pixeltracker

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance...- Page 9

MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance...

PlayItAgain
#200MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/19/12 at 5:26am

So i think I'm going to go to the matinee since there appears to be like 300 tickets available for todays performance, but question does city center do a student rush for Encores productions?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#201MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/19/12 at 11:02pm

Saw it this afternoon and truly loved it. The three leads were terrific. Keenan-Bolger impressively navigated the very difficult first scene with humor, maturity and a lack of shrewishness. She, Donnell and Miranda were wonderful throughout. Lapine was in top form. Wolfe and Stanley could not have been better.

The second act still drags, and I would think that ideally, for the sake of the pacing of the act, the "Musical Husbands" scene needs to be condensed, somehow bringing Gussie's sexy stage number and "It's a Hit" into a single musical number. "The Blob"/"Good Thing Going" scene is also too long.

But the end of act II was emotionally riveting. The theme of lost illusions did not seem a sour exercise in bitterness with this company and Lapine's solid direction.

I am one of those odd ducks who greatly prefers Merrily to Follies. This afternoon, I not only felt this production deserves a Broadway transfer. I also had the feeling that if this were a new musical it would be considered the best new show in a very long time.

Updated On: 2/19/12 at 11:02 PM

littlebutterfly10
#202MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 12:24am

"I also had the feeling that if this were a new musical it would be considered the best new show in a very long time."

As someone who went into the show last night with no prior knowledge of it, I have to agree. I was so moved by it that it's almost hard for me to believe that it was originally a "flop." By far my favorite Sondheim show that I've seen.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#203MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 2:18am

"The second act still drags, and I would think that ideally, for the sake of the pacing of the act, the "Musical Husbands" scene needs to be condensed, somehow bringing Gussie's sexy stage number and "It's a Hit" into a single musical number. "

This is precisely how it was usually done in the revised version--until now. I admit making the song a big production number sounds fun,but...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#204MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 2:25am

Well the revised number with choreography is only 3 minutes long. So it's not like it's adding that much to the running time of act 2.

Updated On: 2/20/12 at 02:25 AM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#205MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 2:43am

"As someone who went into the show last night with no prior knowledge of it, I have to agree. I was so moved by it that it's almost hard for me to believe that it was originally a "flop." By far my favorite Sondheim show that I've seen"

-My thoughts exactly, agreed a 100%-

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#206MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 2:52am

I admit that even on the York cast album I wish the number would go on longer--it's definitely a highlight (I care a lot less for Louise Gold's--as much as I love her due to her Muppet legacy--version which is more Ethel Merman on the Leicester recording).

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#207MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/20/12 at 8:50am

^I can understand that Eric. I liked the number itself. A lot. And Stanley was outstanding (I couldn't believe she was the same woman who played April in the Company revival, her performance and look was so different - although I liked her very much in Company). I actually like every single component of the second act. But I just feel the act is too long, its individual glories overpowering the delicate emotional arc of the reverse narrative. Viewed as a series of numbers and scenes, the act seems to be in great shape - but as a whole it bogs down.

I had no idea the condensing of the first scene was one tactic used in another production so thanks for mentioning that. That may have only shed a few minutes, ljay, but, I wouldn't be surprised if every little bit might count a lot in aiding the momentum. In my mind a minute here and minute there makes a big difference in a reverse chronology because the audience already has the feeling of being in a time warp.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#208MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/25/12 at 5:28pm

What a wonderful show! I hope to see this again soon.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#209MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/25/12 at 5:39pm

Saw this at Encores a week ago and loved it. The ending was so beautiful and poignant. I'm listening to the OBCR right now and had a question about the original production. I know about a lot of the changes that have been made to the show in subsequent productions, but I wondered in the original why Frank sang the first "Not a Day Goes By" instead of Beth. It looks like it comes in the same place in the show as it does now, but I was just wondering if it came in the same slot and was Frank telling Beth that he was still in love with her. Thanks in advance, Merrily experts!

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#210MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG First Performance - I was at the dress..
Posted: 2/25/12 at 5:47pm

It was originally Beth's song, but it was switched to Frank in previews. I've heard recordings of Sally Klein singing it and she didn't sound so great, so that's my guess as to why, but someone else might know more. Beth was also originally in "It's a Hit" in previews (like she is again now) and was also taken out of the song. In the original production, Beth is giving birth to their second child, but in all subsequent productions, Frank and Beth only have one kid.