pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 62

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1525Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 3:21pm

I'm curious who  has been conducting the band lately.  I know that Robert Billig was the conductor during the most recent tour.  I had a brief chat with him.  He seemed real nice and down to earth.  The Playbill vault lists long time veteran Sharon Moore, Donna Marie Asbury and Naomi C. Walley (also Velma u/s).  as Mama understudies.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1526Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 7:01pm

That's actually an error by Playbill Vault. Moore only covers for Mama when one of the two covers is on vacation. Moore covered Mama and Velma back in the day and when she was on tour.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 8/4/18 at 07:01 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1527Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/4/18 at 9:06pm

I remember Nicole Bridgewater used to cover for Mama, but she's not part of the cast anymore.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Roland von Berlin
#1528Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/5/18 at 3:10am

The book takes a while to get to the musical, because it starts with the city and then the twenties as a decade. Then there's the Chicago play and the two movies.

But once it reaches the musical, it really gets into it--the writing, the backstage, Fosse's anger, Verdon's last hurrah on Broadway. There's an analysis of the show that moves from scene to scene and song to song that sort of recreates it for you, explaining all the underpinnings, character motivations, Fisse staging tricks, etc.

The author's style is quirky and often funny, very unlike the other writers in this field. Very opinionated and spirited. Some readers find him too sophisticated. He breaks rules.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1529Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/10/18 at 6:23pm

No word who is Velma starting Monday? Unless Terra is just on vacation this week. As long as it's not AFW. And I'm surprised AEA has let them go this long without a Mary Sunshine u/s or standby.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1530Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/10/18 at 8:02pm

I've noticed in the Chicago / Playbill Vault that Denny Paschall (who recently returned) has been promoted as a Billy Flynn understudy.  He's also an Amos Hart u/s.  Now, the show has three Billy Flynn understudies (along with Jason Patrick Sands and Brian O Brien).  Something is screwy with Telecharge.  I've tried to see it, but no luck. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1531Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/10/18 at 9:38pm

Sands & O'Brien were both recently on vacation. Paschall may have been added as a Billy u/s just for their vacation weeks. Eddie Bennett has been added as a vacation swing back in July during Sands & O'Brien's vacations and anyone else with a scheduled vacation coming up.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1532Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/11/18 at 10:53pm

"Chicago" is launching a Paris, France production from Sept. 18, 2018 -- Jan. 31, 2019.  Ann Reinking and Dylis Croman are currently in the French capital to get the cast ready for the show.   Tres magnifique!  http://www.chicagolemusical.com/en/

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1533Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 3:07am

May I add. Sharon not only understudied Velma and Mama but she also performed both roles a bunch of times. 

God i would of loved seeing some Sharon/Velma

ACL2006 said: "That's actually an error by PlaybillVault. Moore only covers for Mama when one of the two covers is on vacation. Moore covered Mama and Velma back in the day and when she was on tour."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1534Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 10:36am

CurtainPullDowner said: "There is a new "understudy" for Mary in the chorus and Leslie's "vacation" has been extended."

Curious who in the ensemble is the Mary Sunshine u/s?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1535Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 10:54am

On the Chicago website there is a "Standy for "Me and My Baby" (Barrett Martin), what role is that?  I haven't seen the show in years so I can't remember.  Is it supposed to say standby?

Updated On: 8/12/18 at 10:54 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1536Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 11:17am

yeah, that's very odd. Barrett Martin plays Sergeant Fogarty and has been back in the show since May.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1537Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 12:10pm

I'm happy that the show is stopping in Dallas (Dec. 2018) and Houston (June 2019).  https://chicagothemusical.com/new-york/ustour/

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1538Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/12/18 at 1:44pm

It's also playing near me in NJ. Will definitely be seeing it.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1539Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/14/18 at 10:11am

FYI, Terra's back as Velma. She was just on vacation last week. Don't know who long she's with the Broadway company and if she's heading back on tour starting next month.

trpguyy
#1540Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/19/18 at 10:34am

Joseph London, who covered Ryan’s vacation earlier this summer, is the new Mary Sunshine standby.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#1541Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/19/18 at 7:40pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I remember Nicole Bridgewater used to cover for Mama, but she's not part of the cast anymore."

she used to cover Roxie too

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#1542Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/19/18 at 7:46pm

Ha I think my message above got the website changed.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1543Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/20/18 at 12:18am

Ryan Lowe is off on vacation to the Hawaiian Islands this coming week.  Joseph London, his new standby, is covering for him.  I had been  aware that London had been hired as the official standby for some time, but was asked to hold off  mentioning it.  Even before London was confirmed as the official standby, Ryan Lowe was off the show (recently) for a few performances.  David Bushman (swing/dance captain) played the role of Mary Sunshine.  So, it seems that the standby has a back up in an emergency situation.

Updated On: 8/20/18 at 12:18 AM

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#1544Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/21/18 at 1:59pm

Hey everybody! 

I have Monday night free and I am looking to go see Chicago. What would be the best method to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to seeing the show? Are the rush seats good? Is the show ever at TKTS? 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1545Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/21/18 at 5:32pm

Rush is typically easy to get for this show. If you lose out, they may offer "loser prices". Good luck. TKTS is typically half off(~$85).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#1546Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/21/18 at 6:41pm

Terra C will continue as Velma Kelly until Aug. 25th.  Then, (I'm assuming) she'll headline the next Cellblock Tour which begins on Sept. 14th in Kansas City, MO.  https://chicagothemusical.com/new-york/ustour/  After Terra departs,  AFW, returns as Velma for a 5 month stay at the Ambassador:  from Aug. 26, 2018 -- January 27, 2019.  

Updated On: 8/21/18 at 06:41 PM

OneSingularSensation2
#1547Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/23/18 at 3:29pm

TheSassySam said: "I have Monday night free and I am looking to go see Chicago. What would be the best method to get the most bang for my buck when it comes to seeing the show? Are the rush seats good? Is the show ever at TKTS?"

I tried a couple times this summer and wasn't able to get rush tickets for Chicago, but I did get a couple SRO tickets! $27 each and a great view. They might not offer it depending how close the show is to sold out, but IMO it's worth asking if you don't mind standing. Good luck and enjoy!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1548Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/23/18 at 3:56pm

Last time I rushed the show I lost and they offered SRO. This was ages ago though.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#1549Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 8/23/18 at 4:01pm

Thank you for the updates! I am trying next Monday. I'll try to go as soon as the box office opens.