pixeltracker

Why Is Leap On Broadway???- Page 4

Why Is Leap On Broadway???

djdan1079
#75Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 12:04pm

I'm confused as to why an out of towner's opinion of a show is somehow less important than the "industry professionals" that seem to post here. It seems so condescending to talk about tourists "clapping and leaping to their feet" after every song. Is there something wrong with tourists enjoying themselves at a show?? And shouldn't we be happy that the "tourists" are seeing theatre, even at a discount price, because it's good for the business and keeps people employed?? Doesn't that mean they will be inclined to pay to see ANOTHER show upon their next visit?? Furthermore, wouldn't it be great if we weren't all so jaded and full of snobbery that we could allow ourselves to enjoy a show that way.

The bottom line is that my opinion of a show as an out of towner who visits 2x a year to see shows is no more or less important than your opinion. Hey, I said terrible things about Lyssie Jones and Clear Day. I happened to enjoy my night at LOF, despite the show's flaws. There is room for everything if audiences will pay to see it. Spiderman is doing just fine as a "tourist show" raking in 1.5 million a week. Did I like it? No. However, somebody obviously does. At the end of the day, art is subjective and our opinions are only the "truth" to us and us alone.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#76Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 12:10pm

"Is there something wrong with tourists enjoying themselves at a show??"

In a word, yes.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#77Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 1:13pm

"Did thomeone tell you I'm really into pith?"

OK, now I really LOL'd! a gem.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#78Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 1:21pm

djdan, don't even give it a second thought.

There are people on this board, and the other, who consider themselves "sophisticated" and believe that their opinions are facts and not just opinions. They can't stand it when others like something which they consider inferior.

They REALLY don't understand the whole concept of the word OPINION and that there's no right nor wrong opinion. Yours is just as valuable as theirs.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#79Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 1:35pm

That's your opinion, Jane.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#80Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 1:37pm

That's your opinion, newintown.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#81Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 1:40pm

In your humble opinion, growl.

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#82Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 2:10pm

You people must be the elitist the Tea Party talks about.

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#83Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 2:13pm

God, I hope so.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#84Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 2:17pm

"That's your opinion, Jane."

Exactly. Now try to respect it.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#85Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/12/12 at 2:19pm

Madame, respect is earned, and so far, you're only getting points for that terrific hat. (Or is that your hair?)

Updated On: 4/12/12 at 02:19 PM

tmbyru Profile Photo
tmbyru
#86Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/25/12 at 3:48pm

Oh ladies, behave. It's obviously a tunic.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#87Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/25/12 at 4:39pm

"God, I hope so."

ROFL so true, so true, so true, so true, so true, so true, so true

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#88Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/25/12 at 8:23pm

"If so many books felt that way, then it was a sentiment shared by many. Myself included.

There's a reason why the term " golden age" refers to the previous period. Perhaps you might try to understand why.

Your opposing view may simply mean you're a minority of one. "

It may, but I've heard others who feel the same--Stephen Flaherty in his new interview here for one. I think ti is sorta a generational thing as to what one's golden age is--though I have great love for other eras, the 70s are overall where the majority of my favorite musicals (not plays) come from. You're, I'm just guessing here of course, older than me, so it's not too surprising an earlier era when you first really got into musicals (even though I wasn't born until 1980) would be yours. I have read books, etc, more recently that don't subscribe to the 1970s was the start of the death of the Broadway musical theory. It's an interesting discussion though, Thanks After8.

Matt2 Profile Photo
Matt2
#89Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/25/12 at 11:08pm

Eric, you can count me in the "minority" who has many favorite Broadway shows from the 70s. Company, Follies, A Little Night Music, Pippin, Chicago, A Chorus Line, Mack and Mabel, On the Twentieth Century, Ain't Misbehavin' The Act, Sweeney Todd, and Evita are just some of the wonderful shows the decade brought us.

redmustang
#90Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/26/12 at 12:07am

I guess I'm in the minority, too. In addition to Matt's list, I enjoyed Pacific Overtures, Applause, Shenandoah, Annie, and The Wiz.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#91Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/26/12 at 2:20am

It's nice to know I'm not a minority of one, after all Why Is Leap On Broadway???                                          Phew. Good lists, although I admit I've never been too big into Shenandoah...

Going back to After8's post (though I should know better), I do understand why the previous era is known as the Golden Age. And I love so much from it--I just have more absolutely favorite shows in the 70s... I never said that I didn't understand why many felt the 70s was the death of Broadway musicals, but I stand by that it's all about perspective and opinion. I don't find that so hard to grasp.

After Eight
#92Why Is Leap On Broadway???
Posted: 4/26/12 at 6:56am

"I think ti is sorta a generational thing as to what one's golden age is--though I have great love for other eras, the 70s are overall where the majority of my favorite musicals (not plays) come from. You're, I'm just guessing here of course, older than me, so it's not too surprising an earlier era when you first really got into musicals (even though I wasn't born until 1980) would be yours."

Another presumptuous, ill-thought, even self-contradictory assertion. These egocentrics are truly something. Since they feel the world began when they were born, others would of course feel similarly about their own lives. Well others don't.

And it would be so nice if people wouldn't presume to tell others what they think and why they think it.

Updated On: 4/26/12 at 06:56 AM