New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD

holden Profile Photo
holden
#1New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/15/11 at 10:49pm

I'm getting very impatient to get my hands on the Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD. Has anyone here heard it yet?

I found the Vienna Teng version of Say the Word that someone put online on Wednesday - and it's great! - but I am very eager to hear moreNew Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD

HummingAlong
#2New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/15/11 at 11:18pm

Just got mine in the mail today from backing them on their Kickstarter campaign! Sounds great - I especially love the Spring Standards on Run Away With Me and Laura Osnes/Meghann Fahy singing My Heart is Split. Awesome.

Hope you get your hands on one soon!

holden Profile Photo
holden
#2New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/16/11 at 11:58am

Thanks, HummingAlong! That sounds very exciting.

I hope that mine turns up in the mail in the next few days.

Mezz
#3New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/16/11 at 7:09pm

Just got it in the mail today. It's fantastic. I especially love Natalie Weiss's How to Return Home and Morgan Karr, Matt Doyle, and Jay A. Johnson's Two Strangers.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#4New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 10:59am

I have heard good things about this team and would like to give them a shot, but I have a short attention span when listening to demos and recordings of a singer and a piano. So if I were to go to their website and listen to something, what song or songs would be my best introduction to their work?

DeNada
#5New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 11:23am

I would say that their "big" song is Run Away With Me - their website links to a Youtube recording of Michael Arden singing the song live (he also records it for the album), and I think there's also an audio recording of Josh Young singing it. Really great song.

Otherwise... take your pick. I really like Kerrigan and Lowdermilk - and not only are they good songwriters (I presume the books to their shows are good too!) they're very net-savvy marketers and promoters, much better at promoting themselves than many of their contemporaries IMO. I hope the CD gets an international iTunes release tomorrow!

HummingAlong
#6New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 1:02pm

Their big thing, it seems to me, is blending pop music with more traditional musical theatre music.

For a sound that leans more toward mainstream, try Vienna Teng's take on Say The Word. To me, this is like Sarah McLaughlin meets Taylor Swift. Sounds like a weird combo, but works beautifully in my opinion. Although in this incarnation, it's not something I could imagine in a theatre, only in a cabaret venue. But if you listen to the same cut with Meghann Fahy on the Sam Brown Demo, you'll probably be able to see how it works for MT as well.

For a more musical-theatre-y sound, try Michael Arden's cut, Run Away With Me. It practically stages itself, I think.

For what I think is the perfect blend of pop and musical theatre, listen to Katie Thompson's Five and a Half Minutes. The sound is just new enough, but I could still totally see this in a theatre.

iluvtheatertrash
#7New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 4:44pm

Where did you hear the Vienna track? I'm a big fan of hers. Thanks!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

HummingAlong
#8New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 5:04pm

It's on their new CD "Our First Mistake." It's the first cut.

SporkGoddess
#9New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 5:27pm

My favorite song of theirs is probably "Freedom." As for the new CD, where can you get it? I couldn't find it on their website.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 1/17/11 at 05:27 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 5:28pm

I can't wait for this. It'll be great to finally have a studio version of Matt Doyle singing "Last Week's Alcohol".

HummingAlong
#11New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 5:36pm

Yes, CATS, and you'll get an entire 8:17 of the wonder Matt Doyle singing LWA for you. Luscious.

Spork - You can pre-order through Sh-K-Boom/Ghostlight records, I think...Otherwise it comes out tomorrow, the 18th of Jan.

Inigomontoya
#12New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 6:09pm

Anyone who backed their project and lives outside of the U.S got their CD by any chance?

I'm dying to get mine...

HummingAlong
#13New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 6:23pm

sorry, i'm in the big city...their crew could have walked my cd over, for all i know...good luck!

Dad'sOldRecords
#14New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 6:26pm

You should be able to order the CD through Sh-K-Boom: http://www.sh-k-boom.com/ourfirstmistake.shtml. As an introduction, I would definitely check out "Two Strangers," sung on the CD by Morgan Karr, Matt Doyle, and Jay A. Johnson. I feel like they fuse pop and musical theatre in such a sophisticated way and that song is such a cool example. At their "Under the Influence" concert, they talked about how it was influenced by Imogen Heap, and when you hear what they do with sound and the different voices, it's really powerful stuff.

If you like Vienna Teng, there's also a great video of her and Kait Kerrigan singing "My Heart is Split": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NaFcmu0KiI

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#15New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/17/11 at 6:41pm

Anyone who backed their project and lives outside of the U.S got their CD by any chance?

I'm dying to get mine...

I backed it too and live in the U.S. & haven't got mine. Better be here tomorrow when mail resumes!

quackaquacka
#16New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:09am

I backed it and I'm in England; it got here today! Hope yours arrives soon :)
Updated On: 1/18/11 at 11:09 AM

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#17New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/18/11 at 4:52pm

I plan on buying the actual CD, but excitement got the better of me and I downloaded two tracks this morning. I got "How to Return Home" and "Last Week's Alcohol" and I'm loving them both. Can't wait to hear more!

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#18New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/18/11 at 5:34pm

I backed it and haven't gotten it either but I had to cave and buy "Five and a Half Minutes". BRILLIANT song but also BRILLIANTLY recorded by the amazing Katie Thompson <3 love it and can't wait to listen to the rest!

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#19New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/18/11 at 7:52pm

I downloaded it and I'm listening to it right now. I have only heard a few of there songs and I wasn't really blown away at the time, but this album is really great so far. The recording quality is very clear. The songs are a perfect mix of pop and contemporary musical theatre. The performances have a great deal of passion intermixed with the already passionate songs. I am really enjoying it a lot.

HummingAlong
#20New Kerrigan and Lowdermilk CD
Posted: 1/18/11 at 8:25pm

Did anyone who received their CD also receive their backer reward?? I'm about to offer my help...it's been what, 5 months?!

Videos