pixeltracker

New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?

New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?

nrosky Profile Photo
nrosky
#1New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 11:50am

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 11:56am

I'm calling "Newsies" the winner. "Once" is great and has a lot of momentum with awards this season, but I wouldn't be surprised/am predicting that "Newsies" pulled an upset. Reminds me of the "Avenue Q"/"Wicked" situation.

TheatreKid3
#2New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 12:01pm

^ Me as well! NEWSIES, however surprising it may seem, IS the AVENUE Q in this scenario. In this year, the roles of the artistic and traditional musical have been reversed. That season and MEMPHIS over FELA! (which, despite not be eligible for awards other than the Tonys against MEMPHIS, I thought had much more momentum going into the Tonys).

ChildrenwillListen
#3New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 1:47pm

I really want Once to win. I hope it comes pretty close

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:53pm

I would think that answer was found with the BWW Awards -- why would the result on this thread be any different?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jonwo
#5New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 3:56pm

I think Once will edge Newsies but I will be happy either show wins.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#6New Poll: What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/8/12 at 5:59pm

"Once" is great and has a lot of momentum with awards this season, but I wouldn't be surprised/am predicting that "Newsies" pulled an upset. Reminds me of the "Avenue Q"/"Wicked" situation."

It reminds me of the Avenue Q/Wicked competition as well. Which is why I think the smaller show with the better reviews will win.

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#7What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/9/12 at 3:05am

jacobsnchz14 wrote: I'm calling NEWSIES the winner. ONCE is great and has a lot of momentum with awards this season, but I wouldn't be surprised/am predicting that NEWSIES pulled an upset. Reminds me of the AVENUE Q/WICKED situation.

Perhaps your comparison works when taking awards momentum into consideration and that it would be an upset if NEWSIES won in that regard, but in terms of the profiles of the shows themselves, I think it's fair to say that ONCE is the equivalent of AVENUE Q and NEWSIES that of WICKED. The Tony Awards got it right when the Best Musical prize went to AVENUE Q. Whether they'll get it right this year remains to be seen.

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8What Show Do You Think Will Take Home a Tony for 'Best Musical'?
Posted: 6/9/12 at 3:10am

The Broadway World Awards already showed that Newsies has the audience advantage. These are the same awards where Godspell won best revival though, so I do not take them seriously. I think the Tony on Sunday is going to go to Once, and rightfully so.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "