pixeltracker

Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.

beautywickedlover
#1Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:11pm

Andrew Llyod Webber's version of 'The Wizard of Oz', which made its premiere in the West End February 2011 has been confirmed to make its North American debut in Toronto in Early 2013. Casting and a theatre have yet to have been reported, but it will be produced by Mirvish Productions and performances will begin in January or February 2013. There are also no reports on whether the 'Over the Rainbow' reality competiton will be used.

I'm guessing that a Broadway prodcution may not be likely because he had his West End revival of 'The Sound of Music' play in Toronto, and used the 'How Do You Solve a Problem like Maria' reality show to find a lead. But that production never came to Broadway. He might do like what he did with 'Love Never Dies' and make a DVD of the show and also show it in theaters like 'Love Never Dies', which may or may not have a Broadway run.

What do you all think of this?

Andrew Llyod Webber's THE WIZARD OF OZ to make North American Premiere in Toronto Updated On: 2/6/12 at 09:11 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:15pm

I hope the American critics tear him a new one. The new songs that he wrote for this are unnecessary and completely inferior alongside the brilliant songs from the film.

I'm sure he'd just love it if some new composer came along one day and decided that The Phantom of the Opera needed a rousing opening number.

Updated On: 2/6/12 at 09:15 PM

Jonwo
#2Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:31pm

Was The Sound of Music a success in Toronto? I imagine The Wizard of Oz will play The Princess of Wales Theatre as it's a big production.

beautywickedlover
#3Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:34pm

^ It was a success. It ran for over 500 performances and was also the longest running revival in Toronto.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#4Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:39pm

If War Horse does well, the Princess of Wales will be occupied meaning Oz will be put into the Ed Mirvish (formally the Canon).

I don't know if Sound of Music recouped. The upper balcony (there are 2) was not sold for most of the run. The initial investment was around $10 million.

Jonwo
#5Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/6/12 at 9:39pm

I'm guessing Mirvish are hoping The Wizard of Oz has a similar run, I've seen the 2006 production of TSoM both at the Palladium and on tour and it's very good.

beagle Profile Photo
beagle
#6Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/7/12 at 1:17am

Since Mirvish also produced the Toronto Sound of Music revival, and both the London and Toronto versions of that revival were cast via TV talent show, I wonder if this means there will be a Canadian version of the Over the Rainbow TV series to cast Dorothy.

I liked ALW's Oz in London. I'm glad it didn't try to be the movie onstage.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#7Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:25am

CATSNYrevival, have you seen the show?

degrassifan
#8Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/7/12 at 2:25am

I read that the Toronto Sound of Music did indeed recoup.

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#9Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/7/12 at 4:50am

I saw it at the Palladium and found it very boring and cold. The set is also quite ugly. The new songs are not bad but dont really add anything either

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#10Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 2/8/12 at 4:08am

I got the impression that Maria's reality show didn't really do well in Canada at all--but could be wrong--so maybe they won't bother with one for this.

beautywickedlover
#11Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 5/11/12 at 12:04am

The show is going to play at the Ed Mirvish Theatre tjis December and the 'Over the Rainbow' reality TV series will once again be used to find a girl and a dog to play Dorothy and Toto respectively.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/05/10/cbc-fall-season.html

http://www.cbc.ca/overtherainbow/index.html

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#12Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 5/11/12 at 12:22am

I've never thought The Wizard of Oz (at least the version brought out the most based on the 1939 film) really lent itself to the stage. It works wonderfully as a film, but just falls flat when you see it live. I suppose that kiddies will be entertained: colorful sets, the pretty costumes, the special effects- but beyond that what more is there? For me, any production just fails to live up to the movie. So why bother. And that's where I can appreciate (if not love) what Wicked did. They (author of the book and the creative team for the stage version) took the familiar Oz story and tweaked it, making a pretty good show in the process. It just also hurts that I'm a bit biased when it comes to Dorothys. No actress (that I've seen) has been able to inhabit the character like Judy Garland. She made Dorothy Gale feel like a real person (and the character is pretty much a bore) And frankly, for me every other rendition of "Over the Rainbow" falls flat after hearing Garland's take. Again, just my 2 cents.

Updated On: 5/11/12 at 12:22 AM

Jonwo
#13Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 5/11/12 at 12:29am

The problem is that a lot of stage adaptations of The Wizard of Oz are just the film on stage with some of the cut numbers, ALW did have the right of expanding it and adding new songs but executed it badly, I think they should gone the Mary Poppins route and made a new stage musical based on both the Frank L Baum books and the 1939 rather than just adapt the film.

beautywickedlover
#14Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'The Wizard of Oz' to make North American Premiere in Toronto.
Posted: 5/11/12 at 12:31am

"And frankly, for me every other rendition of "Over the Rainbow" falls flat after hearing Garland's take."

Although Katharine McPhee never played Dorothy, this version of 'Over the Rainbow' is just BEAUTIFUL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VenUynKEvH4

Updated On: 5/11/12 at 12:31 AM