News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for SonofRobbieJ

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
Member Name: SonofRobbieJ
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

OH, MARY! Reviews
 Jul 12 2024, 06:03:42 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Those are money raves.

Cole is brilliant in this but I’dlove to see anactor try this role too.
"

This is an odd sentence. 

I've worked with Cole as an actor and they are really quite something. The first thing we did together, I only knew them from Jeffrey and Cole Casserole, so I didn't quite know what to expect. During that rehearsal process, they became my rock and they exuded professionalism, dili

TERF - Joshua Kaplan-penned play about JK Rowling to premiere at Edinburgh Fringe
 Jul 11 2024, 04:05:30 PM

binau,

I say this with a great deal of love and affection.

Everything you are saying has been said about every civil rights movement. Every last one. If only the activists would pipe down, the majority will definitely allow those poor, meek women to vote...or those good and kindly negros to exist...or those respectable gays and lesbians who conform to gender norms to be out...or the not-too-slutty gays who may contact AIDS to live. 

I know you think we're in a bu

TERF - Joshua Kaplan-penned play about JK Rowling to premiere at Edinburgh Fringe
 Jul 11 2024, 01:31:57 PM

TheatreFan4 said: "binau said: "This is one of the few social issues where I actually feel the public discourse and attitudes are becoming more negative than positive over time. For the safety, wellbeing and sanity of trans people I think trans activists (who are not the same thing as trans people, or at least the trans people I know who just want to live their lives) might need to start re-thinking their approach. It seems to be making things worse, not better."

BroadwayWorld Announces Summer Madness Bracket - Best Musical: Losers Edition
 Jul 8 2024, 05:57:34 PM

Some of these pairings were just plain mean.

Sunday in the Park against Parade? I feel like I'm the Confrontation in Jekyll and Hyde (I picked Sunday like a good boy). 

Dreamgirls v. Matilda? I really loved Matlida, but Dreamgirls is the great American musical of the end of the 20th Century. 

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA musical headed to the UK and West End in 2024
 Jul 8 2024, 02:46:41 PM

Truer words, Kad. Even adorable, doughy Rich Sommer as the (vaguely?) queer-coded friend couldn't do a thing to help that axis of evil. I give you a Bang & Olufsen phone and you try to get me fired with your cute games and I will burn you as a witch. 

Chances of Caissie Levy Led NEXT TO NORMAL Coming to Broadway?
 Jul 3 2024, 02:58:02 PM

It always kills me that the person who starts the rudeness gets all bent out of shape when they get rudeness back. 

At any rate, TotallyEffed, it really is a stellar production and Levy sings the role so effortlessly that is really allows you to focus in on the character's arc rather than the actor's technique. I hope we do get to see it here soon!

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 25 2024, 05:34:20 PM

joevitus said: "SonofRobbieJ said: "joevitus said: "wiggum2 said: "I found my book and the Michael Bennet info

https://ibb.co/bzzLgFC
"

Bennet says one thing, Sondheim another. Choose whomever you trust.
"

I need to go dig through my books to see what I (and you, joevitus) are thinking of. I wonder if it's in Everything Was Possible. I would (probably) trust Ted Chapin to be the ref on this.
"

You can find both views expressed in Sondheim and Co. Sondheim said he preferred Uptown/Downtown but Michael Bennet insisted on a new song for that spot to start fresh (and asked for a new song to replace "Bring on the Girls," leading to "Beautiful Girls," for the same reason). Bennet said he preferred Uptown/Downton and never knew why Sondheim replaced it, and that the song switchrendered the choreography meaningless. I guess Bennett repeated that comment elsewhere, or other biographers picked it up from Sondheim and Co. Sondheim, for his part, repeated the story on both the liner notes for the Paper Mill Playhouse cast recording of Follies and in his collection of lyrics Finishing the Hat that Bennett insisted on the song change to start fresh.
"

Bless you for this. I lost my copy of Sondheim & Co...decades ago at this point. I'm putting my husband, the book nerd, on the case. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 25 2024, 03:46:02 PM

joevitus said: "wiggum2 said: "I found my book and the Michael Bennet info

https://ibb.co/bzzLgFC
"

Bennet says one thing, Sondheim another. Choose whomever you trust.
"

I need to go dig through my books to see what I (and you, joevitus) are thinking of. I wonder if it's in Everything Was Possible. I would (probably) trust Ted Chapin to be the ref on this. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 24 2024, 05:52:08 PM

wiggum2 said: "I thought Michael Bennett wanted Uptown/downtown, something about the lyrics gave his choreography something to land on... I don't have the Sondheim book with me to find the exact quote

I love all 3 songs BTW... one of my favorite "bad" lyric of Sondheimis from Uptown/Downtown

But with a Schlitz in her mitts down in Fitzroy's Bar
She thinks of the Ritz. Oh, it's so schizo
"

My memory is that Bennett initi

Sam Mendes to direct new Jack Thorne-penned play about the Richard Burton/John Gielgud 'Hamlet'
 Jun 24 2024, 05:09:34 PM

Owen22 said: "Ishe goes for generic 50's movie star accent, where Taylor had a speaking voice as distinctive as the men in the play."

