pixeltracker

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews- Page 2

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews

MKunkel Profile Photo
MKunkel
#25Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 10:50pm

anyone try or heard anything of the lottery tonight?

TexanAddams18
#26Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 10:52pm

Picture of lottery on Newsies facebook page looks extremely close to book of mormons.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 10:58pm

so between 400-500 people.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TexanAddams18
#28Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:02pm

Not 400, but close too 200

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#29Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:05pm

The Ghost lottery was also insane tonight- Will be interesting to see if it's always like that or if more than usual were out for first preview

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#30Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:32pm

Ok, now I can write some more detailed thoughts.

As Michael Bennett said, this was one of the most electric first previews I've ever attended. The audience was primed before the show, and the young cast clearly fed off of this energy. It was definitely one of those nights where you could feel the connection between the cast and audience. It was pretty special.

The show itself has become considerably stronger since Papermill, with a lot of the changes being for the better. Pulitzer's new act 1 song is a vast improvement over his last one, and is far less cartoony. Dossett (mercifully) has toned down his performance a great deal, too. He no longer comes across as a silly caricature.

Capathia Jenkins is much better than that woman who played Medda at Papermill, and she makes the most of what she has. However, the role still is given next to nothing to do. The new song is a lot better, but I feel like it needed to be "bigger." Jenkins has an incredible voice, and this song didn't really give her the chance to use it.

The choreography remains the most exciting choreography I've seen on a stage in a very long time. They've made some slight alterations and it looks really tight now. These dancers are so talented, and the additions of the So You Think You Can Dance folks just makes it an even stronger ensemble. I can't be sure, but I *think* the spoon dance (very clever) section of King of New York was new. I don't remember it from Papermill. Regardless, it was wonderful. The dance breaks are exciting because of the boundless energy the cast has. They're thrilling to watch.

The set still gets moved on and off by the cast, which surprised me somewhat. It looks identical to the set used at Papermill.

Lewis Grosso (who was an excellent Gavroche in Les Miz last year) is also an improvement over both of his predecessors as Les. Much stronger actor than either of them. I also found Ben Fankhauser much less irritating this go 'round (he's not nearly as whiny as he was at Papermill).

Kara Lindsay remains delightfully quirky as Katherine.

Jeremy Jordan, in the true definition of a star-making performance, anchors this show and keeps it all together. The voice is out of this world (hearing him sing the act 1 finale of Santa Fe is almost worth the price of admission alone). His acting is really strong, too. He's full of charisma and commands the stage when he's on it. He's definitely the real deal.

The entire cast seemed positively overwhelmed by the audience response tonight. 12 of them were making their Broadway debuts this evening, and at several points (during extended applause breaks), you could see the smiles on their faces. I noticed some tears from some of the boys during the standing ovation after Seize the Day.

It's definitely not a perfect musical, but it's a whole lot of fun. It's going to be a huge, huge hit, I think.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:34pm

Here's the picture they posted of the lotto crowd. Anyone know where the seats were that the winners got?

Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#32Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:38pm

I heard they were partial view seats in the extreme sides of the orchestra, adamgreer (as seems to be par for the course at the Nederlander.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/15/12 at 11:46pm

I heard they were partial view seats in the extreme sides of the orchestra, adamgreer (as seems to be par for the course at the Nederlander.)

Thanks. That's where I suspected they'd be, since the front row wasn't lotto (I know that because I bought a full price ticket to sit there this evening), and the boxes had sound equipment or something of that nature in them.

There were a number of people standing at the back, but it wasn't immediately clear if they were people who bought SRO, or just people associated with the production.

Jonwo
#34Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 1:44am

It'll be interesting how it does at the Tonys because it'll definetly be nominated but whether it'll win anything is another matter.

I'm hoping it transfers to the West End although Newsies isn't a known title in the UK as it is in America so it may be a hard sell for Disney but then again shows like Hairspray have succeeded over here so maybe there's a chance.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#35Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 9:28am

I'm still floating on cloud 9 from last night's performance! Adamgreer, I think you articulated perfectly what made last night so special. Seeing this amazing group of young dancers making their Broadway debuts to such an overwhelming response was an absolute joy. Even some of the more experienced 'kids' like Andrew Keenan Bolger seemed blown away by the response. It was an evening I'll never forget.

The show itself reminded me of a throw back to Broadway of the 60s; - there's obviously a little OLIVER! in there but there were also moments that reminded me of HALF A SIXPENCE; and certainly the choreography reminded me of some of the rhapsodic epic work from that era by Michael Kidd, Gower Champion (among others) that we rarely see anymore on a Broadway stage (if only the Nederalnder Theatre were just *this much* bigger to really accommodate all that movement).

Like the shows I mention above, NEWSIES in truth really isn't great material. I'm not sure much of it is even good material. But, last night at least, none of that mattered.

I definitely look forward to returning down the road to see how the show changes and to see how that magic holds up once the show is up and running.

TheaterAddict17 Profile Photo
TheaterAddict17
#36Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 4:11pm

I saw the show when it was in previews at Papermill and the choreography was beyond incredible, so the fact that it is tighter now blows my mind a little bit. That newspaper bit in Seize the Day was amazing!

