News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Bring it On first preview blog...

Bring it On first preview blog...

BroadwayBen
#1Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/17/11 at 4:17pm

If I'm reading this correctly, she was at the first preview. Do they allow bloggers in previews in Atlanta?

http://www.examiner.com/culture-events-in-atlanta/bring-it-on-has-brought-it-then-some-review

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/17/11 at 4:19pm

If she bought her ticket...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BroadwayBen
#2Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/17/11 at 5:36pm

I wonder what Glenn Beck will say....:)

klacombe@uoguelph.ca Profile Photo
klacombe@uoguelph.ca
#3Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/17/11 at 7:16pm

I really want to see this. Sounds like it's going to be good!

BroadwayBen
#4Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/18/11 at 8:37am

Is there a plan for this show after Atlanta?

rmusic11322
#5Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/18/11 at 8:57am

^ They want to do a national tour and eventually go to New York.

Baileyboo
#6Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/18/11 at 10:40pm

Hope they do this well. I enjoyed the movie very much.

BroadwayBen
#7Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/18/11 at 11:58pm

I don't think its an adaptation of the first movie. It sounds like they have created a new story.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/19/11 at 12:01am

I wonder what Glenn Beck will say....:)

Well I am sure he could find some Conservative undertones :)

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#9Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/19/11 at 5:27pm

I'm going to see it Sunday...4th row center. Will share my thoughts....

Clint. Atlanta,GA

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#10Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/19/11 at 7:01pm

This show intrigues me. Is there any news on what it has been like? I live nowhere near Atlanta.

kidbroadway2
#12Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/23/11 at 10:45pm

bump... love more comments on it.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#13Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/23/11 at 11:14pm

Okay...I just got home from seeing the show.

It was a fun night out but I was hoping to like the show more. I saw pre-broadway runs @ Alliance of Aida, Color Purple, Sister Act, etc., and kind of expected the same kind of energy after the show.

The first act was very slow, and only picked up when the "urban" school was introduced. There is a lot of talent in the cast.

Instead of props or evolving backdrops, the show uses video screens to create the atmosphere of the scene. I found this very distracting.

I'm not much of a writer here, but I do love good theatre and just wasn't thrilled this time. It's probably just me.

Ryann Redmond (Bridget) was hilarious and reminded me a bit of Marissa Jaret Winokur. Nick Blaemire (Randall) was great in his hip hop geekster role.

I'll answer any questions if you like.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

rmusic11322
#14Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/23/11 at 11:19pm

^ I know Jon Rua is in the show as Twig. How was he? His character is a dancing nerd, right?

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#15Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/23/11 at 11:37pm

Jon was really good, if he is who I think he "was".

Clint. Atlanta,GA

wicked4l
#16Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 12:54am

How was the music? and story? I was expecting a great score with Lin behind it!

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#17Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 7:23am

There were some stand out songs, most forgettable. The main problem was with the book, imo. The first 3/4 of the first act lagged and something did not work.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#18Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 12:30pm

Instead of props or evolving backdrops, the show uses video screens to create the atmosphere of the scene.

A trend that is getting overused. I'm getting a bit tired of the video screens.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Wildcard
#19Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 6:45pm

I think the video screens work well in this case. I actually think there's not enough of them (or additional scenery) to fill up the stage. Then again, the performers fill up the stage without resorting to wires and is an amazing feat in itself. Also, people have to remember that this is a work in progress and is still a year or more before NY would even see it. Given that, it has a good storyline, great characters and fun modern songs. Hopefully it will be molded into an amazing show after this try-out.

jdtp12
#20Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 7:38pm

Is this being used as an out of town tryout? I remember Lin saying that this show wasn't planning on coming to broadway.

boydowncenter2
#21Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 10:38pm

I hope it gets better, it's one that I've really been excited about.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#22Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/24/11 at 11:00pm

I think their goal is to take it on the road...

Clint. Atlanta,GA

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#23Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:52am

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!!!!

I saw the show the 2nd preview and it was fun. The music still needs some work, but it seems to be ballad heavy right now. The upbeat songs tend to be more "In The Heights" sounding than "N2N" The dancing is very "In the Heights" to me and it is only fitting since the creative team has a lot of ITH people. I did not like the female lead as her voice couldn't handle the score and it was screechy at times. Helene Yorke is injured and out for now and her understudy, Amanda Lea Lavergne moved up, but she just doesn't have it in my opinion. Gregory Haney is a trip as are Ryann Redmond, Jon Rua, and Adrianne Warren. I loved the set and the screens and thought it helped a lot with telling the story and allowing for scene changes to work better. The dancing was good, but not as energized as I thought it would be. I know the theme is cheer, and the stunts were cool, but I wanted a little more dance especially since the story is more original than a retelling of the movies. They incorporate an urban dance crew rather than another cheer squad, but we hardly see them perform as this great crew. Overall, it is fun and tweens will eat it up! Adults may or may not enjoy it, but I went in thinking one thing and came out thinking something different. I guess I had my own pre conceived notions about the show and what I expected. I do hope they tour first as it will help fine tune things and get it ready for a fun Broadway run.

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

shomeika Profile Photo
shomeika
#24Bring it On first preview blog...
Posted: 1/25/11 at 1:54pm

I meant to mention in my first response, that Adrienne Warren (Danielle), was to me the standout. She had "the shine". I knew she looked familiar, and now see she was in the tour of Dreamgirls.

Clint. Atlanta,GA

Videos