pixeltracker

Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.

Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#1Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:08pm

Last night, curiosity got the best of me, and I decided to see "Spider-Man" before its "re-working period." What I discovered was a show that was visually stunning, with a few catchy, but many lackluster songs, and virtually no book (which many have already said).

By the close of the show I realized, this could be a decent show. I personally enjoyed the new approach to the story, and actually loved the idea of Aranche. I for one am going to remain optimistic because the show I saw, while no where near good, does have tremendous potential; as I stated, I quite liked the new story, and which, with an improved and developed (or new) book, and some tweaking to the songs (and cutting out of the "shoe song"), I really feel has potential. The thing really disjointing the show, and leaving plot holes, is the book. I'm quite excited to see what happens when that is changed.

I did speak to the house manager who said some changes were made recently, so I can't imagine what it was like for those who saw it early on. The people next to me left at intermission, to be honest, I was tempted to as well, but in the end, I'm happy I didn't.

Little side note, get those guitars off stage, you can't hear the actors!

Now, l'm not going to do a full review, but onto a few things...

-Show was stopped once in the final scene for a little over a minute, the web was stuck.

-I thought the choreography worked well.

-You forget about Aunt Mae (sp?) by the end of the show... develop her more.

-Matthew James Thomas was on for Peter Parker/Spider-Man: I was thrilled! I was hoping to see him, and he was fantastic! Truly what I felt Peter Parker should look like/act like.

-Jennifer Damiano, she was a lead? Really? Julie, your feminist powers have let us down. Love Jennifer. Wasted talent in this.

Patrick Page... love.

It was T.V. Carpio's first performance back, I had no idea, so I was quite excited; she was excellent! Really going full force!

Over all, Matthew and T.V. are the two that allowed me to somewhat enjoy the show. I'll be making sure to go back on a Wednesday to see Matthew (after the re-working period)!

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 12:20pm

T.V. Carpio is back sooner than expected I guess. I am also trying to remain optimistic about this show. Thanks for your thoughts.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

FindingNamo
#2Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 1:08pm

It's my opinion that they have to cut the Geek Chorus, reduce or eliminate Arachne completely, put the focus on Peter and MJ and the Green Goblin, and U2 have to write some more accessible songs that aren't mid-tempo ballads.

And no I have not seen the show.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#3Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 1:20pm

Was the Geek Chorus still in the the show you saw?? I'm curious as to see what this who will look like post-overhaul

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#4Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 1:22pm

I think the show definitely has potential. The show is visually stunning with some great staging by Taymor (say what you want, but she knows what she is doing visually). I even found the plot somewhat coherent, with a few wtf? moments. Act 2 worked fine and I found myself enjoying it more then. The music was okay, a few memorable songs and a lot of "ehh" music. The thing about the book is I almost got the feeling they were going for a comic-book kind of script, which didn't work on stage. I found it strangely campy. I mean, a spider in heels? I was overall able to enjoy it.

Things I liked were:
-The actors, did well with a weak book. I also saw Matthew James (I wanted to see him) and he was awesome.
-T.V. was good too. I liked the concept of her character but not the execution of it.
-MJ. Jennifer does great. I even found the role fine. It certainly isn't a lead role as written but she has a good amount to do. I like all the songs she was featured in
-The visuals/staging.

Didn't like:
-The script. SPOILER*** Uncle Ben's death was cringe worthy. It could be more streamlined.
- There were a lot of different tones and it did mesh.
-The lyrics. They were terrible.
-The military song and "DIY World". I really didn't mind the actually song/dance of "DIY", but it was so unnecessary.

EDIT:Geek Chorus was still in. I didn't mind them. Although they did slow down the pace, and non of the jokes landed well (not the actors fault). I kind of liked the concept of them creating the comic book, but again it was just to many things.

Updated On: 4/2/11 at 01:22 PM

Wishing Only Wounds
#5Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 2:21pm

Like BwayTday said, the Greek Chorus is still there...

I personally love the concept of them creating the musical as it unfolds before the audience; I think it's a great and genius idea. The book just needs to be completely re-done so it works well... or at all.

