pixeltracker

FOLLIES is CLOSED, Y'all- Page 3

FOLLIES is CLOSED, Y'all

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#50FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 10:50pm

Did anyone else go to the stage door after the show tonight?

If so, how has Bernadette been in previous times compared to tonight? I had never met her before, and while I wouldn't say she was mean, she just seemed... disinterested. Not that I'm complaining or am not happy to have met her, just curious if she's typically happier.

Everyone else that came out -- Danny, Jan, Terri, Mary Beth to name a few -- were extremely gracious and jovial.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#51FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 10:51pm

Best12bars - I see we were thinking along similar lines. I picked him as Ben only because I couldn't imagine him singing "The God-Why-Don't-You-Love-Me Blues" and we know he has to be in the revival...

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#52FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 10:54pm

No... no, I don't think we know that at all.....

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

ChenoKahn Profile Photo
ChenoKahn
#53FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 10:55pm

PianoMann- she seems like a very shy person to me.

BroadwayFan12
#54FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:02pm

Bernadette has been very kind every time I've met her. She was probably physically and emotionally drained.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#55FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:05pm

I very much understand how she would be exhausted especially emotionally after today's performance and having to say goodbye to this production and cast. Again, just wondering what people's experiences have been.

random person 112
#56FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:06pm

She was very warm towards me and i imagine that couldn't have been easy so...

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#57FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:10pm

For the next revival in 20 years or so, I'm seeing Kelli O'Hara as Sally and Matthew Morrison as Buddy. Take it from there.

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#58FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:11pm

The times I have met Bernadette, she wasn't overly talkative, but definitely very friendly and approachable.

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

random person 112
#59FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:23pm

I don't know but not o'hara as sally please no. I'd rather wait ten years and do it with chenoweth as sally. Sherie rene scott as phyllis . Marc Kubisch as ben. Norbert as Buddy.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#60FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:27pm

Here's a nice article about some of the most exciting moments of today's closing performance:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/158864-Lord-Lord-Lord-Final-Broadway-Performance-Follies-Gets-Standing-Ovation-in-Middle-of-the-Show

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#61FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/22/12 at 11:51pm

Bernadette is a very quiet, reserved person. She rarely speaks at the stage door but is always polite and usually willing to take photos.

FindingNamo
#62FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 12:03am

Tony Yazbeck as Buddy in 15 to 20 years.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#63FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 12:16am

She was willing to take pictures, as I got one tonight, and she certainly took her time to sign for everyone who waited to see her, so it wasn't as if she was impolite! I just was unaware that she is so quiet and doesn't typically speak at the stage door.

BroadwayFan12
#64FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 1:01am

Yes, she usually is quiet at the stage door.

Updated On: 1/24/12 at 01:01 AM

f13overture Profile Photo
f13overture
#65FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 2:21am

Oh, the anticipation in Southern California...How long til May?

emida Profile Photo
emida
#66FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 1:45pm

I am so sad that it closed, but very happy that I got to see it.

I actually took a bus from Montreal to New York just to see this. I don't regret every single penny it cost me...

The best show I ever saw!

Gaveston2
#67FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 6:12pm

Patty Duke played Phyllis and was by all accounts pretty miscast. Vicki Carr played Sally, and I've heard was quite good.

Patty Duke was a train wreck. Imagine a bad karoake performance by your grandmother. And it was heartbreaking, because she is almost universally beloved. One of my students had a minor role and she told me the entire company was sick about it, because Duke was such a lovely person. I'm sure Duke is still a fine actress and I hope she just wasn't meant to be in a musical.

Vikki Carr sang Sally exquisitely. She tended to stop "acting" when she wasn't singing, IMO, but then she isn't an actor by trade and she had a very short rehearsal period.

Gaveston2
#68FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 6:17pm

As much as I respect your opinion that is one of the stupidest things I have heard.

Assuming your post referred to mine, ChenoKahn, thank you and, uh, no offense taken.

My point was that the FOLLIES score spans styles from WWI to the 1960s. including a handful of the best loved Broadway songs of the past half-century. That doesn't mean it has to be everyone's favorite, but to say it's so dull you can't listen to an entire recording is rather odd.

Gaveston2
#69FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 6:22pm

Gaveston2, I'm happy to report that absolutely everything you said above is completely wrong.

Anyone can be bored by anything. I am bored by FOLLIES. Hopefully in person, I won't be.

Well, for your sake, I hope you are able to give it a chance. I'll see you there. (This line is supposed to sound sincere, not snarky.)

I used to spend the interval between two a day football practices in high school in a bubble bath listening to the OBC of THE BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS.

See, now, that explains everything! Nobody can listen to "Texas Has a Whorehouse in It" that many times with suffering brain damage! (This part is a joke.)

Updated On: 1/23/12 at 06:22 PM

artisn'teasy
#70FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 9:48pm

I heard an amusing comment from Ms. Peters when I met her after Night Music- it was Friday of closing weekend. She was very polite as everyone has said, and she signed for everyone. A lot of people were asking for photos with her, and as she was nearing where I was in the crowd she said something about needing to move on (I assumed she meant in terms of not stopping for more pics, since she continued signing for people.) Right after she said it the guy next to me asked for his picture with her and her response was, "Only if you get me frowning because I have a matinee tomorrow."

She did pose for the picture. The joke seemed lost on the guy.

I didn't get a chance for a pic with her because she did move on after him (I still got her autograph), but hearing that funny little comment was sort of more interesting to me than a pic any day.

I didn't stagedoor when I saw FOLLIES, but reading about people's interactions with the various actors is making me wish I had!

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#71FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/23/12 at 11:23pm

I think it's awesome that a Broadway legend like Bernadette still takes the time to sign autographs and mingle with fans.

Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein were also very generous with autographs and pictures.

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

FrauleinKost    Profile Photo
FrauleinKost
#72FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/24/12 at 9:29am

I'm so sad, ya'll. Think I need cymbalta.

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

FrauleinKost
#73FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/24/12 at 9:29am

"I chose and my world was shaken--so what? The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not. You have to move on"

FrauleinKost
#74FOLLIES Is Closing, Y'all
Posted: 1/24/12 at 9:33am