pixeltracker

Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today- Page 4

Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

iluvtheatertrash
#75Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:45am

Wish we got to meet! I love meeting BWW people. The majority of my friends, while theater folk, are not nearly as "obsessed" as we all are.

After Eight, I hardly think it's bland. But I do agree with Whizzer that it is certainly uninspired. It's not as great as I'd hope (personally, I'd like to see the Meryl Streep/Greg Kinnear B&C at the end of that comedy... the Siamese Twins one.... I can't remember the name. Anyway...) but I really enjoyed it.

The cast is magnificent. I would love to see this run for a bit. Definitely not in my top 25 (though Jeremy's performance might be...) but I enjoyed it very much.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#76Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:46am

iluvtheatertrash-
SPOILER- Hobson did become the sheriff at the end because the original sheriff was killed during the shoot out in the previous scene.

AfterEight- I think you were pretty spot on with your comments. It did lack some grit and excitement. I know this isn't an adaptation of the movie, but the film is a lot more exciting.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

iluvtheatertrash
#77Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

You can catch an albeit too brief (second-long) glance at Jeremy's tush. Besides that and some shirtless scenes, alas, no...

He's not the greatest looking chap in the world. But he OOZES sex in this. I totally got why Bonnie was so stuck on him.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#78Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

Nude!? What? When? Where?

No, there were no nude scenes. A few shirtless and one in a bath tub where he was wearing briefs. The show was very much family appropriate.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

iluvtheatertrash
#79Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:48am

Devil -- I totally saw Jeremy's rear end when he got out of the bath... Was I imagining it?

SPOILER: Whizzer, wow. I totally didn't put that together. They need to make a moment out of it... if they insist on keeping that character.

WhizzerMarvin
#80Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:49am

To each their own, but Laura and Jeremy can't touch the performances given by Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein right now, imho. I don't think they are shoe-ins, or necessarily even contenders for the Tony right now. Definitely too early to be throwing that around!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

iluvtheatertrash
#81Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:50am

SPOILER: I was a little disappointed, as much as I loved the song, that "Dyin' Ain't So Bad" was not actually one of Bonnie's poems. Especially with the fact that they suggested it was after reading us so many of her poems throughout the night. Would've loved to have heard one of them set to music.

[How great would a "Story of Bonnie & Clyde" be?]

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#82Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:51am

AfterEight, you honestly didn't hum any of the songs as you left the theatre? I find that hard to believe. You must not really like music.

As far as merch goes, they had all the stuff mentioned before, but what caught my eye was this weird metal coffee mug that I kinda want to go get.
I try to get something (usually a magnet) from each show I see.

iluvtheatertrash
#83Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:53am

I liked Danny, but I really didn't like Jan. Don't want to threadjack and I know I'm in the minority, but as a huge Jan Maxwell (and Phyllis Rogers Stone) fan, I left very disappointed.

I don't know about Laura and a Tony, but Jeremy is pretty extraordinary and carries this beast. Amazingly talented young man...

broadwaydevil
#84Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

Theatertrash - I swear it was briefs but I was in the orchestra and pretty far back and the stage was dark so I could have missed it. Either way I agree he was VERY hot in this show. In Newsies I wasn't sure if he was even attractive but damn he's gorgeous.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

WhizzerMarvin
#85Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today

iluvtheatertrash-
SPOILER
The did make a reference to it in the scene where Hobson had assumed the position of Sheriff. One of the other detectives said something like, "tell that to the old sheriff, sheriff" when Hobson suggested they try to arrest the pair rather than shoot to kill.

notzach2
#86Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:55am

I got a rush ticket at 5:45 tonight and ended up in B10 in the orchestra. It was stamped partial view but I could see basically everything.

I really enjoyed myself and was beyond pleasantly surprised by how good I thought it was. I think a lot of the score is strong and beautiful, but there are definitely songs than can be cut because, like Whizzer said, they slow down the pacing. I'll echo the previous thoughts that Louis Hobson's song should be cut, it just doesn't serve a purpose at all, he sings it well, but it's irrelevant.

