TDF?

Zachmanroolz
#1TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 9:32am

I am going to be in New York from May 22nd through the 27th. I am still looking for tickets for that Saturday. I am not fond of rushes or lotteries, I prefer to know that I have tickets for sure. I was thinking of joining TDF. I live in Chicago though so would the membership be worth it for one day of tickets (a matinee and evening)? I feel like I read somewhere that if you live out of town you can get a discounted membership, is that ture? If so how do I do that? Also is there good shows available on the weekend and would I be able to get three tickets to each? Thanks.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#2TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 10:35am

TDF National Membership (for those outside of NYC) is only $12 a year. If there are two shows you want to see on that date that are available on TDF, you would easily save that much money on the tickets, which are in the range of $35-45 for Broadway shows. I think you probably have to already be a member to see what's on offer for a particular date, but if you ask here, I'd be glad to check for you. Note that a lot of shows send tickets to TDF closer to the date of the show, so additional shows will pop up between now and then (and of course some will disappear as tickets are sold).

TDF is only available for people in one of these groups:

full-time students (high school or above)
full-time teachers
recent graduates (26 years of age and under)
union members
retirees (no longer working and at least 62 years of age or older)
civil service employees
staff members of not-for-profit organizations
non-exempt employees
performing arts professionals
members of the armed forces or clergy

For information on the National Membership, click the link below.
TDF National Membership

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#2TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 10:37am

Let me add that your TDF membership starts as soon as you pay the fee; you can start buying tickets immediately. You have 30 days to send in proof that you qualify as a member of one of those groups. Take from that what you will.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 11:35am

Just be aware that all shows are not available -- additionally not all shows are available for all performances, and Saturday perfs are often the slimmest pickin's.

What shows are you hoping to snag? B'way? Off B'way?

Even a regular membership is worth it....even if you only buy one b'way ticket over the entire year.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#4TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 11:45am

Tickets cost $35-45 and wondering where they are generally located.

dramamama611
#5TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 12:18pm

They can be anywhere, and you don't know until you pick them up. I've had everything from center orchestra, to front mezz to rear mezz.

For 40 bucks, the seating is secondary.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#6TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 12:24pm

Oh - you can definitely buy three tickets with your membership. In fact, I think you can buy up to nine.

dramamama611
#7TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 12:31pm

^Kdogg is right...however, once you buy tix for one performance, you cannot buy more for the same performance (keeping one from buying gads of them to scalp)

WishIWereHere2
#8TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 3:33pm

To add onto this, I'm also going to be in NYC that week. Out of curiosity, how often are Peter and the Starcatcher tickets on TDF? If they're up frequently than I might as well join otherwise I'll just use the 59 dollar rear mezz discount code.

dramamama611
#9TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 3:37pm

It's not currently listed for any performances for Peter. Of course, that could change tomorrow. Or the day after.

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#10TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 5:13pm

How far into the future are shows offered at the discounted price?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 5:29pm

however, once you buy tix for one performance, you cannot buy more for the same performance

That's not true. I've often bought tickets for a performance and then gone back and bought more tickets for the same performance, if people have decided they want to join me or whatnot. You can't buy more than the allotted number (which is nine as kdogg says) but there is nothing that requires you to buy all your tickets at one time.

I agree with what others have said, that a TDF membership is always a plus. As dramamama said, even if you only buy one ticket a year, the cost of membership ($30 or $12 if you qualify for national membership) plus one ticket ($40-ish) is going to be less than what you'd even usually pay at the TKTS booth.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 5/13/12 at 05:29 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#12TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 8:27pm

I highly recommend joining TDF... especially at 12 bucks.
They always have something good.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#13TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 8:36pm

How far into the future are shows offered at the discounted price?

This varies quite widely. For Broadway shows, a few days up to 2 weeks or so seems typical. Some off- and off-off-Broadway shows are offered much farther in advance.

dramamama611
#14TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 9:11pm

Granted, I never tried before...but I seem to remember a message SAYING you couldn't get more -- but perhaps the meaning was you cannot exceed the 9. My misunderstanding then.

Bway tix are often only a week or two in advance (sometimes only a few days)

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#15TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 11:29pm

The idea of joining really has my interest piqued....out of curiosity, have Evita or Newsies been on there recently? Not coming out till July, but curious about those two shows.

Updated On: 5/14/12 at 11:29 PM

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#16TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 11:37pm

No, nor will they be. Only shows that are struggling to sell tickets, even at discounts, put anything on TDF. Since those shows are selling well WITHOUT discounts, no chance they'll be on TDF for a single date for the foreseeable future.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#17TDF?
Posted: 5/13/12 at 11:58pm

Good to know. Thanks... How about Ghost, Once and Godspell? Figure I might as well ask! Thanks again for your time to read and respond!

broadwaydevil
#18TDF?
Posted: 5/14/12 at 12:10am

No problem:

Ghost has been on for a few performances during the week, haven't seen any on weekends in a while.

Once hasn't been on since it picked up all those Tony noms and sales have been supposedly very strong.

Godspell is regularly on for tons of performances including weekends.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

gfaustswa Profile Photo
gfaustswa
#19TDF?
Posted: 5/14/12 at 12:12am

You rock! Thanks for the info. Helps me plan which rush/lottery tickets to go for. Sounds like I should hit Godspell on the weekend. Thanks again.

broadwaydevil
#20TDF?
Posted: 5/14/12 at 12:14am

No problem!

Videos