pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 44

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1075Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 12:15pm

Gordon, Marroquin & Roz Ryan are scheduled to leave next Sunday & no replacements have been announced. We know AFW isn't returning right away, so I wonder who's coming in?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1076Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 2:34pm

Melissa Rae Mahon is listed in the cast credits.  Does this mean she's back?   Awesome!  This is your chance to see Lana Gordon as Velma Kelly.....a rare treat.  http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/chicago-summerstage-central-park-performance_78194.html

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1077Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 7:29pm

Is there any known footage out there of Marilu Henners stint?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1078Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 8:55pm

Yes Melissa is back filling in for Donna. 

Theres Marilu w the cast doing "wbrftg" on the Macy's parade on YouTube, it also features Jeff L as Mary Sunshine 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1079Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/28/16 at 9:05pm

Bradshaw, has Melissa Rae Mahon ever played "Velma"?  She seems perfect for the role.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1080Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/29/16 at 12:00am

I'm curious what makes you say Melissa is perfect for Velma?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1081Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/29/16 at 5:24am

I usually think of Velmas as tall and slender.  She would qualify on both counts. Also, M.R.M. has been a dance captain, so she knows what is necessary to play Velma.  She's so talented on so many fronts, that it would be a treat for fans of the show to see her play Roxie's partner.  After all, Bebe and Ruthie Henshall have done it, perhaps she can  have the chance to do it too.  As to my original question.....

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1082Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:40pm

A) no. 

B) add Donna to the list, she's been Roxie, Velma, Mama and June. Amy Spanger also covered Velma but never went on. 

C) IMO the best leggy - and one of the best in general - Velma was Ute. 

D) Nicole Bridgewater also has been Roxie, Velma, Mama and Liz. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1083Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/30/16 at 10:43pm

@JBradshaw, any idea who the next Velma & Roxie are?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1084Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/30/16 at 11:39pm

Well, Terra C will not be Velma (at least for a while).   She will be "Morticia Addams" in a San Diego production of "Addams Family."  https://www.broadwayworld.com/san-diego/article/THE-ADDAMS-FAMILY-to-Close-Out-Moonlight-Stages-Summer-Season-20160728

Updated On: 8/30/16 at 11:39 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1085Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/30/16 at 11:41pm

Awful show, but Terra will be a great Morticia. 

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1086Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/30/16 at 11:49pm

Here is a  video clip of Bianca Marroquin performing "Me and My Baby" in Spanish and English.  The Central Park show is tomorrow, on August 31, 2016.  http://www.theatermania.com/video/chicago-gets-ready-to-celebrate-20-years-on-broadw_1090.html

dres40
#1087Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/31/16 at 12:59am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Here is a  video clip of Bianca Marroquin performing "Me and My Baby" in Spanish and English.  The Central Park show is tomorrow, on August 31, 2016.  http://www.theatermania.com/video/chicago-gets-ready-to-celebrate-20-years-on-broadw_1090.html

"

Thanks so much for posting this! My daughter is one of the Camp Broadway Kids and I see her in this clip. So looking forward to the show in Central Park!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1088Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/31/16 at 6:23pm

Dylis Croman will be "Roxie" from Sept.3-- Sept. 18th, 2016.  No word yet on Velma.   https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Chicago/Overview

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1089Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/31/16 at 7:10pm

also, Natasha Yvette Williams returns as Mama through January 15, 2017. Still hoping for Carly Hughes to return as Velma or someone new.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1090Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 6:28am

Just hit :34 on "Gun" note @ChicagoMusical! 2 more and I break my record. All thanks to Gwen Verdon vid going round. "Don't work too hard." (Jason Danieley tweet)

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#1091Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 9:22am

Hello Chicago Fans! I will be in the city from Nov 12- Dec 20. It will be my first time in NYC. I am keen to see Chicago but am aware that many say it is a tired show and not worth seeing. I love the music and hear the orchestra still sounds amazing. If I were to rush the show would you think it's worth it?

Also does anyone know who the principals would be at that time? Any advice on whether they're any good? Thank you.

somechrysanthemumtea
#1092Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 9:22am

Double post - sorry I'm on my phone!

Updated On: 9/5/16 at 09:22 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1093Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 1:53pm

Yes, it is very worth it to see "Chicago."  Some people view it differently, but I'm a believer in making up my own mind.  It is a sassy and sultry show.  There is top notch singing and dancing.  Ryan Lowe will be Mary Sunshine.  He's a long term M.S.  His contract runs thru March 2017.  As far as the other principals (Roxie, Velma, Amos and Mama), it is too early to know who they might be.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1094Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 7:09pm

Any idea who's starting as Velma tonight?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1095Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/5/16 at 11:04pm

Lana Gordon.  She'll continue to be Velma until October 11th.  AFW will surely return shortly thereafter.

Updated On: 9/5/16 at 11:04 PM

somechrysanthemumtea
#1096Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/16 at 8:27am

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Yes, it is very worth it to see "Chicago."  Some people view it differently, but I'm a believer in making up my own mind.  It is a sassy and sultry show.  There is top notch singing and dancing.  Ryan Lowe will be Mary Sunshine.  He's a long term M.S.  His contract runs thru March 2017.  As far as the other principals (Roxie, Velma, Amos and Mama), it is too early to know who they might be.  

"

Thanks Fanatic! I've always loved & admired your dedication to the show, and am very excited to see it.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1097Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/16 at 7:08pm

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1098Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/16 at 7:10pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "Lana Gordon.  She'll continue to be Velma until October 11th.  AFW will surely return shortly thereafter.

"

Happy to hear that & good for her!

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1099Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/16 at 7:29pm

According to Telecharge:  

Dylis Croman as Roxie (thru 9/18)
Lana Gordon as Velma Kelly (thru 10/11)
Jason Danieley as Billy Flynn (thru 9/18)
Raymond Bokhour as Amos Hart (thru 10/30)
NaTasha Yvette Williams as Matron "Mama" Morton (thru 1/15)
R. Lowe as Mary Sunshine (thru 3/26)

With regards to the next Roxie, I have a feeling it might be Amy Spanger.  For Billy Flynn:  Tony Yazbek or Ryan Silverman.   It  would be awfully nice if Tony Y. could be Billy Flynn, so he could work together with his A Chorus Line co-star Chryssie Whitehead (currently Go-To-Hell-Kitty and Roxie/Velma u/s).