For Those Near Kansas City

#1For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/5/11 at 5:58am

(Disclaimer: yes, this is some self-promotion. I thought some of you may find it of interest, though.)

Wanted to share some exciting news with board members who might be within traveling distance of Kansas City. My company has just announced our 2011-12 season, and we couldn't be more excited with the lineup, which is filled with regional premieres. We try to produce material that offers unique theatre experiences for our audiences.

The article is a bit long, so if you're in a hurry you can get the jist of it at www.PianeProductions.com.

(*end self-promotion*)

Piane Productions To Premiere DRIFT, CORAM BOY, KITTY'S KISSES & More Updated On: 2/5/11 at 05:58 AM

jim Profile Photo
jim
#2For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 2:48pm

Can't wait. Kansas City is really a very active theatre town.

mpd4165
#2For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 4:03pm

Exciting season! And I'm glad Music Hall is getting used still even with the Kauffman Center opening.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#3For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 7:22pm

Wow! I am in Kansas City and am thrilled to see this lineup of shows -- exactly the kind of theater I want to see.

I have great season tickets to Broadway Across America but am giving them up -- I think these shows will replace them!

jim Profile Photo
jim
#4For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 8:03pm

I am so disappointed in BAA. This season's offerings are awful.
And looks like Mark Edelman's Theater League is back in the mix which means even more non-equity tours. But I hate to give up my seats. The show I am really looking forward to is CABARET at Kansas City Rep. I hope Eric Rosen puts his own spin on it and doesn't try to copy the Mendes version.

jim Profile Photo
jim
#5For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 8:04pm

Metropolitan Ensemble Theatre always comes up with some interesting shows each season. Have you been to the Living Room?
BLACKBIRD is getting great word of mouth.

Shubert Alley Cat Profile Photo
Shubert Alley Cat
#6For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 8:42pm

Yes, after the first two seasons, BAA has been a huge disappointment. Theater League's return was the absolute last straw for me -- I hate them and their non-eq crap. Let me continue my rant.

The main reason I kept my BAA seats is because they are great and the music hall orchestra level has poor sightlines, IMO. But now that some of the shows are at Kaufmann, I'm not worried about getting an individual seat there. Here is my take on what's upcoming with BAA:

Blue Man Group -- are you freakin' kidding me? Been there, done that before, and it is NOT Broadway.
Jersey Boys -- 'bout time, but I've seen it before, and am going to see it again this summer in Vegas.
Mandy & Patti -- am excited to see this, but will just get gen public tix when the time comes.
Million Dollar Quartet -- Yawn
Next to Normal -- was thrilled about this until I saw their advertising artwork and that it is not til June 2012. This will not be the first-run equity tour.
I go to NYC about every summer and have just decided to see the latest Broadway stuff ON Broadway -- a much better bang for my buck than what BAA is giving me. And what makes it worse, St. Louis, Des Moines, and even Omaha are getting the first-run tours before us. OK, rant done!

Starlight is pretty insignificant this summer, too.

I am looking forward to Cabaret and will definitely be there. I read the rave of Blackbird in the Star, but don't think I'll make it unfortunately as I am super busy with work this month, including weekends. UGH!

jim Profile Photo
jim
#7For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/6/11 at 10:19pm

I know what you mean. I have season tickets for both BAA and Starlight but I am not happy with the selections.I have a friend who will be directing one of the shows so I will definitely see that one. I usually end up giving my tickets away but I don't want to give up my seats. Finally got locations at both venues that are great and I am excited about the Kauffman.
I was suppose to be in NY this past week but could not get out due to the weather. Plan to go in April when there are a few more shows that interest me.
Have you ever gone to Music Theatre of Wichita for any of their summer shows? Amazing productions.... the way Starlight use to be. Love Wayne Bryan and his theatre there!

#8For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 12:53am

Glad to hear the enthusiasm from you folks. I won't comment on other organizations, but we feel strongly about producing material that we want to see. Hopefully, audiences will be interested in the same.

I will add that I'm a fan of the KC Rep work since Eric Rosen has taken the helm. I share your opinions regarding Cabaret, Jim. (Incidentally, I suspect our paths have crossed - at least via email...)

Thanks again! We have big plans for works at these larger venues. It's such a great thing that KC has a healthy, vibrant theatre community.

jim Profile Photo
jim
#9For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 12:43pm

I do remember you IDirectMusicals! Gosh, it's been awhile hasn't it?

husk_charmer
#10For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 1:15pm

Starlight made a huge mistake by hiring Denton Yockey. Good luck with ever having a good season with him there.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

jim Profile Photo
jim
#11For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 2:56pm

Yes, they picked the wrong man.

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#12For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 3:31pm

Wow! Am from KC as well and can't believe I haven't seen any press about your company. We gave up on BAA because the selections have been so pedestrian and non-equity crap they bring here for equity prices is usually lousy. Can't wait for your productions to begin.

brdlwyr
#13For Those Near Kansas City
Posted: 2/7/11 at 3:45pm

I love Kansas City, but rarely get there!

Good luck with your season!

Videos