pixeltracker

BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!- Page 2

BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#25BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/14/11 at 9:17pm

It's fine with me if you actually see the show and decided that it's not your cup of tea. <---- See what I did there.

But, I have to be honest and say that the opinion of one who uses a video montage to form their entire assessment of a live theatrical production doesn't have much of a reason to exist either.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#26BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/14/11 at 9:32pm

Don't buy that argument at all. First of all, I always admit if I haven't seen something. In cyberspace what would keep me from claiming I've seen Wonderland a few times before offering my assessment. These videos are used for promotion, to get people to buy tickets based on what they're showing. All I'm saying, is BASED ON THIS VIDEO I would NOT care to see Wonderland.
Wow, with that joke/pun writing skill of yours, perhaps you should rewrite the book for Wonderland.

Do you not decide what movies you'll see partially (or largely) based on previews? Of course you. To imply that no one has a right to an opinion because they haven't seen every production beforehand would certian limit the discussions here.

Should I say that because you haven't seen all of the Broadway and Off-Broadway shows/musicals I've seen (probably before you were born) therefore you're not qualified to have opinions about productions you have or have not seen?

These are discussion forums, nothing more, nothing less. Pure opinion. If we start deciding who's "qualified" to have opinions are not, probably dozens of posters would be disqualified (at least by me).

I have advanced degrees in Theater, so what?
I've taught theater at a state university, so?
I've directed off-B shows, so?
I've worked on a couple of B'dway musicals? Big F---ng deal.
I've stage managed/asst. directed national tours of hit musicals... etc., truly. However, none of that matters a bit. I'm just a cyber-schlub with an opinion based on 13 minutes of performance video -- sanctioned by the created and producers, So sue me.

Updated On: 4/14/11 at 09:32 PM

tkts
#27BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/14/11 at 9:36pm

Oy.

Cake or death?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#28BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/14/11 at 11:59pm

"These are discussion forums, nothing more, nothing less. Pure opinion."

Then why bother posting lengthy responses about your history with seeing shows?

Oy is right.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#29BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:12am

EDIT
Nevermind

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."
Updated On: 4/15/11 at 12:12 AM

JerBearLuv Profile Photo
JerBearLuv
#30BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:25am

I can't wait for the Cast Recording of this. This video was great I wish I could be in New York to see it. Kate Shindle Is AMAZING!!! And I don't know why but I love Janet Voice so much. Her voice is beautiful.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#31BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:41am

Janet's voice is really soulful - she sounded great tonight (her verse in Through the Looking Glass has been changed, however).

Kate Shindle may easily be the best part of the entire cast - hard to believe since she joined the cast just this past year and everyone else (for the most part) has been together for 2 years!

klacombe@uoguelph.ca Profile Photo
klacombe@uoguelph.ca
#32BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 12:57am

Philly03, I agree she sounded phenomenal tonight. I wasn't convinced by Janet's performance in the first preview. But tonight's performance changed my mind. Her voice was strong and beautiful. And her character has transformed and gotten significantly better.

For me it's a tie between Kate Shindle and Carly Rose Sonenclar being the best parts of the show. They both have phenomenal stage presence and voices. I'm sure I will be making a return visit just to see them again.

Can't wait for the cast recording!!!

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#33BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 1:05am

I think I was spoiled by getting to hear Carly Rose Sonenclar sing so much more this past year in Tampa. She's still phenomenal, but she doesn't seem to have as much to do anymore! I wish she had her own solo - she's that good!

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#34BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/15/11 at 4:07pm

1st of all, I'm just stating my opinions and I love that this board is a great place to do that.

I saw the show last night and really enjoyed the use of the screens in Act I and also the music throughout the entire show! I think the music is the show's forte and I will definitely be getting a copy of that Cast Recording. The acting and singing was incredible by everyone in the cast. and the little bit of dancing was nice too.

That being said, the show, made me feel like I was at Disney World on a ride or something *in a good way* (at the end of ACT I and also when she falls down the rabbit hole)

SPOILER:

But I laughed a lot in ACT II *in a bad way*: the whole alien/zombie-like people......? Another thing I thought was silly was the way the rabbit can turn back time... I'm surprised they didn't make a reference to Cher when the rabbit pointed that out. lol They made a reference to just about everything else in the world... including other musicals.

when mad hatter went down with the knight that whole thing was so funny to me *in a bad way*
**END SPOILERS**

In the end I thought it was like a really good Off-Broadway musical that you can see at NYMF every year.

EDIT:
Forgot to say that I cried at the end. There's a beautiful story about a family going through rough times.

And I cheered the most for the boy band/ the knights, that was the most fun. Updated On: 4/15/11 at 04:07 PM

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#35BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:04pm

I seemed to have upset a number of musical comedy sandbox gang members here with my assessment of Wonderland based purely on the 13 minute promotional video. In my earlier post, I said the show looked like 50% Alice in Wonderland 50% Wizard of Oz = 100% mess. The Backstage review also makes reference to the similarities to The Wiz/Wizard of Oz as well, and thus far most of the critics agree that the whole enterprise in a wrongheaded mess. Yes indeed, 13 minutes of a show are very telling. I don't have to waste lots of money to find out what I can already smell from afar.

And only moments later The New York Times less-than-lethal review by Isherwood arrived comparing the show to the film of The Wiz... The creators should be eternally grateful that Ben Brantley left this one to Mr. Isherwood. Updated On: 4/17/11 at 10:04 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#36BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:28pm

Janet sounded incredible tonight !!! Definitely changed her ending of "Through the Looking Glass"- (shortened the lst note)

Carly Rose is simply amazing -- for her age...WOW !!!

fingerlakessinger
#37BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:33pm

How did the rest of the audience respond Testing?

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Testing1232
#38BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:48pm

The audience (and I know people will say they were all family members, friends, comps, etc) seemed to love it !!! The reactions I heard were very positive--

Everyone received entrance applause, and huge ovation for "One Knight"--- Darren Ritchie ended the song by saying "This ones for you, first-timers"---

Standing O at the end--- Janet seemed very emotional-

Critics were extremely harsh, but only critic that matters to me is my 6-yr old daughter, who attended her first opening tonight
(her 3rd time seeing "Wonderland") - She loves it !!

fingerlakessinger
#39BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:51pm

Yea see, I can this being the kind of show that survives despite critics. Its a re-telling of a story we all know.

Testing1232
#40BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 10:58pm

Hope so--- I have seen the show with four different people, and they all loved it--- as have many other people that I know. I think everyone expected the critics to be harsh-

Hopefully, people give it a chance to see for themselves.

JerBearLuv Profile Photo
JerBearLuv
#41BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/17/11 at 11:07pm

I think the show will survive awhile because its getting negative comments from critics but its getting some good comments by fans and families. I found this written review by a fan on the facebook page and I think. The Music is great in the show from what ive heard its the script thats weak.

Heres a fan review that was on the facebook page: http://adaumbellesquest.squarespace.com/reviews/2011/4/17/wonderland-go-through-the-looking-glass.html

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#42BWW TV: WONDERLAND on Broadway - Complete Sneak Peek!
Posted: 4/18/11 at 6:45am

Kate Schindle was great, Janet Dacal had an interesting riff in "Through The Looking Glass," everything else was fairly lackluster.