Cafe Carlyle Questions

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#1Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:25pm

I'm going to Laura Osnes' show tonight. It's my first time at the venue and had a few questions.

• What do you typically wear? Is a deep purple cocktail dress with a rhinestone neckline too fancy/formal or appropriate? If it's too formal, what do you suggest? Tailored tan or black khaki-type pants? Floral skirt? I am limited in my ideas and options, kind of suck a putting together nicer outfits, and hate stressing over what to wear.

• Are all the seats/tables good views? I've heard it's really not a large venue, but I am very short and wondered if anyone has had any problems with seeing/sightlines.

• How long does the show go? If you haven't been to Laura Osnes' show in particular, an educated guess is still appreciated.

Thanks for any replies!

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#2Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:32pm

Men are required to wear jackets, so I would think a cocktail dress (or any of the other outfits) is very appropriate (you will see people severely under dressed and over dressed). So don't stress about the attire too much.

Have you called to make a reservation? If so, I would do so, especially since Jeremy Jordan is there tonight, so it's going to be a hot ticket. They do dinner seatings every half hour from 6:30-7:30. But you are not requrired to attend for dinner (there is a cover charge, but no minimum for food/drink).

All seats are not equal, but she works the room very nicely so there isn't a true BAD seat.

The show runs for about an hour an 10 minutes.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 2:55pm

You can also sit at the bar, which has great sightlines.

It's a pretty expensive proposition, but it's one of the coolest old-school places in New York, and well worth the splurge. You'll probably remember the evening for a very long time.

Dress in whatever you have that you feel elegant but comfortable in. And make sure you get a picture of yourself.

Enjoy!

broadway_show_fan
#3Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:04pm

Lefou and PalJoey, thanks so much for your reassurances, suggestions and info!

Lefou - I had seen the info about guys and jackets, but I didn't know what level of dressiness that meant for a gal. I think I'll base my outfit on whatever my show companion is going to do too. At least if we are in balance with one another, neither of us will feel like idiots.

I have called to make a dinner reservation for 6:30. My hope is that the earlier dinner time will give us advantage for our table, but who knows. I specifically chose tonight because Jeremy would be there, and I'm sure there might be others who are equally as excited about going for that reason.

PJ - I'm not a drinker, so sitting at the bar would make me look a little odd as I drank a diet Coke. =/ But, I do hope that this is something I will remember for as close to forever as possible.

I actually got a great deal on this night out thanks to Bloomspot, a deal-offer website. It was for $99 for a 3-course dinner (tax and tip included) and the show. That made the price a little bit easier to handle, so we went for it! I'm very excited.

Thanks again!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#4Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:16pm

You'll love the Cafe Carlyle. It's so elegant, and such a wonderful place to be.

Don't worry about not drinking when sitting at the bar. I don't drink at all, and have drank many a Coke at The Cafe Carlye's Bar & at Feinstein's, as well. As long as you meet the minimum, then you're just fine!

Good for you for getting the $99 rate. That's a very, very good price. Enjoy!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#5Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:42pm

As long as you meet the minimum and tip the bartender, you mean!

show_fan--that sounds like a great deal. Always a good idea to get there early--and the maitre d at the Carlyle is SOMETIMES susceptible to a sweet smile and a "This is our first time here and we're such big fans of Laura's--we were hoping for a nice table, if that's possible"...especially if you have a folded $5 or $10 bill in your hand and place it in his.

But if you're not up for table-wrangling, don't worry: The Carlyle is so intimate that even the seats on the side and the ends of the room are still good. Sit back, look at the beautiful Vertes murals, enjoy your meal and feel the history of the room around you: Bobby Short, Woody Allen, Barbara Cook, Elaine Stritch, Eartha Kitt...and you are there for Laura Osnes's debut engagement!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#6Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:46pm

Yes, PalJoey - tip the bartender. Absolutely.

It's unfortunate how many people don't tip their bartender or server.

broadway_show_fan
#7Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 3:46pm

PJ - hehehe. Perhaps I will. We'll see how sweet I feel in this 90-degree stickiness.

I'm excited to finally get to see this place and, just as you said, be where all these legendary performers once stood and drew out smiles, laughter, and tears from their sell-out audiences. If only I could time-travel!

As an aside, PalJoey (or any others), what have your favorite Carlyle memories been thus far?

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#8Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 4:00pm

Elaine Strich & Barbara Cook. They were incredible. Just thrilling to see them.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 4:05pm

My favorites:

My first time there, dressing up and sneaking in at age 16, with my then-girlfriend (before I started having then-boyfriends) to see Bobby Short. All of our friends were going to rock concerts but we thought we were Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. Bobby Short sang some obscure Cole Porter, including his electrifying version of "Rap Tap on Wood," and the next day I started listening to as much Cole Porter as I could, the more obscure, the better.