How is the book this time around?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#37Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 7:12pm

How is the book this time around?

They've made improvements (as I mentioned, they really fleshed out Pulitzer, whose character was laughably underwritten before), but it's still kind of a creaky book if you sit down and analyze it. It's never going to be mistaken for something written by Hugh Wheeler or James Lapine, that's fo sure. However, it certainly serves it's purpose, which is to move the story along between songs. But yeah, the book is not the reason the show's so great.

bk
#38Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 7:15pm

The photo of the front of theatre is astonishing - is there a person standing in front of that theatre over the age of eighteen? :)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#39Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 9:44pm

All the over eighteens are waiting for Nice Work if You Can Get It.

....but the world goes 'round

Jonwo
#40Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 10:05pm

The Nederlander hasn't seen crowds like that since Rent. Looks like Disney will be recouping that $5m investment fairly quickly.

It wouldn't surprise me if a tour is in the pipeline, it seems like the type of show that could tour with only minor modifications.

pharmer2000 Profile Photo
pharmer2000
#41Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/16/12 at 11:05pm

I was also at the first preview, and this was the most exciting and energetic first preview that I have been to, and I have been to a lot of them. I am fortunate to have been to 2 performances at Papermill, so I really got to see the development of Newsies as it transitioned to Broadway. I did not think that it was possible to improve on Jeremy Jordan's amazing performance, but last night he proved to be a true professional by expanding and developing on his already outstanding portrayal of Jack Kelly. I agree totally with Adamgreer's previous comments about Newsies. Kara Lindsay is truly charming as Catherine and really adds a new dimension to the show. I was extremely pleased by the character development by John Dossett (Pulitzer), Ben Fankhauser (Davey), and Ryan Breslin (race). These three have made major enhancements to their characters since the first preview at Papermill. The entire cast really did an amazing job and should be very proud of their show. The enhancements to the show by the creative team of Menken, Feldman, Fierstein, Gattelli and Calhoun was very apparent and really tightened the show up. The reworking of the existing songs and the additional songs really make this an exciting experience when you are expecting one thing and get something even bigger and better. I look forward to seeing Newsies a few more times during this limited run.

Updated On: 3/16/12 at 11:05 PM

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#42Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/17/12 at 12:11am

I imagine the set at Papermill was built/designed to be moved or to tour (like what they did with Follies at the KC) - since nobody knew what would become of either production.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#43Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/17/12 at 3:21am

I too was at the first preview and while the energy was amazing and the dance numbers were fantastic I myself had a hard time seeing past the mediocre material. Even as a lover of the movie I felt like disney "disneyfied" their own film and I just dont have the same place in my heart for it. The dancing was amazing and that is the real draw of the show but I hope some more changes will be made. Pullitzer and Medda's songs were both kind of terrible IMO. I do think though in the end the show will be an audience pleaser and a hit.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#44Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/17/12 at 5:05am

I haven't seen the show, I'm hoping to get over from the UK at some point, I've only seen the View performance and little show footage from the Papermill. I understand the show seems to be all spectacular and less substance, but I don't remember the the film every really having meaty material either.
The fact that this is having an effect of a younger audience is great and as much as I've enjoyed the American Idiots of the world (yes I enjoyed it, deal with it) it's nice so see an 'old fashioned' show with dazzling choreography back on Broadway. What's more, there's no stunt casting, and yet, shock horror, they have a star in the lead.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the limited run end on or around the Tony's? I can't see that staying put can you?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/17/12 at 8:00am

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the limited run end on or around the Tony's?

Yup, the current final performance is the afternoon of the Tonys. I don't think anyone expects that to be the actual closing performance, however.

notabb
#46Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/17/12 at 8:45am

NEWSIES most valuable player award surely goes to Christopher Gattelli. His dances provide the high points of the show ( using the best of the Menken/Feldman songs ) . I'm sure he would tip his hat to NEWSIES incredible crew of dancers who looked overjoyed and overwhelmed by the audience love flowing to them. So You Think you Can Dance fans will be happy to see 3 of it's best on stage , Alex Wong , Jess LeProtto and the charismatic Evan Kasprzak. And wait til you see Jesse and Evan kick off the spoons dance section. Sometimes you see a show that you can almost feel the joy radiating from a happy audience. More discerning theater goers will see the lesser songs and sometimes clunky book but even they I think will still have a pretty good time. It's a shame the book has Andrew Keenan-Bolger off-stage for so much of the second act. He's the perfect Crutchie. And our Les last night , Matthew Schechter , stopped the damn show with his line reading when his thrown out of the Pulitzer building. Limited engagement , I don't think so.

notabb
#47Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:03am

In my list of the wonderful So You Think You Can Dance people in NEWSIES I left off Thayne Jasperson, sorry Thayne.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#48Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 12:46pm

I read that ticket sales for this and Evita have both been soaring. Do you think there will be a chance of the show extending past its limited run on Broadway?

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#49Disney's NEWSIES On Broadway -- Previews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 1:08pm

If the reviews are good and sales continue to climb there will surely be an extension. Especially if they're nominated for Best Musical (which I'm sure they will be in this season) and perform a showstopper on the Tony telecast.