I strongly agree with you. She's not enough of a name nor was it such an essential performance to justify her coming over with the show. If you're not going to get someone who can do a vocal impression, then get a real star with star wattage to help sell the Elizabeth Taylor of it all.

I don't know how she would

Sam Mendes to direct new Jack Thorne-penned play about the Richard Burton/John Gielgud 'Hamlet'
 Jun 24 2024, 02:36:49 PM

Right! I just think she's expendable. :) 

In a blue sky world, an Anne Hathaway or Emily Blunt would work and move some tix. They're a decade too old but 1964 32 is close to 2024 42, if you know what I mean. 

Jun 24 2024, 02:02:41 PM

I think that the performances of Johnny Flynn and (especially) Mark Gatiss are essential to this play. Middleton made far less of an impression (on me) and I think this was an opportunity to cast an American name. Maybe's it's cause her wigs looked like they were made of petroleum products. I couldn't get over how bad her wigs were. Which...is not what one should be taking away from the role of Elizabeth Taylor. 

Although I enjoyed the play very much, I did have some d

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 24 2024, 01:53:33 PM

TotallyEffed said: "Benanti would be a good Phyllis but could she dance it and do it justice? That’s the one hang up I had about Jan Maxwell who was fantastic in a disappointing production."

This is going to be utter heresy (especially for someone who curates, writes and hosts a monthly Sondheim show), but I hate 'Lucy and Jessie' with a passion that burns with the fire of 10,000 suns. I prefer Ah, But Underneath but still think the absolute best song e

'CATS: The Jellicle Ball' at PAC reviews
 Jun 21 2024, 12:36:44 PM

In addition the restaurants Play Esq. just mentioned, you have Sant Ambroeus (in Brookfield) and Fierenze at Eataly. For a more casual feel, there are La Pizza & La Pasta at Eataly, Bill's Burger  and Malt House (though this one gets a bit of a noisy after-work crowd). Forgione is nearby. I've only been to Metropolis for a private event, but it's a pretty great space and the food I had was tasty. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 11:47:58 AM

Have none of us ventured into the mess that was Loveland and that poor, poor man who needed cue cards? I actually had to bury my face in the program out of second-hand mortification. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 21 2024, 11:44:15 AM

TotallyEffed said: "This piece, as fantastic as it is, lends itself easily to camp. I didn't mind Beth leaning into that, she is camp herself. I quite enjoyed her unhinged performance."

Ooooh, Mary, I could talk about the intricacies of this song FOREVER. It's a high wire act of chilly aloofness and roiling fury and the music tells you exactly where to be at all times. Of all of the versions I have seen of this song (and I have seen many, many, many versions of this song), Donna Murphy is probably my favorite because she walks that tightrope brilliantly. 

My dear, sweet techie husband (whom I never give enough credit for his astute musical theater opinions because I judge techies left and right wink) turned to me and said, 'It's not Last Midnight.' And I thought...we ll...that's really quite correct. I really have to stop judging him for not knowing the cultural significance of a public sighing of Margo Sappington. 

FOLLIES at Carnegie Hall
 Jun 20 2024, 04:38:37 PM

Days like today are why chic, unisex caftans really should become a thing. 

I'm coming from work so I won't be in shorts (and I generally wouldn't wear them) but feel free. You will never looks as horrifying as some of the regulars at the Met opera. 

Tony Award Viewership Decline Over the Years
 Jun 18 2024, 01:40:50 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Live-streaming awards shows like the SAGs on Netflix still haven't figured out alternatives to commercial breaks. Commercials ARE helpful and givethe audience and the people involved a breather. It becomes a long night without commercials."

I think a thoughtful way to go about creating the sense of a commercial break is to offer two minute interviews with the lesser known folks - designers, choreographers, book writers, etc. It will

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 18 2024, 09:12:37 AM

Broadway Flash said: "The theatre is looking good. The video they put out was terrible. She sang that on zoom. They put it together quickly, just like this whole revival is being thrown together. She has artistic approval over everything. Ohio State Murders failure is hanging over all of this. Not surprised she was on with Jenna and Hoda the day after they announced. Talented or not, you are only as good as your numbers. Even though it actually had good sales the day tickets went on

Audra McDonald-led GYPSY for 2024-2025 Season!
 Jun 12 2024, 04:56:41 PM

Kad said: "We can think outside of the box here- a great actor who can carry a tune is all this role requires."

I feel like a Rudd or a Ruffalo could score here.

Here's the thing about Herbie. It's the perfect role for someone who hasn't been on stage in a while or ever. Also perfect for someone who has always wanted to do a musical but may be not be fully confident in their voice. And, based on past precedent, you can show up, do some good work an

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You