Going to see Eartha Kitt with my partner, who was a huge fan of hers. As she made her way to the little stage through the audience, she happened to pause by his side. She could see that he was one of those adoring fans and she growled at him.

Going to see Barbara Cook with a friend who was visiting from out of town. It was during a blizzard in February and it was difficult to get around the city and impossible to get in from out of the city. We ended up being 3 of about a dozen or so people there and we thought they were going to cancel the performance and send us away. Instead they sat us all ringside, and we proceeded to have what amounted to a private concert by Barbara Cook.

Going back to see Barbara Cook with a dear friend during a tough time for both of us. We decided, "Oh, what the hell!" and ordered a bottle of Champagne and a full dinner plus dessert. We didn't care what it cost--and it cost a lot! We held hands and cried our eyes out during some of Barbara's sadder ballads, and I think we both felt better after, even if we did look like a terribly odd couple to some of the other patrons.

I've spent a lot of money in my life on things I probably should not have. But for what I've spent at the Carlyle, the memories I have are priceless.

And I love Laura Osnes! I'm very jealous that you're seeing her. Remember everything!

Updated On: 6/28/12 at 04:05 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9Cafe Carlyle Questions

Cafe Carlyle Questions

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#11Cafe Carlyle Questions

Cafe Carlyle Questions

bobs3
#12Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 4:18pm

It is a beautiful, intimate venue. Pricey but well worth the expense. The first time I went, Andrea Marcovicci was performing and she was superb. Men must wear jackets (no jeans) but I've seen women in everything from cocktail dresses to pants/blouse ensembles. Even if you got a prix fix for dinner & the show (including the tip) it is considered appropriate to leave the waiter a little extra on top of that (especially if you order cocktails).

Updated On: 6/28/12 at 04:18 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#13Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/28/12 at 5:10pm

Sutton Foster at the Cafe Carlyle

Cafe Carlyle Questions

Elaine Stritch at the Cafe Carlyle

Cafe Carlyle Questions

Paolo Szot at the Cafe Carlyle

Cafe Carlyle Questions

Judy Collins and Hillary Clinton at the Cafe Carlyle

Cafe Carlyle Questions

broadway_show_fan
#14Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 10:04am

Well, I think I had the time of my life last night! Thank you to all who were helpful with your comments, and also for sharing all those lovely memories! (Keep 'em comin' - I'm obsessed now!) Here's a rather long review of my whole night (not counting the cab disaster getting home). Read on if you're interested and sorry for the long post!

For anyone who is on the edge of his/her seat dying to know what I wore (ha), I went with the dark purple cocktail dress which has a beaded neckline, a silver leaf-shaped bracelet and black heels with a ruffle design.

Comedic bit: I looked like a fool on my way there at 5:30. I live in the Bronx and had to take the D, transfer at 161st for the 4, then transfer at 86th for the 6, which involved a LOT of scurrying, stairs, and - stares. I guess it's not every day that the people in the Bronx see a gal running around in a cocktail dress and flip-flops (heels in my bag). Let's just say it was challenging, especially in that gawdawful heat!

Amazingly, I got there in record time (left apartment at 5:30, arrived at 77th St. before 6?!) and had a half-hour to calm down before my 6:30 reservation. We got to the Carlyle, a doorman pushed the revolving door for me (!), and from then on I knew it was going to be a spectacular kind of night. The bathroom was even pretty and fancy. When we got in, there was a guy fixing his hair in the mirror who went "Is this the LADIES' room?!" and then ran off, forgot his phone, then had to come back, knock, and creep in to retrieve it!

We got to the cafe just before 6:30. It's kind of twisting-turning to get there. The curtains behind the glass door hadn't been drawn yet, so I was a little unsure and timid. Thankfully, a waiter very kindly greeted us and brought us in. We were the very first people there. I had wanted an early reservation to try to get a good table and to be able to savor the "event" of the night without rushing. We were seated right in the center of the room at the third table back from the "Steinway & Sons" mark on the piano - in other words, perfect seating. So glad for that!

It was a little odd at first because we were the only ones there for a little while and all the wait staff stood by the front and kind of watched us. They were so adorable - all snazzy - as they reviewed the prix fixe menu that was created for the deal that was offered on Bloomspot, which I had purchased. It was a choice of soup du jour (which was cauliflower) or spring green salad, salmon or coq au vin, and French vanilla cheesecake or ice cream/sherbet. We relaxed and took our time, soaking in all the murals, the look and feel of the cozy little place, and the energy that you could feel in there.

We ordered (one each of appetizers and entrees, both ordered cheesecake), and continued to just soak it all in. To sum up the food: delicious, delicate, savory - just wonderful. Even the breads were great. We tasted a little of everything on the plates and I can see why people go and are willing to pay so much for these plates. It was worth it!

