Costumes for Guys and Dolls

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#1Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/19/10 at 3:21am

I have been asked to sort the costumes for a local production of Guys and Dolls. The director is setting it in a comic book theme (the brief he has given me is Dick Tracy).

I like the idea of that but how will I do the Save-a-Soul Mission uniforms?

Any ideas would be appreciated, I have creative block on this one!!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/19/10 at 5:23am

Angles of the lapels will give them an exagerated look.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/19/10 at 9:24am

^Great idea! And an exaggerated flare to the pant legs and skirts.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

lizamay
#3Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/19/10 at 11:09am

I would mostly use primary colors - red, yellow, blue...

If you want an added touch, you should outline all clothing with black bias tape - or for an easier approach, outline everything using a thick sharpie marker. This will give it that "drawn" or cartoon look.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#4Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/19/10 at 1:11pm

This may be tricky with such typically unadorned uniforms, but basically distill the real-world design to only its necessities or most notable features.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Out In The Sticks Profile Photo
Out In The Sticks
#5Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:23am

Thank you everyone, much appreciated.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:30am

OH...I forgot one more thing:

You could put black edging (not sure if this is the right name for it) around all the edges (hems, sleeves, lapels, etc.) to "show" that everything was "drawn".

We did this for a produciton of Charlie Brown back in the day, and it was visually pretty effective.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#7Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:11pm

I designed GaD along these lines some years ago. The Save-a-Soul costumes dont need to be taken to the comic extreme; that'll just undercut the concept. Keep them in simple, basic colours, with maybe a bit of red edging to the tab collars and hats, and you'll be fine.

http://docandraider.com

AEA AGMA SM
#8Costumes for Guys and Dolls
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:16pm

If you do go with some sort of black bias tape/edging, I would advise you to be careful to not go too heavy on it, and to keep the lines a bit on the thinner side. If it gets too thick you run the risk of going from a comic book style into looking more like they stepped out of a coloring book.

Videos