News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SonofRobbieJ

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
Member Name: SonofRobbieJ
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 12 2024, 04:56:41 PM

Kad said: "We can think outside of the box here- a great actor who can carry a tune is all this role requires."

I feel like a Rudd or a Ruffalo could score here.

Here's the thing about Herbie. It's the perfect role for someone who hasn't been on stage in a while or ever. Also perfect for someone who has always wanted to do a musical but may be not be fully confident in their voice. And, based on past precedent, you can show up, do some good work an

Why Aren't Theatre History Classes Mandatory for High Schools?
 Jun 6 2024, 05:51:41 PM

I think you may have overestimated how much I might possibly care if you think I'm being realistic or not.

Looking at the arts as a separate thing that needs special funding rather than something that could be woven into existing curricula is the problem. Some of us have spent a lot of time working on these very things. Some of us even have masters degrees in this types of things.  

The reason I'm passionate about this is not just because I love and practice th

Jun 6 2024, 05:09:49 PM

I have absolutely no problem telling you not to call theater niche. And if you knew the history of theater, you would know that it's become niche in the last...70 years or so. 

I'd argue that there aren't that may ways to learn the soft skills discussed here other than being exposed to them and trying them. It doesn't have to be as an actor on stage, but you can't get goo d at presenting to people without the actual opportunity of being in front of people a

Jun 6 2024, 04:56:18 PM

I totally get that, Kad. I had the advantage of coming in to this conversation late and seeing the clarification. And your point about theater being older than most religions galvanized me. So really, it's all your fault.

I tend to agree that high schools should be better at providing kids the tools they need to get through life. I would have LOVED a financial literacy class. It's taken me to...this age...to even become remotely knowledgeable about such things. But I s

Jun 6 2024, 04:36:54 PM

You certainly don't need to apologize to me! Even though I was a little confused as to your intent when i read your first post, I thought you further posts really clarified your thinking. And I agree. World history (and American history) can very much reflect on what the artists were doing during those time periods. I was lucky that my English classes in high school almost always involved us reading a play a semester. I read Shakespeare, Shaw, Stoppard, Beckett, etc. I was lucky to b

Smoking on Stage?
 Jun 6 2024, 04:26:01 PM

I've been a smoker in my life, but before that, I had to smoke on stage for a play. I discovered the best thing to do to make it look realistic is to take a puff, hold the smoke in your mouth, lift your soft palate and then exhale the smoke through your nose. Smoking coming out of the nose just makes it feel more realistic. 

I think smoking on stage has become a distraction. No matter what is being smoked (even when nothing is actually being smoked but there is some kind of &#

Jun 6 2024, 04:08:12 PM

dramamama611 said: "You aren't listening to what others are saying. If you want schools to offer theater history for the very few that might want it, then you have to offer every other very niche topic to exist. The history of video game design. The history of football. The history of education. The history of auto mechanics. The history of engineering. High school isn't there to prepare you for your possible profession. It's to teach you to be a decent member of society

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/26/24
 May 30 2024, 03:54:54 PM

The first rule of the BWW Fight Club is mutually assured destruction. 

May 30 2024, 03:46:18 PM

I mean...go through your text history. I think it's best I stay sober in the BWW. 

May 30 2024, 03:15:04 PM

Kad said: "Maybe start popping an edible before you open this site?

How has it never occurred to me to engage with this site in an altered state. Kad...I suspect you're a treasure. 

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 May 30 2024, 10:38:58 AM

Row O, Center Orchestra on the aisle for $215.50 a ticket. Come say hi on December 17 :)

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 29 2024, 06:12:21 PM

Herbie would be a waste for Stokes's voice.

But Sterling K. Brown..

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season?
 May 29 2024, 05:38:36 PM

When I think of the great stagings I've seen in my life, George C. Wolfe is responsible for three of them (Angels in America, The Wild Party, Caroline, or Change). And when I think of the stagings I regret missing, it's Jelly's Last Jam, Noise/Funk and Shuffle Along. I'm going to be a freaking lunatic at 10am tomorrow. Happy 50th birthday to ME!

LEMPICKA Reviews
 May 20 2024, 01:51:34 PM

Every once in a while, I think 'Am I turning into Marylousie Burke? Maybe. Maybe I am.'

And then something like this happens and I'm sure of it. 

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works. 

City Centers 24-25: Ragtime, Urinetown, LaChiusa's Wild Party, Love Life
 May 16 2024, 12:10:39 PM

Kad said: "Falsettolands said: "Kelly Bishop as Dolores Montoya.

I would like to see that.
"

I was thinking Leslie Uggams would be fabulous, as well.
"

Rita Goddamn Moreno! (though I was worried Uggams was a little old and Moreno is even older). Or...and go with me on this...Nathan Lee Graham.

And in keeping with film actress making a splash in a musical (a la Toni Collette), I vote Evan Rachel Wood.

Do we think bl

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/12/24
 May 15 2024, 05:31:29 PM

Auggie27 said: "to compare it to boomer cultural markers - had the impact of, say, Simon and Garfunkle on some."

Not to put words in your mouth, Auggie, but I thought the 'impact' you were referring to was that of an emotional or artistic impact rather than commercial success. Having seen the show just last night, I completely understand your drawing that connection. I actually hadn't heard the album before walking into the St. James last night and my hus

Dame Judi : Trigger Warnings
 May 15 2024, 10:49:50 AM

You would think most of us didn't grow up in a world with the MPAA's 'parental guidance' system. 

I see quite a bit of theater and I've never once experienced a pre-show trigger warning speech of some kind. 

As MayAudra noted, it's clear that Dame Dench has very little context for this. She even says 'I can see why they exist.' Now...imagine the interviewer saying, 'These types of warnings allow people with autism to participate in t

Article: OPERATION MINCEMEAT... plots its course to New York
 May 8 2024, 01:27:56 PM

When I saw this last fall, I went in with an eye to see if this could potentially play here. I was entirely swept up in the show and there really isn't so 'British' about it as to be inaccessible. Plus...it has two things going for it that work for American audiences: World War II and a madcap, multi-character style (Think 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)').

I've done a bunch of shows like this in various places around the country (The Big B

ILLINOISE Reviews
 May 6 2024, 05:46:38 PM

As Kad said, the definition of musical theatre can be porous, but I'm happy to give my definition. A musical theater piece is one that uses a book (plotline), score (through live singing) and the movement of body through space and time (choreography and/or staging) to tell a cohesive story. Usually, one of those elements takes the lead in telling that cohesive story. For example, the book to 1776 carries the most weight, though it has a delightful score and has a whole lotta bodies on sta

HERE WE ARE heads to the recording studio
 Apr 26 2024, 05:22:44 PM

I thought it was a complete night of theater with a compelling story that resolved in a way in which I was satisfied. I *do* think that last moments seemed to want a song, but I don't think one was necessary. I just didn't think the running around the stage was the solution. 

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You