pixeltracker

Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!

Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!

soundtheatre
#1Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:49pm

Hi,

I am currently in my 3rd year at university studying Sound and am starting to collect data that I can then put into my Dissertation.

I am exploring the importance of Sound Design and whether Musical Theatre goers notice Sound in the same way as visual elements may be noticed.

Please could you take a few minutes to answer a few questions.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KT2DX2H

Thank You in advance,

x

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#2Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 7:54pm

Your fifth question is a bit strange. Having clear sound does not exclude a show from using stylized sound effects. Also, saying clear dialog, lyrics, and orchestra is "cinematic" is rather misleading. When I hear cinematic, I think explosions and overly stylized mixing. Then your second choice is stylistic, which brings me right back to the film concept in my head. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

I think "naturalistic" and "stylistic" might be better categorizations, but that's just me.

soundtheatre
#2Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 8:11pm

When I say Cinematic, I am talking about using surround sound and having a very polished mix. Almost perfection.

Stylistic is more, I would say, conceptual. For example, the Storm Scene in King Lear at the Donmar. It was portrayed the storm inside Lear's head rather than the physical storm that was actually happening.

I see where you are coming from, but I believe, that cinematic comes under the sub-heading naturalistic.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#3Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 8:12pm

In response to #5, because there was no text box, I clicked "Cinematic" but I think that stylistic elements should definitely be used in the music. However, I'll allow that it all depends on the particular story, production, etc. There shouldn't be a black and white answer to that question.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

soundtheatre
#4Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 8:21pm

I completely agree, however, in big commercial theatre, does a sound designer design the system, sound effects and mix OR does a sound designer have an input with the music?

I would say the first option, if the musical director and composer (if present) want stylistic elements in the music, that has nothing to do with the sound designer. (this may be different in plays!) The sound designer, may however, be asked to use some sort of effect processing to enhance any stylistic elements within the music.

What are your thoughts?

emg_sound
#5Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 11:07pm

Rather than take your survey and skew the results, as a fellow sound designer, I will ask the following questions...

1: Your description and question of Cinematic/Stylistic is inherently problematic... Since, frankly, the use of surround sound is a clear stylistic choice (I look to Rob Kaplowitz's design for Fela! as a clear example of this).

2: Frankly, one X factor you're forgetting is the musical style of the piece... If it is a Rock/Pop based musical, the sound designer has a completely different set of tasks and expectations. If you're doing South Pacific, and actively notice the amplified sound design, something is dreadfully wrong, but if you're doing American Idiot, the presence of amplification is much more accepted, so there is a completely different set of expectations.

We could talk about this until the cows come home, I'll think of more comments, PM me if you have questions.

emg

The one show everyone on Broadway is waiting to see: Twyla Tharp presents: Big Bottom - The Spinal Tap Jukebox musical!

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#6Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/14/11 at 11:44pm

What university are you studying sound?

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#7Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/15/11 at 12:39am

I took your survey, but I feel like some of your multiple choice questions were guiding your audience into a specific response to justify a point you wanted to make in your dissertation. That wouldn't represent an unbiased test audience, if academic integrity is an issue for you...

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/15/11 at 6:12am

I agree^.

Also: I'd have someone proofread your work before you publish anything (including a survey) as your use of uppercase letters is annoyingly erroneous. (Not being snarky, just letting you know -- it truly made reading both your post and survey more difficult.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ravnquest1
soundtheatre
#10Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/15/11 at 9:39am

I completely agree and I have had 'Mixing a Musical' on pre-order for a while. Just waiting for it to come through.

Thank You for your comments, they are all very helpful!

soundtheatre
#11Do You Notice Sound In A Musical Theatre Environment? A few questions for my Dissertation!
Posted: 9/15/11 at 2:22pm

I'm studying at Rose Bruford College in London. (Well, just outside of London!)

Videos