pixeltracker

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/21/11 at 8:57pm

I've heard from a friend who's involved that the reading with Raul Esparza and Sherie Rene Scott went great and that producers are likely to bring the show in this Spring given the current lack of many new musicals... Has anyone else heard the same? I guess that would knock Raul out of LEAP OF FAITH?

karma3
#2LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/21/11 at 9:01pm

How heavily has it been re-written?

cglaid Profile Photo
cglaid
#2LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/21/11 at 9:24pm

unless they've done a massive overhaul on this show, it will be one less new musical.

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#3LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/21/11 at 11:18pm

I remember when this idea fizzled years ago when Alison Fraser was attached to the project and some other big name that I can't remember.

I can't say I'm tickled with the potential casting, but what do I know?

Oddly enough I was listening to this on my phone when I came across this post. Hadn't listened to it in years!

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#4LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/21/11 at 11:27pm

When was Alison Fraser involved? As Cheryl? The only names I know who did workshops were Scott, Menzel, Carmello, and then Thompson in the La Jolla production.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#5LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/22/11 at 2:03am

ChiChi are you thinking of Little Mary Sunshine? This is the Finn/Lapine musical of the film Little Miss Sunshine.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

bobbybaby85
#6LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/22/11 at 4:49am

Updated On: 2/20/18 at 04:49 AM

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#7LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/26/11 at 9:09pm

You're all absolutely right. I guess my undiagnosed dyslexia read "Little Mary Sunshine" rather than "Little MISS Sunshine." So sorry. Condolences for my stupidity can be sent to my e-mail.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#8LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/26/11 at 9:37pm

I mean, I did consider the plausibility of it due to Fraser's long association with Bill Finn. That's why I wanted to ask.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#9LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/26/11 at 9:48pm

Clever association, AC. Too bad it wasn't mine...LOL!

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#10LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/26/11 at 9:48pm

bobbybaby- are you talking about the La Jolla production? Because the son (Taylor Trensch) is actually really talented. And the little girl I believe has already been in Billy Elliot on Broadway. Guess the show stunk that much?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 9/26/11 at 9:54pm

It's all personal taste, but I thought Trensch was DREADFUL in Spring Awakening and was disappointed when he was cast in this. In SA, he scream-sang everything and his "acting" was non-existent.

NikkiFourEyes
#12LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 10/3/11 at 9:14pm

James Hebert of the San Diego Union-Tribune wrote about the reading last month ("Theater briefing", Sept 29):

"Add Playhouse: The theater has confirmed it hosted a private New York reading earlier this month for "Little Miss Sunshine," the movie-adapted musical by James Lapine and William Finn that had its world premiere in La Jolla last winter.

Two La Jolla cast members - Taylor Trensch, who played Dwayne, and Georgi James, who played the central character Olive - participated, along with "Sunshine" newcomers Sherie Rene Scott, Raul Esparza, John Cullum and Brooks Ashmanskas.

The theater said in a statement that "the reading was done because there were many new ideas the creative team wanted to try following the run at the Playhouse, and this gave them the opportunity to continue working on the piece, with no particular focus on the future of the project."

Such readings also can serve to shop the show to investors for a potential Broadway run. But the Playhouse has said there are no plans at the moment for a further "Sunshine" production."

Original source:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/29/theater-briefing-new-shows-new-dates/

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#13LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 10/3/11 at 9:45pm

I too thought "Little Mary Sunshine" when clicking in. I guess "Little Miss Sunshine" has not had as great an influence in the musical theater community as has been hoped. A new William Finn musical would be welcome, but a Romance In Hard Times reunion recording would be received with open arms.

With Irma you gotta do something!

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#14LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 10/3/11 at 11:15pm

They would have to MAJORLY rewrite that show for it to even have a chance on Broadway. I saw it in La Jolla when it premiered earlier this year, and it was...well, it was awful. It's the first musical I could have walked out of at intermission and not felt like I'd missed a thing.

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#15LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 10/4/11 at 1:55am

dragon and bobbybaby pretty much match my sentiments after seeing the show in La Jolla. At the time I was floored that the reviews were somewhat positive. All of them were far better than the reviews for Bonnie and Clyde the previous season. Yet in my mind I felt Bonnie and Clyde had a chance to become a real musical while Little Miss Sunshine seemed hopeless.

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#16LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE Coming in the Spring?
Posted: 10/4/11 at 1:53pm

"One was a fun "f" you number the uncle did and the other was a number that Miss California did about eating disorders."

I don't even remember the uncle's song. And I definitely remembered absolutely HATING the bulimia song. I didn't find it amusing in the least (and neither did my companion...or most of the audience), and it was at that point that I thought the show as a total waste.

Videos