Sons of the Prophet reviews

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#1Sons of the Prophet reviews
Posted: 10/20/11 at 11:50pm

Isherwood liked it:

“Sons of the Prophet,” commissioned and produced by the Roundabout Theater Company, where Mr. Karam’s “Speech & Debate” was a hit in its smallest theater several seasons ago, is the first important new play of the fall season. I will be very much surprised (albeit pleasantly) if it is bettered.

http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/10/21/theater/reviews/sons-of-the-prophet-at-laura-pels-theater-review.html?hpw

stone_blue
#2Sons of the Prophet reviews
Posted: 10/21/11 at 1:27am

Well deserved. Santino is a marvel.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#2Sons of the Prophet reviews
Posted: 10/21/11 at 9:59am

He didn't like it. He loved it. As did I. A deeply moving, funny play that has a lot to say, and does it in such a way as to be completely accessible. Add to that extraordinary performances (just how good can Fontana be? It's not fair!) and perfect direction and you have an absolutely fabulous night in the theatre.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3Sons of the Prophet reviews
Posted: 10/21/11 at 10:32am

Agreed. It's a marvelous production of a marvelous play. Hopefully other critics felt likewise.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

sskeats2
#4Sons of the Prophet reviews
Posted: 10/21/11 at 10:42am

It bogles my mind that Ishy also liked Relatively Speaking on the same press date.

Sons of the Prophet review is well deserved. But Relatively Speaking? One of the worst theater experiences I had in years. Scary that Ishy might be just bi-polar.

Not to mention his rant about Rapp whose Dreams of Flying etc. is a lot worthier than the dreadful Relatively Speaking.

Videos