People started trickling in slowly at the bar and a few other tables. I saw what you meant about a variety of outfits. I think my outfit placed me on the dressier side of the spectrum, and on the opposite side, I saw a whole gamut: jeans, casual dresses, business casual outfits, even a bandanna (?), and a guy without a jacket who was brought one from the wait staff. I wouldn't have been comfortable in anything less than dress pants. The place just exudes elegance. And it was a "fancy" night for me, so it was fun dressing up.

The show was absolutely wonderful. Laura Osnes had on this amazing maroon-sparkly strapless dress with her hair elegantly swept to the side. She opened with "How 'bout a Dance," had a bit where she had some "confessions" about nerves and did "I Have Confidence" (with some edits to tailor it to her stint at the Carlyle). She and her special guest, Jeremy Jordan, had a ball doing the cut song from Bonnie and Clyde and "Anything You Can Do." She had a lovely, touching tribute to her mother, who passed a year ago, and closed out with "Dream a Little Dream of Me" and an Irving Berlin encore. I just loved her entire set and couldn't believe the hour and ten minutes flew by so fast.

She and Jeremy stayed around in the little lobby to sign copies of the Bonnie and Clyde CD. We got Frank Wildhorn to sign it as well. I felt bad about interrupting him but we did so after another person had, and we really and truly loved B&C and enjoyed Wonderland, and it was nice to say hello and thank him in person. He was polite but fairly cold and it was the only time in the evening where I felt bad about something.

The wait staff didn't even bring a check because of the deal. I didn't leave anything extra for the wait staff and now feel kind of bad about it, but the deal did include tax and 20%. I didn't have any cash on me anyway, so not sure what I would've done. They were an exceptional staff, though, and their warm welcome and excellent service, plus the gorgeous decor, delectable food, intimate setting, and absolutely perfect performance from Laura Osnes made it a perfect first experience at the Cafe Carlyle and I'm sure I'll be back!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 10:15am

^^^Love this!

bobs3
#16Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 3:41pm

I am glad your evening was pleasurable experience for you. In the past ten years, I've probably been to Cafe Carlyle a dozen times and I've never had an unmemorable night. It is like being transported back in time to an era when many luxury hotels had dinner shows (of course I've only read about them since hotels such as the Waldorf-Astoria, The Plaza, St. Regis, The Pierre, etc. have long since closed their showrooms). Next time you are there, I suggest going to Bemelman's Bar for an after show cocktail.

Updated On: 6/30/12 at 03:41 PM

broadway_show_fan
#17Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 3:54pm

PalJoey, love YOU! I'm a long-time admirer of your thoughtful, informative and personal comments that give insight, critical analysis, an educated opinion and sometimes just a good smile or laugh.

I'm STILL on cloud 9 from last night, and I have to say that the reheated, leftover burger I ate today tasted really bland after last night's high-class meal. If I was filthy rich, I'd go there often. Somehow I feel like this place is not the kind that would be any less special if I went once or one hundred times.

bobs3, who was your favorite out of the roughly dozen performers?

Anyone, any dream performers? I would love Kelli O'Hara and Audra McDonald.

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#18Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 3:58pm

A Danny Burnstein/Rebecca Luker act, a la Mazzie and Danieley

broadway_show_fan
#19Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 4:03pm

Wynbish, that would be so fantastic. Has Cheyenne Jackson ever done a Cafe Carlyle show? I'd love that too. I went to Jane Krakowski's show at the Town Hall and he guest-appeared. It was the first time I'd seen him live since he did Damn Yankees at Encores! several summers ago, and I remembered just how much I missed seeing him on Broadway.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#20Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 4:26pm

Cheyenne did Feinstein's, when he did his CD with Michael Feinstein.

Feinstein's is just as much of a splurge as the Carlyle--and the performers are often fantastic--but it lacks the old-world elegance of the Carlyle.

The place we're all going to find what looking for, however, is the new 54 Below.

http://54below.com/

And wynbish--Rebecca Luker is there for two nights next week! Without Danny but singing Jerome Kern, which should be gorgeous!

Updated On: 6/29/12 at 04:26 PM

broadway_show_fan
#21Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/29/12 at 5:00pm

PalJoey, have you been to 54Below yet? I was interested in going at some point and just looked at their list of performers/dates and am blown away by how I could fill my calendar and spend my salary there. Already. Oy.

bobs3
#22Cafe Carlyle Questions
Posted: 6/30/12 at 12:53am

Favorites out of a dozen or so performers?

Andrea Marcovicci (twice), Barbara Cook (because she was Barbara Cook), Betty Buckley, and particularly John Pizzarelli (who I had never heard of but went to see at a friend's insistence -- he turned out to be amazing).

At the Pizzarelli show there were no tables available so we sat at the bar, drank Old Fashioneds, and had a wonderful time. My friend said she felt like Holly Golightly.

Updated On: 6/30/12 at 12:53 AM