The casting of Laura and Jeremy is absolutely perfect. They both sing the crap out of the score and have incredible chemistry. And they make a very pretty couple as well and play off each other quite well.

Melissa Van Der Schyff was another major standout for me. I think she brought a lot of intensity to her role and she has a very unique voice that I wish she could have showcased more.

Overall, I really enjoyed myself, though, I do think act one needs to be tightened and paced up more. I'm excited to go back in a few weeks and see what changes have been made, though, because I really do predict good things for this show based on what I saw tonight.

iluvtheatertrash
#87Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:55am

Oh. Yikes. I may have spaced for a moment. I TOTALLY missed that and spent ten minutes VERY confused.

And heck yeah, Jeremy was hot hot hot. I was in row M all the way to the side, but I'm pretty sure I saw some butt cheeks. And I was looking for 'em, not gonna lie. By that point, I'd been totally seduced by Jeremey's Clyde. And if he was getting out of the bath, I was going to FOCUS.

iluvtheatertrash
#88Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:05am

Going to head to review my 'Doll's Life' libretto before bed... G'night guys!

After Eight
#89Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:09am

PopAria,

I honestly did not hum any of the songs leaving the theatre. In fact, I couldn't remember even one of them after the curtain fell.

And honestly, I feel I do like music.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#90Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:24am

Any word on the cd of the show?

Poster Emeritus

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#91Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:31am

Let me ask this. Based on what everyone has stated so far, is it fair to say that as a whole people are giving mixed to positive reviews of the show at this realy stage?

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#92Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:39am

AfterEight, I guess I spent too much time with the recordings on the site and liked the songs before going in...

I will agree with you that the secondary characters are sooo uninteresting and the set is very dark. I just like to point out the positive side of things. lol

I did get ahead of myself in saying that the 2 leads need Tonys. I just really liked them.

Updated On: 11/6/11 at 01:39 AM

PortalGamer
#93Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:43am

I do think and just hearing the album that Laura will walk with a tony.

kyle4
#94Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 4:37am

kinda bored... kinda wanted it to be over...

kinda underwhelmed...

here is my BLOG post...

http://thetheaterbuff.typepad.com/the-theater-buff/2011/11/bonnie-clyde-first-preview-thoughts.html

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#95Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 7:15am

First, you really need to lean how to write. Second, you need to lean how to write reviews. You don't mention a single person's name, you talk more about yourself then the material and I didn't learn anything except that there are planka of wood being used for the set.

What a waste of 'e-space'.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Luv2goToShows
#96Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 8:25am

Thanks for the reviews, what was the run time of the show? Thanks

broadwaydevil
#97Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 10:25am

Just over 2.5 hours including intermission.

And yes - I think it seems as if the show is getting mixed-positive reviews on here.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#98Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 10:34am

Kyle4,

Where were you sitting? I was towards the back of the orch and thought Bonnie's mom was fantastic!

Updated On: 11/5/11 at 10:34 AM

WhizzerMarvin
#99Bonnie & Clyde -- 1st Preview Today
Posted: 11/5/11 at 10:45am

Kyle4-
I'm going to have to agree with you on a few things with this one. The baptism pool did remind all of my friends of Godspell, and for that reason alone it needs to be cut! As soon as he went down in the pool we all turned to each other and whispered, "Godspell!" I met two other friends at intermission and the first thing out of one of their mouths was, "I guess Godspell isn't the show in town performing baptisms."

I'm sure it was absolutely unintentional and the two productions were unaware what the other was planning, but the fact remains this scene is evoking Godspell. The whole gospel number is bit extraneous, so why not cut it or trim it down? Like the song about driving cars it's a fine song, but slows up the pace.

Both of the moms in the show were the weak acting links. Some of their line readings made me laugh. I was very thankful Frank didn't give either of them songs (I got very nervous during the scene with the tree at night in act two). They were like the poor man's Cass Morgan in Memphis.