News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance

Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 10:30pm

Is Chad Kimball ever in MEMPHIS?

I pass the Shubert fairly regularly in the evening, and I haven't seen the board in the lobby without an understudy listed for him in weeks.

If he's out as frequently as he seems to be, I'm surprised it's never been discussed here before.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 10:34pm

It's definitely been discussed here at some point. I remember the threads.

Leia947
#2Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 10:35pm

Apparently, he damaged his shoulder pretty badly, and this past week he's been on vocal rest because his voice is shredded.

"And I'm a grown up....I don't go on vacations....I go to Broadway." - dramamama611

"Even I think that's hot, and I'm a straight guy. If I ever become gay he is the reason." - Drunk Chita Rivera on Gavin Creel

"Leia947 is my theatre mamma, and I love her for it." - AndAllThatJazz22

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#4Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 10:38pm

Thanks, wdwfreak.

I guess this a consistent problem.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#5Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 10:49pm

Saw the show this past Wed. (matinee) and he was in. Although I did hear he was out of the evening show. I think he was in only because it was the 500th show. His voice was strained throughout the entire show, although I thought his acting was pretty good. I thought he would be in for the evening because he did not come out of the stage door and we were told he was having a meeting on stage.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#6Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 11:00pm

Maybe they fired him... No disrespect to him in any means, but I highly doubt he can do this show for another 10 months or so. His voice has been shot way before he extended for another year. They should give the role to someone who can handle it 8 shows a week.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#7Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 11:20pm

Paging Mr. WaymanWong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

classicalprose Profile Photo
classicalprose
#8Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/2/11 at 11:36pm

He hasn't been fired. According to Chad himself his voice can't handle 8 shows a week and he was told to only do a certain number a week by doctors. This was over the summer so it may have changed since then. His attendance, save the past few days, has been better than it was the past few months. I saw the Wednesday matinee as well and he was straining at times but, to me, he sounded better than he has since the beginning of the year, to be honest. I think he's figuring out how to sing the score so it doesn't kill his voice (more than it probably already has). I really hope he figures it out cause he's fantastic. I've seen Bryan as well but Chad really is Huey in every aspect.

broadwaylover6
#9Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 12:10am

Chad has a pretty serious shoulder injury that he has been working through the past couple of months. ClassicalProse is correct he has been experiencing some vocal strain, hopefully he will do what he has to do to get himself healthy. I too have seen Bryan do the role and while he does a fine job, he doesn't bring the same passion to the role that Chad does. Chad is Huey, it is his role, and I hope he can continue to do it for as long he likes and is able. I wish him a speedy recovery.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#10Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 8:16am

This isn't the first time he's had a significant vocal problem that has prohibited him from performing. He missed many performances of LENNON.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#11Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 8:38am

He was in when I saw the show earlier in the fall, but frankly I'd rather have seen Bryan. I might have liked the Huey character better.

broadwaylover6
#12Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 11:03am

ahh, but you are not supposed to like Huey...the Huey character is very atypical for a Broadway lead, he doesn't save the day, he doesn't get the girl...he is an unlikeable and likeable at the same time, he is annoying, he is endearing and yet dense...selfish and yet very giving ....the character is very ying yang...and Bryan plays he part very much like Chad except a bit younger and brighter, but I do not find his portrayal of the character more likeable. He doesn't have the same chemistry with Montego, it is virtually non-existent in my opinion.

justafan2
#13Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 11:34am

broadwaylover6, you defined the character of Huey perfectly! I was lucky enough to see Chad each time I've seen the show and he is that character---very good performances. Even if his voice isn't perfect---his entire presence is a wonderful portrayal.

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#14Chad Kimball and MEMPHIS Attendance
Posted: 1/3/11 at 9:54pm

Hock-a-doo,
Where are you?

Videos