I didn't mention it before, but the ending... I actually laughed without even meaning to (was a little embarrassed, as it was quite audible) at how under-developed it was. Arachne's "exit," if you will, it way too Phantom of The Opera.

Then the final scene, again... laughable. "Go get 'em, tiger!" ...ha.

Updated On: 4/2/11 at 02:21 PM

LegallyBroadway2
#6Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 2:38pm

This show is already my favorite in a long time. I know I'm alone in that, don't kill me. It's just that it works for me.

*Spoilers follow!*

But there are issues. And I hope hope hope after the overhaul, it becomes what it should be. The DIY choreography is really stupid. The Arachne evil and shoe song is not necessary, yes. And the second time I saw the show last weekend, I enjoyed the geeks much more. But how can they be cut? I hope we don't loose the Arachne weaving scene at the top of the show. It's beautiful. Stunning.

Can Osbourn's wife not die like by merely touching the machine? Add a spark effect! Idk it looked odd. No one understood.

Act two was loud, powerful, scary unlike when I saw it for the first time a couple months ago. Act one was disappointing as usual- BUT it'll be fixed! I know it will, and I know the show will become most people's broadway standards.

Already I'm in love with it. Honestly, I can't stop listening to the songs and talking about it. But I can see how everyone is disgusted.

I have had no tech issues, except for the ceiling in bouncing off the walls pole fell once. Other than that perfection.

Let's see how well this becomes! I'm so excited!!!
Updated On: 4/2/11 at 02:38 PM

Wishing Only Wounds
#7Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 2:48pm

LegallyBroadway2, you may want to include that you're mentioning spoilers but as for the death scene, maybe you did indeed have a malfunction, because last night, there was sparks and smoke; it was made quite evident that Osbourn's wife was electrocuted.

LegallyBroadway2
#8Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 2:59pm

Oh I'm sorry! I thought it was common knowledge that she dies. . I'll edit that in :)

And good, I probably missed the moment of elctricity.

thesixtyfirstpupil Profile Photo
thesixtyfirstpupil
#9Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 6:47pm

Personally, I think the show has potential too. I was one of those people who said the show was awful in the beginning (having just listened to the First Preview audio), but since I've seen it twice now, I think they just need a bit of reworking.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Ok, so here's my shpeel. Act I is salvageable. Just develop a better relationship between Peter and Uncle Ben and Aunt May before Ben dies/the slaughter of the origin story. Uncle Ben NEEDS to be shot by the robber who robs Peter instead of being hit by an effing car. KEEP THE FRICKING WEAVING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!! I will literally kill them if they cut that. Make Arachne Spidey's guardian angel, but keep Think Again because it would fit better if her character was his guardian (just change the lyrics, and cut Deeply Furious). Act II needs to be almost completely rewritten. Cut DIY World and the military song (which is apparently called Pull the Trigger, even though that wasn't made clear to the audience because YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD THEY'RE SINGING). I would go on, but I don't want anyone to claw their eyes out by reading this. :P

LegallyBroadway2
#10Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/2/11 at 7:29pm

Arachne would be amazing as a guardian. It would be really more powerful. More sinister six action! No one has been upset with the act two opener? I love the show more than I can explain, but that is so hilariously stupid.

DIY and PULL THE TRIGGER (?) need to stay, they are good songs with horrible build up and dance.

Peter and uncle Ben should sing a verse!

I'll miss Arachne when she drops like 20 feet multiple times during Deeply Furious. It makes your heart jump.

I'll miss version 1

It's already awesome. . . it'll be kick a** in a few weeks Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.

Wishing Only Wounds
#11Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:27am

As of Friday, Arachne was regarded as his guardian angel... but was still a villain who loved him (I thought it was like that all along). It was one of the things that annoyed me.

Guess they already caught onto the guardian idea?

LegallyBroadway2
#12Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/3/11 at 1:49pm

I hope they keep Arachne being 'freed' in the end (somehow), and finally getting to be hung. Odd to say, but It was so beautiful.

LegallyBroadway2
#13Spider-Man: The Show Has Potential.
Posted: 4/3/11 at 5:52pm

I think it would be cool to have spider-man and the goblin battle while Mary Jane is hanging from the bridge.

But then again. . The boy wouldn't fall from the sky.