Main Floor Right $85.00/each $170.00

Angels in America Part 2 Saturday January 22, 2011 8pm
(2) Online Full Section Main Floor Left $85.00/each $170.00

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#3Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 8:14pm

This sounds wonderful.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:13pm

I'm so glad it still delivers.

iflitifloat
#5Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 9:41pm

It's really something, PJ.

Gothampc
#6Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:00pm

I've always thought this play was flawed. Part 1 really builds to an interesting climax. Part 2 seems to wander around and not be as interesting as Part 1. I've always found the mother in the visitor's center to drag down Part 2.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Kevn520 Profile Photo
Kevn520
#7Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:00pm

Is the current cast contracted through the end of the run in February?

iflitifloat
#8Angels in America
Posted: 10/10/10 at 10:40pm

That's the thing. I'm not sure if it's been tightened up or whether it's THIS direction, but Part II seemed clear to me. I didn't feel like it wandered around at all...the Visitor Center didn't seem all that long. Things seemed relatively clear and meshed together pretty coherently.

Holbee
#9Angels in America
Posted: 10/11/10 at 12:00pm

The play is so strong, the dialogue so intellectual and legitimately funny...its hard to really screw this show up, even when the direction is a little messy (the set in the Signature production is very cluttered as well). What a good production of Angels comes down to now (especially after the amazing casting of the HBO movie) is the acting. That can make or break a production of this show. On almost all counts the Sig production scores. Billy Porter isn't very good and Zoe (who I usually love) is a little whiny and a little too-young-looking as Harper). The rest of the cast (especially Quinto) is as good a cast as one could hope for. For barely having a "straight" play credit on his resume, Christian is marvelous. As good as any Prior I have ever seen. Frank Wood actually manages to underplay Roy and is fantastic (has it been noted yet how scarily he looks like the real Roy Cohn?) Robin B is perfection (some may argue a little too Streep-like in her delivery) and Robin W is WAY better than the original Angel and/or Emma Thompson in the film. Bill Heck is the most "Ken Doll"-ish Joe ever. If someone can be "blandly" gorgeous, he's exactly that--which is perfect for the character). And such depth. I have a feeling he won't get all the reviews he should, but his Joe is very raw and innocent. I know Kushner thinks of Joe as the "villain" of the piece, writing those horrible decisions, but besides that (and beating Louis) he really didn't write him that way. And Bill does such a good job at making Joe sympathetic. Plus, he and Quinto are so hot together in their erotic scenes... I loved this cast and hope they get the credit they deserve come review time.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#10Angels in America
Posted: 10/11/10 at 11:01pm

I've been meaning to see this one. It was mentioned that Zoe Kazan is a bit young for Harper. How old is she? Harper's only supposed to be around 30/32. To me, though, nobody is ever going to be able to top Mary-Louise Parker's performance.

I don't see Joe as the villain. At his worst he's a self-loathing enabler, and at his best he's just very, very confused. I think if there is a villain it's Roy. And don't make me tell you what I think of Louis. Angels in America

I know you. I know you. I know you.
Updated On: 10/11/10 at 11:01 PM

Holbee
#11Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 12:24am

Well, that's what I mean. Louis is apparently forgiven. Joe gets no moment of redemption, no final monologue.

FindingNamo
#12Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 12:30am

"nobody is ever going to be able to top Mary-Louise Parker's performance"

I saw Marcia Gay Harden, Cynthia Nixon and Susan Bruce do much better than that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:30am

Kushner's treatment of Joe (ie- no apparent redemption. Even Roy, in the optional monologue, gets to continue on the way he likes after death) is a point of contention for some.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Holbee
#14Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 4:16am

I've heard the best Harper ever was Deborah Messing...

FindingNamo
#15Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 10:09am

Ugh. I can imagine what she was like, trying to suppress the smirks before the laugh lines. That's one I'm glad I missed.

Holbee
#16Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 12:12pm

Yes, I'm sure she played Harper exactly like she played Grace. The characters are so similar and she ISN'T an NYU Graduate Theatre Program alum and has no other acting style but sitcom. Oh, sorry. She IS and DOES.

FindingNamo
#17Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:03pm

It's just that I've seen the smirk in everything I've ever seen her in. Maybe it's just a fun affectation she picked up AFTER NYU. Maybe her Harper was divinity itself. Maybe after that she said to herself, "If I'm gonna make it big I'm gonna need a signature move like George Clooney's head bob."

Gothampc
#18Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:24pm

Marcia Gay Harden was light years ahead of Mary-Louise Parker. She was what every other Harper (including Harper Lee) wished that they could be. MLP always comes across too whiney for my liking.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

FindingNamo
#19Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:34pm

Harper Lee. Good one!

GlindatheGood22
#20Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:39pm

See, that's why I liked MLP. I never saw Marcia Gay Harden, but I always thought of Harper as a whiney, annoying character.

Updated On: 10/12/10 at 01:39 PM

Gothampc
#21Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 1:59pm

"See, that's why I liked MLP. I never saw Marcia Gay Harden, but I always thought of Harper as a whiney, annoying character."

Not when she's played correctly. She's not Betty Draper.

Harper is a woman who didn't quite become grounded in life. She married a handsome, but cold, career driven man. She can't quite cope with all that her life demands of her and so she begins to drift.

GlindatheGood22
#22Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 2:23pm

I see your point. She's got Linda Loman syndrome - husband can't cope so it starts affecting the wife.

Gothampc
#23Angels in America
Posted: 10/12/10 at 2:52pm

Also, Harper doesn't have anything to stabilize her. She has no children, she doesn't like living in the city, she doesn't know how to make friends in the city. She's out of her element.

Broadway Doctor Profile Photo
Broadway Doctor
#24Angels in America
Posted: 10/28/10 at 12:06pm

In honor of opening night, The Doc finally does Angels in America.
What's Wrong with Angels in America

Trust Me, I'm a Doctor.

Videos