pixeltracker

INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park- Page 6

INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park

random person 112
#125INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 1/28/12 at 2:10pm

Well i suppose i'm in the minority then. But i think she would need a vocal couch for woods, mainly to get her voice back to what it was during chicago if they do that she could be a great witch. Though can she do warmth? Though Zeta- Jones can not do the Delacorte production due to the fact her new movie is filming during the rehearsal period. She's busy, next.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#126INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 1/28/12 at 2:11pm

Brantley did not give CZJ a good review. But here are some of the positive ones that I've found...

Catherine Zeta-Jones is earthy and poignant in her confident Broadway debut. - Newsday

She is well-matched by Zeta-Jones, making a flawless Broadway debut with a performance that is also destined for a Tony nod. She tackles this difficult role with a natural gusto that in effect seduces the audience. She's warm, funny and captivatingly sensuous. - NY1

Zeta-Jones is one of the few movie stars these days with golden-age Hollywood charisma. She's not a technical actress but a suggestive, slightly vulgar sensualist, like Ava Gardner.
This is perfect for Desirée, who traffics in desire, but the character has more than one side. When she lets down her guard on the heartbreaking "Send in the Clowns," the fracture is unexpected here: Until then, we had no idea there were cracks under Zeta-Jones' breezy demeanor.
- The New York Post

Zeta-Jones brings great warmth and vitality to the role - USA Today

A handful of magnetic leads provides further insurance against the uneven production. At the center of that bright cluster is the luminous Catherine Zeta-Jones. - Variety

Catherine Zeta-Jones blazes with charisma, verve and wit as Desirée - Time Out New York

She does well by the play's pathos and wit. Wait for her to deliver the line, "And this is my daughter." And wait, especially, for "Send in the Clowns," which reduces her (and perhaps the audience) to credible tears - TheaterMania

Zeta-Jones—a tremendous presence here, in great voice—mates up with Hanson perfectly - New York Magazine

Looking as elegant as the musical she graces, Catherine Zeta-Jones makes a smashing Broadway debut in a wistful revival of "A Little Night Music." - New Jersey News Room

Yes, she also had some mixed reviews, but there were many positives. So, can we stop rewriting history?

Updated On: 1/28/12 at 02:11 PM

random person 112
#127INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 1/28/12 at 2:20pm

ljay, i recently revoked some of my criticizism due to the fact she was apparently ill when i saw her. So i would be glad to let her do the witch but due to her schedule this is not a production she can take part in. I think we should consider different women for the part now, yes?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
random person 112
#129INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 1/28/12 at 2:48pm

I still do harbor a slight wish for Ana Gasteyer as the Bakers Wife and ( considering her filming schedule for TV will probably be done by the time this is going on. Or she can be written off till she gets back for another.) Megan Mullally would be very interesting as the witch, yes?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#130INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/3/12 at 12:45pm

Not related to the Delacorte production in any way, but I didn't want to start another INTO THE WOODS thread. But interesting casting: Danielle Ferland (original Little Red) is going to be playing The Baker's Wife in a new production for Westport Country Playhouse. The production will also feature Lauren Kennedy (as the Witch), Alma Cuervo, Jeffery Denman, and Nikka Lanzarone.
http://playbill.com/news/article/159280-Danielle-Ferland-Lauren-Kennedy-and-Erik-Liberman-Cast-in-Center-Stage-Westport-Into-the-Woods

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

beautywickedlover
#131INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/3/12 at 12:53pm

^ I can defientley picture Lauren Kennedy in the scenes where the witch is beautiful. But I can't see her as the Witch in her old and ugly self. Women like Bernadette Peters and Vanessa Williams could pull it off since they are brilliant actors. I'm not saying that Kennedy isn't a good actress, but you really have to have GREAT ACTING CHOPS to play both sides of the Witch. I also remember seeing news clips of Rachel York doing it in a regional production and it looked like she did a terrific job with those scenes.

ETA: Interesting that Ferland will now be playing the Baker's Wife. It's strange how many years have passed since she was Little Red Riding Hood. I also gave my reason for why I'm a little skeptical about Kennedy.

Updated On: 2/3/12 at 12:53 PM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#132INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/3/12 at 1:31pm

I'm hoping to catch this at the Westport Playhouse. I adore Lauren Kennedy and would love to see her take on the Witch, and Danielle Furland as the Baker's Wife is absolutely brilliant.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#133INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/4/12 at 4:41am

With all of the A-list name speculation for The Witch in the Park, I'd forgotten that Sherie Rene Scott is one of my top choices for the role. If they decide to go for a Broadway name, she's my top pick.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#134INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/22/12 at 11:17pm

Does anyone know how to purchase the $150 seats? I believe someone mentioned something about a donation to the Public, but I'm not quite sure how that works to guarantee seats for ITW. Any info?

random person 112
#135INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 2/23/12 at 6:37am

^Something we can agree on ljay, i'm hoping this will end up being like Phyllis is follies, they call every celebrity in the book and then we end up with a great stage actress who was the best choice to begin with.

Updated On: 2/23/12 at 06:37 AM

TotallyJeannius Profile Photo
TotallyJeannius
#136INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:36pm

Anyone know when the Public will be giving us more details about the production dates for this summer?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#137INTO THE WOODS and AS YOU LIKE IT official for Shakespeare in the Park
Posted: 3/5/12 at 6:24pm

The dates will be similar to how productions were previously to the last two repertory summers (aka- the first production running late May through late June, a break of a few weeks, then the second production running July-August).

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."